Life

>be me
>20 years old
>get accepted into computer science at a good local university
>only two years left until I get my bachelors
>just finished my associates degree

Am i on the right path fellow anons? Should I push through these next two years in hopes of landing a 65K starting entry programming job? How are yalls lives?

Other urls found in this thread:

ideone.com/c697Lt
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

read the sticky, you imbecile.

If you want a programming job then yeah that sounds good d00d nice one

Hell yes push through. Get an internship too, there's plenty out there for CS and they're very well paying. As a junior you can easily get a summer internship at a Fortune 500 company. As long as you aren't completely fucking worthlessness coding they might even keep you when you graduate.

I'm doing quite well user. Happy for you!

I'm in a c programming course right now. MechE major here, I respect you coding guys, its not my cup of tea to say the least.

I doubt you will get a 65K starting salary, but I can't say you're on the wrong path. Programming is difficult.

desu, I just programmed the game connect 4 and its 1696 lines long.

I couldn't imagine something longer, and thats only 27kb.

That's a tough one here in Texas. And I live in one of the biggest cities here, software development is minimum which is crazy because I live in a pretty rich city. A lot of the software developing companies which are few, are quick to turn down a lot of people for even an internship if you don't have a bachelors yet, they'll just hang up the phone on my ass. But I'm still looking for opportunities though!

1700 lines for connect 4? Good lord

I could've used more for loops, but from what I figure, it would've only reduced it by 200 lines or so.

It works perfectly and the code looks fucking awesome tho. Very neat, organized and annotated. 15 lines are just the index.

That's why it usually takes a team of up to 150-300 to make games like grand theft auto or any mainstream video games. And each one of those team members have very outstanding credentials or went to a top college. Coding takes long times of commitment. Just like when an artist makes a song, it can take a long time, especially if they want it to be a hit.

ideone.com/c697Lt

Where'd you get your source code?

Damn... well there's gotta be something. CS and IS are two degrees that are booming right now.

Look into what kind of "innovation centers" are near you. In a rich city there's bound to be one. I live near St. Louis, and they have the TRex building. Tons of companies there that would hand out internships to willing students

I made that from scratch. There is no source code, its my very own creation.

My life is great. I just got into Duke's genetics PhD program.

Gongrats btw.

Looks pretty dope. But this is why I fucking hate C, like it's a good language for low level stuff, but there's a lot of overhead when you could have written that same program in ~400 lines or less using Java or C#

If you made that from scratch then programming is definitely something you should consider. I've been programming for 2 years and still have a hard time coming up even with the simplest things. But In all honesty I'm pretty lazy and am still working through that. The best project I've made is a guessing game which is only like 70 lines, but it's well made and I've had my whole class be astonished when they played it. That was a year ago though, still have the game on my laptop I think.

Agreed. My professor said she wrote hers in less than 300 lines, but I found bugs in it several times in less than 5 minutes just fucking around with random inputs. Its not online so idk how to post it here.

Although I would like to enjoy programming, just programming connect fucking four was agony and I hated every minute of it. I want to work with fluid systems and heat transfer (hence MechE major).

I know exactly what you mean, I poke holes in my profs code all the time. Sometimes they miss basic shit and it makes me wonder why they are even teaching if they can't grasp the fundamental concepts themselves.

I didn't know there were other folks out there like myself. I think these professor's can't code on a basic level because they were either quality control or dealt with much more sophisticated software. My professor sure as hell didn't use C for her career at GE, so I don't blame her for making sloppy code.

For gods sake OP yes continue pushing through the next two years. Don't end up like a lot of fucks on R9K who sit around and shit post all day. You're clearly much better than that.

>Bachelor
You might as well have gone to a vocational school.