As a Californian, I'm very curious about this place. Tell me about it

As a Californian, I'm very curious about this place. Tell me about it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yHnmtv9QM60
youtube.com/watch?v=cX_kbIVxl_o
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waffle_House_Index
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I miss when you could smoke in them. They were the last hold out of what you would call a real man's diner. Only truckers and drunks.go there and all the waitresses are burnt out or drug addicts. Legit my favorite restaurant.

T. Coon ass.

It's a house that, get this, serves waffles.

But how's the food?

Fucking fantastic. Only get the breakfast or the burger. Never had anything else.

Oh and make sure the dude cooking it is a huge black guy or a strung out white dude. It makes the flavors come out more. Even better if they smoke while they cook.

Here's a video of a Californian telling a story about his first Waffle House visit.

youtube.com/watch?v=yHnmtv9QM60

It's absolutely fucking delicious. It's where the stoners, drunks, and truckers go. They should have them at every truck stop instead of Denny's.

It's okay. Their burgers and breakfasts are decent, everything else ranges from "meh" to "how did they manage to water down SOLID FOOD?"

It says waffles, but don't get the waffles. Get the hash browns. Get them ALL THE WAY.

I was expecting some.dumbass liberal shit but that story was perfect. I mean 100% spot on.

Foods great though man. Oh word of advice only go between midnight and 4 am. Trust me, the show is better.

and gravy on your hashbrowns

It's a magical place, Waffle House

drunk or sober, fucking based as fuck user

Do Americans really eat this stuff?

only been once
went for breakfast

chocolate waffles, hashbrowns, coffee.

waitress didn't refill my coffee even though i asked her to.
7/10.

Do people really shitpost?

Do Americans really get so triggered?

da fuck is dis

This was my go to study spot in college. I kept really weird hours, so I'd go there around 1-2am, enjoy decent unlimited coffee and work for a few hours, then order a delicious breakfast once I was done.

>scrambled eggs with cheese
>hash browns with onion and cheese

>triggered
wtf i hate myself now

haskbrown with bacon cheese and sauteed unyums

Common thing for Americans to do I suppose.

had it once at 5AM in the morning after writing a paper since nothing else was open

even sleep deprived and hungry as fuck it sucked. the ham had the consistency of an old tire, the eggs were runny as fuck, and the toast they give you is made from the whitest white bread imaginable I don't think a single thing of the original grain was in there

Don't really get why people like this place when there's IHOP or even better, a good breakfast place that isn't a shitty chain

10/10 memeing

>Triple hashbrowns, scattered all the way
>Pot of coffee
It cures whatever ails you.

Do Americans really like to meme?

Finally a real response

11/10 meme

No, that's the meme

>IHOP
>Paying $10 for overrated pancakes

Greasy salty and flavorless

If only Americans were as good at cooking as they are at being memes.

>memeing a meme

Nice

>They should have them at every truck stop instead of Denny's.

Fuck yes. Fuck Denny's.

Angus patty melt, hash browns cooked with onion smothered in cheese. OJ, coffee and keep the hot sauce coming.

There is a WF a BLOCK away, I could walk there but then I'd have to deal with fellow basketball americans.

Whoops, finger slipped, that's WH not WF

kill me now

This is believable. I went to Georgia Tech and ate at waffle house off campus probably at least once a week or more. Many times at 2 and 3 in the morning while pulling an all nighter.

Normally its a normal dining experience. But the way they run the place - especially the graveyard shift is sketchy as fuck. They usually just have one cook and one waitress to run the whole show. At 2 in the morning with 6 tables an hour thats probably fine. But when they have a rush - that cook and waitress are FUCKED.

If you catch the 'house at the wrong time, with the wrong strung out waiter/waitress things get really interesting.

I had 2 experiences which are worth mentioning.

1 Waiter was so strung out and over worked, we ordered a slice of pie, and he just brought the whole pie and a knife and a plate and told us to slice ourselves off a slice of whatever size we want. My buddy brian, like out of a cartoon, cuts out a slice, then lifts the REST of the pie out of the tin and puts it on a plate for the table. Waiter did not give a fuck and just applauded Brain. It was awesome.

