Is there any good book in spanish literature...

Is there any good book in spanish literature? It seems that all books written by Spanish speaking authors are mediocre or just a big pile of shit

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conceptismo
youtube.com/watch?v=F2Nk5hZUe8M
youtube.com/watch?v=WgvQD4IwUY0
es.wikisource.org/wiki/Juan_de_la_Cruz
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What have ya tried, amigo?

Cervantes is great desu

Jesus christ user, there are innumerable classics written in Spanish originally. To name a few that I would be bewildered if you hadn't heard of them:

Don Quixote - Cervantes
Labyrinths, Ficciones - Borges
The Savage Detectives, 2666 - Bolano

Tried 100 years of solitude and the Cid poems (I like medieval history) and both were unbearable.Then I tried to find other books but all seemed kind of dull

What about something from Spain especifically, yhat is not Cervantes?.

>tried OHYOS
>unbearable

kill yourself and try again in another life

1936 copies of the American Newspaper Alliance

Do you like plays? If so you've got all the Golden Age playwrights, Lope de Vega, Calderón de la Barca. Or ther's Lorca for something more modern.

user do you want novels written in Spanish or written by authors from Spain?

If it's the latter skipping who is generally regarded as their best author in Cervantes is bizarre, but perhaps you would enjoy Javier Marias 'Your Face Tomorrow' trilogy, books one and three in particular are exemplary

I haven´t read any plays, but of they are great, i might try them.
I want authors from Spain. I only ever see recommendations of spanish literature from latin american authors and Cervantes (which i¿m definitely not skipping).

My favourite writer is Camilo Jose Cela. Baroja,Unamuno and Galdos are great. If you are into poetry anything from the XVII is great

IDK, Galdós has his moments and so does Baroja, but Latin America's output in the last century easily trumps Spanish prose writers.

I also like Espriu myself, but he wrote in Catalan.

Lazarillo de Tormes

Cela is GOAT

also Generación del 27 is bretty gud if you like poetry

>but Latin America's output in the last century easily trumps Spanish prose writers.
Mainly because there are 20 american spics for each european spic

>Implying gringo literature is better
Kys

>100 years of solitude
not even Spanish kill yourself

The good modern spanish novels are not translated in english. English only peasants cannot read the true jewels of the world literature.

Juan Benet
Pascual Duarte was top tier but La Colmena seemed like a failure to me. What other Cela can you recommend me?

Generacion of 98 is top tier but lit including the spanish readers are too pleb to talk about them ever.

my nigga

Fortunata y Jacinta - Benito Pérez Galdós
La Regenta - Leopoldo Alas Clarín
Niebla - Miguel de Unamuno
San Manuel Bueno, Mártir - Miguel de Unamuno
Los Santos Inocentes - Miguel Delibes
La Rebelión de las Masas - José Ortega y Gasset (philosophy)
La Colmena - Camilo José Cela
La Fundación - Antonio Buero Vallejo (play)

and if you have a patrician mind (maybe the Spanish Finnegan's Wake):
Larva - Julián Ríos

These are from XIX and XX centuries. There are more quality works from previous ages.

i know that feel
literature just doesn't work outside english

why tf did you list cien años de soledad then

Plays of Lope de Vega and Calderon de la Barca

Poetry of Juan de la Cruz, Luis de Leon, Garcilaso de la Vega (this last one was very influenced by Italian poets).

the two greatest poets of the Spanish Barroque period are considered to be Gongora and Quevedo, but they are very hard to read
"Conceptismo is characterized by a rapid rhythm, directness, simple vocabulary, witty metaphors, and wordplay. In this style, multiple meanings are conveyed in a very concise manner, and conceptual intricacies are emphasised over elaborate vocabulary-----Conceptismo contrasts starkly with culteranismo, another movement of the Baroque period, which is characterized by ostentatious vocabulary, complex syntactical order, multiple, complicated metaphors, but highly conventional content. The best-known representative of Spanish culteranismo, Luis de Góngora, had an ongoing feud with Francisco de Quevedo in which they each criticized the other’s writing and personal life."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conceptismo

Baltasar Gracian is so hard to read in Spanish, that translations are always preferable to the original in his case. Schopenhauer translated him.

