The History of Western Philosophy

Just bought pic related. Is it good? Will it help me later on when I read the philosophers he writes about in this book?

I found it useful and quite an enjoyable read, though Russell's far from impartial. It might be worth reading up on him so you can understand where he was coming from.

Horrible, you are going to end knowing less than before.

Wittgenstein once remarked to Maurice O'Connor Drury, "Russell's books should be bound in two colours: those dealing with mathematical logic in red -- and all students of philosophy should read them; those dealing with ethics and politics in blue -- and no one should be allowed to read them."

It's dreadful, Russell is quite ignorant of most philosophies.

Wittgenstein was so drole.

>Is it good?
No.
Get pic related,

Guess I got fucked, since I already bought it.

No. Just start with the Greeks.

It's a fine read and an adequate intro to philosophy only up to the last third where he gets embarassingly bad. I suggest replacing that part with Robert Scruton's Short History of Modern Philosophy.

It's not as bad as people itt are saying, hell, it's good if you know nothing about phil.
However don't expect it to be impartial, there are chapters like the ones pertaining to Nietzsche or Marx that are hilariously biased

>2016
>reading any "Introduction To..." books
seriously you can just get all this information on the Internet

Read synopses of philosophers on Wikipedia

Read the ones you think are interesting

Read their influences

Read the Greeks

It's not hard

It's good up to Rousseau

It's the best Philosophy survey i've ever read... That may have something to do with the fact it's the only Philosophy survey i've ever read.

He shits on Aristotle and was a cuckold. There has to be some correlation here.

>mfw reading this now and just got to Plato on self-perception

It`s a piece of shit. But it is better than nothing hopefully if you don`t buy into the whole muh spiritual greek philosphers thing russel tries to get going.

this to be completely honest

>Reading Wikipedia is better than reading books written by experts in their field
>Trying to understand philosophers who have been dead for centuries or millennia without any guide to knowledge of their cultural and intellectual context or even their vocabulary
>The Greeks meme
This is how people become pseuds

You are one of those people who know what other people know, and know their arguments, but can't make your own arguments, and therefore don't know anything.

Kind of like Russel and Wikipedia

You should read Kenny's History or Coppleston's series.

>the greeks meme meme

Srsly kid

Begin with Kant and it should be a breeze

I heard this one was better

It is

>The History of Western Philosophy
>written by an English scholar
>Is it good?
And what do you think?

is there a book on every philosophy that ever existed

My diary desu

Definitely