How do I stop setting off my smoke alarm when I cook a steak?

How do I stop setting off my smoke alarm when I cook a steak?

It's probably either the fact that I use EVOO or the fact that I'm using a nonstick pan (or rather, a used to be non-stick pan, all the non stick has been scraped off so I guess now it's just steel)

Steak comes out good, problem is the kitchen looks like I'm hotboxing it.
Appreciate tips.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AmC9SmCBUj4
jonbarron.org/diet-and-nutrition/healthiest-cooking-oil-chart-smoke-points
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You're heating the oil up beyond it's smoke point, that's why it's smoking.

Stop using EVOO, that has a very low smoke point. Use refined aka light olive oil, or peanut, grapeseed, etc.

Italian here, never tried peanut oil, grapeseed oil tastes gross to me.
I'm thinking of just ditching the EVOO altogether since I end up adding butter once the steak is nicely seared anyway but not sure if that's a good idea.
What confuses me though is that I've seen chefs such as Gordon Ramsay recommend EVOO for steaks.
Maybe I just have to figure out what the sweet spot is where it's hot enough to sear it nicely, but not so hot it smokes it.

Canola oil has a high smoke point works great for me

clarified butter senpai

Doubt I'd be able to find that here

youtube.com/watch?v=AmC9SmCBUj4
Guess I've just got to lower the heat.
I'm just afraid it won't sear and I'll end up with a grey steak rather than a brown one, which is probably one of the worst things that can happen.

>Maybe I just have to figure out what the sweet spot is where it's hot enough to sear it nicely, but not so hot it smokes it.

that's mathematically impossible. You can easily google the smoke point of EVOO. Notice how low it is.

As for Ramsay, I've never seen him suggest evoo for that. Olive oil, sure. But that means refined/light, not EV.

Maybe you're right. Although his oil looks to be smoking a lot too. Maybe should get my stove vent fixed.
High quality EVOO is not that far off from grapeseed oil in terms of smoke point so it might be possible to get a good sear without smoking the place out.
jonbarron.org/diet-and-nutrition/healthiest-cooking-oil-chart-smoke-points
Not sure what temperature is necessary for a steak to sear properly though

By cooking your steak so it's not raw idiot

Sage

what did you mean by this?

My man.
Taking the milk solids and water out of butter makes it so much more useful in cooking.

Canola oil to me makes everything taste like doughnuts

Clarified butter or go to hui

>High quality EVOO is not that far off from grapeseed oil in terms of smoke point

Uhm, according to your link it's 100 degrees different! That's massive.

grapeseed oil retard, and there will always be some smoke so open a window

gross

You can never find that stuff for sale. Unless your family owns an olive grove the datum you should be using for EVOO is the lowest one, 160C/320F.

>Unless your family owns an olive grove
my sister does and I get it from her
either way I'm from italy, EVOO is all we use, I'm sure I'll be able to find the right variety

You're never going to make a smoke-free steak in a pan. If you don't have a stove vent (that goes outside obviously) then the only thing you can do is open some windows and doors while you're cooking to minimize the smoke that collects inside.

Anyway it seems like most supermarket bought EVOO here in italy would qualify as high quality since it's almost always cold pressed which leads to low acidity, so it should be fine. Guess this means as said that smoke is just inevitable part of it.

Even in Italy a lot of the olive oil is adulterated. It sounds silly but organized crime has a major hand in the olive oil industry. Seriously, google it!

Anyway, that will work out in your favor because EVOO tends to be replaced or diluted with cheaper oils, and those cheaper oils generally have higher smoke points than EVOO did in the first place. This is one situation where the cheap substitute is actually better than the real thing.

Spain and Greece export more olive oil so generally it's not a problem.

>Even in Italy a lot of the olive oil is adulterated
Yeah, I always research before buying.
Most of the time though I get my sister's which she collects herself and is pretty anal about everything being organic and high quality, so I trust it's good.

Don't use EVOO. Use grapeseed. That's what my chef used to tell me and he was right.

Use a correct pan.

You don't need to make the oil smoke anyway, the oil needs to be hot enough to caramelize the meat which doesn't necessarily mean smoking.

EVOO is fine. I use it to fry or pan sear everything. Yes you have to watch it more closely, but I find it makes everything more delicious than regular cooking oil (which smells terrible anyway)

>non-stick pan

I recommend a skillet for steaks

Stop fucking burning it.

Enjoy your heterocyclic amines and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons

1. use a decent high temp cooking fat, like rapeseed or clarified butter

2.Get a cast iron pan

3. Get a portable induction cooktop so you can cook your steak outside. That's what I do, works great. I never have to worry about smoke and lingering smells again.