At least where I live in Latin America, Spanish poets of the last two centuries have been more popular than Spanish novelists. The most famous is García Lorca, but some others would be the Machado brothers (one a commie, the other a supporter of Franco), Guillen and Juan Ramon Jimenez.

Huber Matos.

What's your point? There are 100 chinks for every spic but the only good novels I've ever heard of from there are hundreds of years old.

Chinks don't have the literary tradition of the western world. Latin america does

Christ vs Arizona is pretty fucked up. It only has one full stop in the whole novel.

Where my Spanish Veeky Forums fellas at?

Hey.

Pedro Paramo by Rulfo.

Sup

Has anyone read Novela número 13? It seems comfy as fuck but is a pretty unknown book and the only reviews online are about butthurt lefties that don't like how he portrayed the Republicans and the anarchists.

Where u guys physically at?

Beanertown

Hola

5'10", 180lbs

Fattass

>...llegaba a leer aquellos requiebros y cartas de desafíos, donde en
muchas partes hallaba escrito: La razón de la sinrazón que a mi razón se hace, de tal manera mi razón enflaquece, que con razón me quejo de la vuestra fermosura. Y también cuando leía:...los altos cielos que de vuestra divinidad divinamente con las estrellas os fortifican, y os hacen merecedora del merecimiento que merece la vuestra grandeza.
>Con estas razones perdía el pobre caballero el juicio...

Miguel Motherfucking Hernández

Just because he agrees with your pile of horseshit of ideology and makes a good propaganda figure doesn't mean it's good literature.

That was tough. Was he really that bad?

>he thinks Hernández is bad

Hoy estoy sin saber yo no sé cómo, hoy estoy para penas solamente, hoy no tengo amistad, hoy sólo tengo ansias de arrancarme de cuajo el corazón y ponerlo debajo de un zapato. Hoy reverdece aquella espina seca, hoy es día de llantos de mi reino, hoy descarga en mi pecho el desaliento plomo desalentado. No puedo con mi estrella. Y busco la muerte por las manos mirando con cariño las navajas, y recuerdo aquel hacha compañera, y pienso en los más altos campanarios para un salto mortal serenamente. Si no fuera ¿por qué?… no sé por qué, mi corazón escribiría una postrera carta, una carta que llevo allí metida, haría un tintero de mi corazón, una fuente de sílabas, de adioses y regalos, y ahí te quedas, al mundo le diría. Yo nací en mala luna. Tengo la pena de una sola pena que vale más que toda la alegría. Un amor me ha dejado con los brazos caídos y no puedo tenderlos hacia más. ¿No veis mi boca qué desengañada, qué inconformes mis ojos? Cuanto más me contemplo más me aflijo: cortar este dolor ¿con qué tijeras? Ayer, mañana, hoy padeciendo por todo mi corazón, pecera melancólica, penal de ruiseñores moribundos. Me sobra corazón. Hoy, descorazonarme, yo el más corazonado de los hombres, y por el más, también el más amargo. No sé por qué, no sé por qué ni cómo me perdono la vida cada día.

He has few good stuff, some mediocre stuff and some terrible shit. Only mythomaniac (not in the traditional meaning of the word) commies think otherwise.

Rafael Chirbes
Miguel Delibes

Where should I start with Chirbes, compadre?

this. only good spanish book i've read. everything else is just a derivative.

I would recommend Pio Baroja, Horacio Quiroga, Juan Goytisolo and Miguel de Unamuno. They write some short novels, so you may finish them quickly.

It is basically a child's book with some implicit darker stuff like pedophilia. It was very important for global literature but it is not even close to the best thing written in Spanish

I'm about to read El Castillo Interior ("The Interior Castle") from Saint Teresa of Ávila, a XVI century mystic nun. I've heard great things about it, but it may just be that we recently celebrate the 500th anniversary of her birth. Nevertheless, she is considered Doctor of the Church by the Catholic Church, so I'm curious about what I will find.