Another time (kind of like in the video) the waitress and cook had HAD IT WITH EACH OTHER, and the waitress just starts picking up plates where she had dressed the plates to indicate the orders and just starts CHUCKING THEM AT THE WALL AND THEY ARE SHATTERING EVERYWHERE.

We were in the middle of our meal and just got up and left. That bitch was obviously on crack or meth.

Waffle house is the greatest. The people that work there are the lowest paid, amazing people on the earth.

Great Bourdain Video - the tasting menu at Waffle House:

Waffle House can vary widely in quality based on location and timing.

I went to this Waffle House near my uni on the first of the month, they day that all the surrounding basketball Americans get their welfare checks, and the place was popping. There had to be around 30 black people there. The place was so loud and the ebonics could be heard in the parking lot. The waitresses were doing nothing but talking and the only person actually working was this poor college kid on the grill doing everything while the place crashed and burned around him. The food was okay. Good considering that one guy was cooking for 30 people in an hour.

If you go to a Waffle House in the country, however, where there are old people waitresses and cooks, prepare for the best breakfast of your life for 7$. Sweet old ladies who top of your coffee and chat with you.

>vid deserves its own post

************************************************************************************

Anthony Bourdain - The tasting menu at Waffle House:

************************************************************************************

for the money it is hard to beat. I hate the fake oil/butter they use on hashbrowns & eggs.

Jim Gaffingan said it best " Imagine a service station restroom that serves waffles"

That was heartwarming to watch

One of only 2 places in my city where you can eat between 11pm and 6am. They have $6 combos that are pretty good deals, especially the grit bowl combo. As long as their grits aren't dried out or swimming in faux butter the grit bowl is everything you could ask for in a breakfast meal. Personally, I find their chili and their hashbrowns to be only ok on their own, but if you get the chilli as a topping to the hashbrows it's heavenly.

how can you stand to watch/listen to this with the fucked up audio

Georgian here, Waffle House is like a religion around here. There's one, and sometimes even two, at every interstate exit. Personally I love it. I'm allergic to eggs, so I always get their hashbrowns scattered, topped, capped, diced, and covered, with a side of grits.

you boys need to make sure you go late at night

The chef's table music is hilarious

It's basically a watered down Denny's. Breakfast is decent, coffee is decent. Never get anything other than breakfast foods. I had one of the biggest mistakes of my life. The pork chops are horrendous. Undercooked, yet tougher than leather.

This is about right, I don't do the hot sauce or cheese on the browns

Also I rarely drink coke but for me a patty melt plate is perfect with a coke

Been to a ton of waffle houses of varying quality across the country and never experienced anything like this.

I'm jealous

It wouldn't be a trip to waffle house without the blue glow of police car lights flashing

I sing its praises if you go there in the deep of the night. Some of the most pleasant chats I've had with friends or strangers were around three AM over hashbrowns Topped and Country.

>cheap as fuck
>good as fuck
>staff and patrons are all actual degenerates

I go twice a month and pay i don't get shot, but it's worth it.

It's really well edited and put together. I got a huge kick out of the music too.

>make it a late night

And drink too. You CAN go to waffle house sober, and it will still be amazing. However, if you go drunk at 2 AM, it can be a proper religious experience.

My buds and I used to play 20 dollar buy-in no limit poker and drink till 12 or 1 in the morning... Then.. if we were really having fun and one of us was sober enough we'd go hit the Wa Ho. Those were some fun times.

Denny's and Ihop might have bigger menus, but their menus aren't better they are just bigger. And Wa Ho has an ambiance, an atmosphere, a sense of adventure and mystery. Other restaurants - all other restaurants - can't even come close.

For me, its gotta be a grilled chicken salad - chicken on the side. Large bowl of grits. Double order of hash browns peppered and covered. When it shows up, chuck the chicken into the grits, add pepper and stir to cover the chicken and keep it warm. Start with the salad. Move onto the browns, while eating the browns toss a couple jalapenos into the grits too. then finish with the grits, salted and peppered heavily.

