What does Veeky Forums think about pepper curries that predate introduction of chilies to Indian sub-continent?

What does Veeky Forums think about pepper curries that predate introduction of chilies to Indian sub-continent?
Have you had one?

Can't because of IBS.

I've never tried one, but I would love to.

Looks fucking delicious OP. Is there a more authentic name I can order it by?

>chicken kalimirich
That's a lamb bhuna, ya dingus.

I wish I'd taken a picture but I made an eggplant curry that only used pre-colombian ingredients. With some cheating of course since the cultivars were modern. It tasted fantastic. I thought it would lack the flavor depth of modern curries due to the lack of red chillies and tomatoes. It absolutely didn't, tamarind is equally complex as tomatoes. Black pepper and ground coriander add more than enough heat.

Pepper doesn't normally cause trouble with IBS.

Can you confirm that pepper affects you?

Got any reputable recipes for some bomb ass pepper curries?

Black pepper is one of my favorite things.

I just took image from local restaurants page since I didn't know what to call it.
They called it chicken kalimirch, but it looks like there's multiple names.
>in Hindi we say kalimirch for black pepper and harimirch for chili. In Tamil, the word for pepper is milagu and that for chili is milagai (=milagu-kai (pepper+fruit)). In Kannada, the words arekarimenasu and menasinkayi.

What do they sub for tomato in the broth?

Google 'Chettinad cuisine".
Thank me later.

That ain't chicken.

Yeah it is.

It's lamb.
More specifically a lamb bhuna.

Looks like chicken to me.
Why would they lie?

It sure doesn't look like lamb to me. The meat is clearly a very light color, not something dark like cooked lamb.

What recipe?

Mustard seeds in oil. Shallots or red onions cooked down to translucent. Dessicated coconut slightly roasted. Also roast coriander seeds, black peppercorns and fenugreek seeds(not too many since they can make the dish very bitter). Grind or mortar pestle it to a powder. Add spice mixture plus turmeric and cinnamon to the onions. Also add curry leaves. Cook the mixture down to paste consistency. To this, add tamarind water. Bit of sugar and salt. Get small eggplants if you can. Cut across the bulbs leaving the stem in and skins on. Deep fry till bit more than half cooked. Dump it in the curry add water and let simmer. Get it to a non watery consistency.

I didn't add peanuts out of principle but I reckon crushed peanuts or peanut butter would take it to another level.

Looks like original Japanese curry before the influence of the British

Wiki says curry was introduced by the british.

Black pepper is a fantastic spice. Probably my favorite spice overall. Really versatile stuff.

I wanna try tellicherry peppercorns sometime. I hear they're great.

Never had one, but I love black pepper so I always use a massive amount in everything, including stews. I've always been kinda curious about Indian cuisine pre-columbian trade and I suppose all pre-columbian cuisine is interesting. I've done medieval recipes a number of times, they're pretty good