Perfect deaths

What are, in your opinion, the most perfect and significant deaths of literature? You can think either of a fictional character or a real one. For me, it's the death of Pasolini (1922-1975). Here's a an extract about it, that I translated from Italian:

>It was almost dawn of the Day of the Dead. Pier Paolo Pasolini thought it was a good day to die. Indeed, the only possible one. It was a special day, that November 2, 1975: a Sunday. Only once every six years Sunday coincides with the Day of the Dead. Pasolini "had to" die that day.

>Because on Sunday had died, in 1945, his brother Guido, two years younger than him, nationalist-inspired partisan murdered by communist guerrillas. And on Sunday, or a celebration day, die almost all the protagonists of his works.

>But Pasolini did not resign to die like any other man. He wanted to survive himself, as Dante, Shakespeare. Forgetfulness terrified him: "As soon as one has died, a quick summary of his just ended life is accomplished. A billion acts, expressions, sounds, voices, words: they fall into nothingness and only some of them survive. A huge number of sentences he said in all the mornings, the middays, the evenings and nights of his life, fall into an infinite and silent abyss.

>So he got himself killed. Not to give in to death that becomes a conspiracy of silence. What's more, he spent the last fifteen years of his life planning meticulously the how, the where, the when. He even left it written: "Killed with a stick." You just have to be able to read. [...]

>But where does it come from, this drive to end his days? Once again it's he himself to reveal it: "Either express oneself and die or remain unexpressed and immortal." And again, addressing himself, "Friuli bird" he says: "You will leave in a line of verse." That is: you die making poetry. Pasolini sees death as a beacon to retroactively illuminate his work and his life. But he does not intend to leave as a defeated one, passively. So it'is he, the victim, to choose his executioner.

>Pino Pelosi said the Frog. A boy of the world, with a criminal record. They knew each other. He picks up him in Piazza dei Cinquecento, Rome, and takes him to dinner. It's 00:45 when they get out of the restaurant Pomodoro. They stop in a soccer field in Ostia.

>Attacking first, Pasolini attempted to rape him with a wooden pole, an intolerable affront to the code of male prostitution, because the "boys of the world" are always active, never passive.

>The result is a fierce struggle. "He attacked me, I lost my head, I gave him a beating, I got in the car and while I was running away I unintentionally ran over him" said Pelosi. [...] Nothing was left to chance.

>Death, for Pasolini, was above all freedom. He writes in his Heretical Empiricism: "Freedom. I've been thinking a lot about this, and I understood that this mysterious word means nothing, finally, in the bottom of each fund, but freedom to choose death."

Other urls found in this thread:

dagospia.com/rubrica-2/media_e_tv/morte-pasolini-suicidio-delega-bombastica-intervista-111225.htm
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Source: dagospia.com/rubrica-2/media_e_tv/morte-pasolini-suicidio-delega-bombastica-intervista-111225.htm

Hamlet getting fuckin' nicked

Cato the younger committing sudoku

Came to post this

Mishima's death was the fulfillment and ultimate expression of every facet of his being - aesthetic, political, sexual, philosophical, physical, artistic, personal. I have a feeling he was an overman.

sorry deleted my post it wasnt perfect enough for my autism

I agree. The purposeful death of Mishima was part of his lifelong work of art, just like Pasolini's death. They were both overmen

death of the author lmao

The death of David Foster Wallace

why

>I have a feeling he was an overman.

Well you'd be wrong, because he was just a reactionary, and not a creator of new values.

Too bad he was more into his suicide then actually finishing the Sea of Fertility in the tone that had pervaded the first 3.5 books. That said, I admire a guy who ends his life with an exclamation mark, rather than ellipsis.

I think the obvious greatest deaths are Ahab, the old lady in Crime and Punishment, and the crucifixtion.

My favorite though is the death of Alexander in Arrian's Anabasis.

"To the strongest!"

Mishima's death? Significant but definitely not perfect. I consider he ended his life in a state of great disillusionment and disappointment as to the future of his country. The death of Honda, at the end of the Sea of Fertility was far more perfect.

However, I once read an interview of Oscar Wilde in which he was asked "Whose death has affected you the most?" His answer was Lucien de Rubempre

No more Eragon then.

epic

No surprise, he was a faggot and Lucien de Rubempré is every man's gaydream

Republican Rome had so many cool deaths. The death of Carthage's leader's wife during the destruction of the city always stood out to me:

>“For you, Romans, the gods have no cause of indignation, since you exercise the right of war. But upon this Hasdrubal, betrayer of his country and her temples, of me and his children, may the gods of Carthage take vengeance, and you be their instrument.” Then turning to Hasdrubal, “Wretch,” she exclaimed, “traitor, most effeminate of men, this fire will entomb me and my children. But as for you, what Roman triumph will you, the leader of great Carthage, decorate? Ah, what punishment will you not receive from him at whose feet you are now sitting.” Having reproached him thus, she slew her children, flung them into the fire, and plunged in after them. With these words, it is said, did the wife of Hasdrubal die, as Hasdrubal should have died himself.

Also does it count when people planned to meet death but ended up living?

>“As I am about to expose myself, then, to so great a danger, I do not think it right that the world should remain in ignorance of the high stakes for which I have played—in case it should be my fate to fail after all in the undertaking —but I desire in return for noble deeds to gain great praise, by which I shall exchange this mortal body for immortal glory. I go my way, making the better fortune of my country the guide of my journey.”

>the old lady in Crime and Punishment
That is an interesting choice
Tell me about why, user

>implying it's not pic related

Pasolini got lucky, but it was an accident

That's where he won. He actualized his strategy perfectly becuse it has never been clear if it was a real murder or a self-orchestrated death. Italian politicians, magistrates and journalists thought it was a murder, but those who actually read his works KNOW it was all intended by him. His books are full of references to his own death and they all coincide with what then happened. He was a genius – and a brave – exactly because he was able to instill the doubt in everyone's mind. A Mishima-like death could have been somehow cringe, pretentious, especially in Italy where people are inclined to criticize others. So he chose the sacrifice, he chose to get killed but not like a loser. Just like Christ.

It defines the negation of the millenial generation

How so?