That was an extremely intense story

My brother used to race at a local track years ago and by the time the races were over the only place left open was Waffle house so we would occasionally go there at about 1-2am.

Most of the time it was very calm and it was usually just our family and maybe one other table in the place. Service was always great and food really hit the spot that late.

The best night at waffle house ever involved a woman with a pile of papers screaming into her phone about calling the cops yelling at her BF? trying to work out all sorts of relationship drama (I think he may have cheated on her or something) like we weren't even there. Pretty sure she was strung out on meth or something as well. This went on for a good 30 min before she walked outside and continued on the phone.

My grandparents have also decided over the last couple of years that our new Christmas eve tradition should be to have dinner at Waffle House. The very same waffle house that had its window shot out just a few weeks prior.

TL;DR Go after midnight to see strung out crack heads screaming into their phones and watch relationships implode. ALSO get the hashbrowns with chili/cheese/onions and slap on some hot sauce.

I'm a senior at Tech now and it seems like it's changed since then. I hardly ever go to the one in Tech Square since I live on the other side of campus but there's always a shitton of staff there even late at night. I dont think I've ever been there except on Friday/Saturday after parties so it might be different in the middle of the week but I've never had particularly bad service there.

Did pass out in the restroom there once though

Sup Mikey

Yeah, it seems like the wahoe has gotten better over the years. I've never been to the one in tech square. I heard its the only two story waffle house in the world? The one on northside by the shell station and the strip club. That one was fucking dangerous. All my crazy stories came from the one on Howell mill. That whole part of town is much nicer now.

I've grown up eating waffle house so I'm going to be really biased, but god damn is it good. It's not like blow your mind amazing, but it kicks the shit out of the IHOP or Dennys. Simple food cooked quickly and right in front of you. There are some that are terrible because the staff dont give a fuck. It can be real hit or miss. But I still love it. All star special, three eggs over easy, wheat toast, pecan waffle, and large hasbrown - smothered, covered, diced, and peppered, with bacon. Every time I get it I'm stupidly full and it costs me like 8 bucks. I'm not sure what makes it special, but they are. If you ever get a chance to eat at one I'd highly suggest it. Try to temper your expectations though, its a humble kind of place.

Bert's chili is pretty decent too.

Are you drunk, but tired of Taco Bell? Try Waffle House: it's food!

There are a couple of factors that determine how good a waffle house will be. If you're drunk there in the hours between 1-4am it'll be good. If the cook at this waffle house is either missing teeth, has gold teeth, or did time in the state penitentiary, then it will be amazing.

if only Europeans were as good at fulfilling a 2% gdp spending requirement as they are at getting raped by Muslims.

The waffle house on the strip? Is that one fairly new? or is there another WH in midtown near Tech I'm not aware about. I generally avoid that one.

Any House in the downtown area I'm not a big fan of, I went to the one near centennial park and my waitress was a nice enough person, but the rest of the staff didn't care and given that it was like 4 in the morning when all the homeless people are walking around tripping on acid I can kind of understand

Awful House

I'm hard just reading that menu.
Gotta find a Waffle House in Waco, coz I'm fucking ready.

Are Americans really still so scared of Muslims? Shouldn't you be scared of rice farmers instead?

>b-but muh freedom

It's the greatest Sunday morning coming down food. Greasy, but hot and flavored in the way that only a truck stop diner can do. My pick is the Texas Cheese Steak with bacon. Extra pickles. Double hash browns scattered, smothered, chunked and sometimes topped.

In plain speak, that's two slices of Texas toast filled with cheese steak and bacon. 6 Pickle slices served on side. Packet of mayo is automatic. Two servings of hash browns, released from the usual ring mold they use with onions, ham, and sometimes chili.

The breakfasts are bomb too, if you get the right cook. Many of em are tough old vets.

It's the highest etiquette to tip your cook directly if he nails it.

If you watch Tony Bourdain and Sean Brock (harass chef in Charleston, SC) go there drunk as shit, you'll get a good idea of what it's all about.

Much of the charm is that it's a judgement free zone.

What's got 6 legs, 5 arms, 4 boobs, and 3 teeth?

The night crew at the Awful Waffle.

best known as awful house
not much worth a damn
shit diner shit greasy and stranded in the mid 40's
dennys is cleaner in many CAlI locations
awful house is the dumps even for a trucker like me /most truckers dig shit like taht
keep edibles in the cab baby fuck that heart attack grease trap mess away

france, cambodia, and china should be red then, you uneducated memer

>Used to be a master grill operator, and a waiter.

AMA

>p.s. its a shit job, and franchise stores are even fucking worse. At least the insurance for corporate stores is alright

No silly, they use the metric system.

I will miss it when I move out of the south. God Tier drunk food

Like IHOP and Denny's, but it tastes better and isn't overpriced.

>Are Americans really still so scared of Muslims? Shouldn't you be scared of rice farmers instead?
they should
but media is shit

Ihop for hipsters

its a rare brand to build where the worse the experience and taste the more you enjoy it
but waffle house has managed to cultivate that environment

>cops lights the entire last minute of the video
true WaffleHouse kino

all the video needed to be truly perfect was one loudass drunk trying to order the perfect hashbrown

It's really good. I always get the pecan waffles.

Varies by the Denny's. Don't know how it is now, but a few years ago, the Denny's at either Tuscola, IL or Mattoon, IL (can't find it on Google Maps in either spot, but with the huge outlet mall at Tuscola, I think the Denny's must have been at Mattoon), had a late-night chef who took serious pride in his or her work. Fluffiest omelets I've ever had, they were absolutely perfect. It was well worth the drive. It's also one of those "theme" buildings that is tricked out like a 1950s diner.

In contrast, the one near my family's place up in Orland Park was terrible.

Yeah. The only negative experience I've had at a WH was in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Went in, looked around, every table was covered with dirty plates and there were flies buzzing everywhere. Stood for a few minutes, then realized -- why in the fuck do I want to eat at a filthy place like this? Walked out, drove on.

Every other time it's been great. That one location was just a shitshow.

literally LOL

they make great damage index reference points

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waffle_House_Index

I've gone there a total of four times while driving up and down the country and without fail some black waitress starts hitting on me. I'm not even attractive.

Once walked into one in Niles Ohio and in the bathroom two men in what I assume was their 50's were fornicating with the vigor of men half their age, I got my food to go.

Man stuff like this frustrates me. The war on smoking pisses me off so much and I don't even smoke.

A bar owner should be allowed to have people smoke and the government shouldn't be able to have anything to say about it. If you don't like the places rules then you go somewhere else. That's that.

She wants the tip

But I go there with my girlfriend.

The place is a shithole but it's a good shithole.

Don't lie, loser.

Does she offer you a slice of blue waffle?

Then she literally wants the tip. Black people usually don't tip so when she sees whitey she sees a chance to make real money

>A bar owner should be allowed to have people smoke and the government shouldn't be able to have anything to say about it. If you don't like the places rules then you go somewhere else. That's that.

Fuck you bar owner. If I want to bring my brood of Hayden, Jayden, and Kaydens into your bar at 11pm, there should be no smoking, no drunks and a calm and inviting atmosphere

This. A private business that is open to the public should be free of all hazards. The business establishment has a responsibility of care for their patrons and exposing them to a hostile environment and second hand smoke does not fit the standard of care that a reasonable person should expect when walking into a restaurant that is open to the public.

It may shock you, but the unique environment they have cultivated is largely due to the lack of cultivating an environment. I love it

It is an accurate representation of all the Southeastern United States. Niggers and meth heads everywhere also proven by some of the posters on this thread.

Truly a magical place where you can get mediocre diner food and enjoy it while watching a fat nigress scream at her five kids for wanting to eat breakfast more than once that week thus cutting into her food and Newport money. At the same time you can look the other way and see a junkie sucking off another junkie presumably for a scale of crack and a half eaten waffle.

This is racist hyperbole. Waffle house is not that bad at all times. Even in the middle of the night its almost never that bad.