Many people here in Spain (and the whole latinoamerica) absolutely adore 100 Years of Solitude. Other than that, I love the spanish 98's Generation stuff. And Jorge Luis Borges, always Borges.

>No one mentions contemporary authors
>Most mentioned books are from early s. XIX or earlier
I can see why OP can't get into spanish lit... maybe he just needs more recent stuff

No one has mentioned Vila-matas and it makes me sad.
What the fuck are spanish friendos in lit doing ? Probs mostly latin-american anyway so no wonder

Javier Marias definetely. Corazón Tan Blanco is awesome.

edgy
youtube.com/watch?v=F2Nk5hZUe8M

how many Nobel prizes can absorb 1.5 litres of water through the anus?
youtube.com/watch?v=WgvQD4IwUY0

Based

>Javier Marias
Llevo tiempo pensando en leerlo, pero luego le veo soltando gilipolleces en El País cada semana y se me quitan todas las ganas.

Lo mismo me pasa con Vargas Llosa.

>Lee El País
¿Por qué?

Comunistas de mierda

La calidad de los artículos ha degenerado bastante, y se están pasando un poco con la agenda política (aunque esto no es único del país).
Aún así tiene secciones más que decentes. Fotografía, arquitectura, literatura, pintura, los viñetistas y cocina suelren valer la pena.

A mi no me mires soy un teócrata

Anyone here like Cesar Vallejo? Was thinking of getting a translation.

>los viñetistas
Siempre Certero El Roto?

Lee las buenas obras que tiene Javier Marías, ignora las gilipolleces que suelte en sus artículos.

Por dónde debería empezar?

Ya que estamos en Veeky Forums, creo que prefiero Trampantojo, de Max.

Los Santos Inocentes was bretty gud tbqhwyf

>Saint Teresa of Ávila
She's good but San Juan de la Cruz is better

>Pregunta a las criaturas
>4. ¡Oh bosques y espesuras,
>plantadas por la mano del Amado!
>¡Oh prado de verduras,
>de flores esmaltado!
>Decid si por vosotros ha pasado.
>
>5. Mil gracias derramando
>pasó por estos sotos con presura,
>e, yéndolos mirando,
>con sola su figura
>vestidos los dejó de hermosura.

es.wikisource.org/wiki/Juan_de_la_Cruz

I know you're probably memeing, but is there a specific reason that the vast majority of great literature was written in English? Perhaps English is just better suited to thinkers, the way ancient Greek was?

>is there a specific reason that the vast majority of great literature was written in English?
For a board dedicated to literature, Veeky Forums surely holds a lot of stupid opinions regarding books.

>Perhaps English is just better suited to thinkers, the way ancient Greek was?
At least Heidegger tried to make a case for German within reason, but this is just laughable.

>is there a specific reason that the vast majority of great literature that I know of was written in English?

Here, I fixed that for you

>great literature was written in English?
Kek. English poetry is absolute garbage and outside of Joyce English speaking writers are just mediocre as fuck

>American education

>Picar en el anzuelo obvio

saramago is underrated

Fun fact: Portugese are just Spaniards with an extra chromosome

does he write in spanish or did i read translations?

He writes in Portugese, user.

But all iberian languages save basque are extremely close to each other, I don't think you missed much by reading a translation, provided it was a good one.

Did you read the Cid in spanish ?

If you read a traduction i don't know what you got, but if you read it in spanish and you did'nt like you i can't help you pleb. Go back to harry potter.

>Did you read the Cid in spanish ?
Nope

Bolano is a pretty cool guy and a good author, but he's a legitimate faggot for the whole 2666 thing (that is the number, not the book). He unironically considered it like a sinister or satanic number of some shit. Like how lazy and retarded can you be? He literally just took satanic trips and added a 2 in front of it.

What?
2666 probably refers to a year, not something satanic or sinister.
Read Amuleto (or at least look it up on the internet) to see why i mean.

The reason I suggest that Bolano viewed it a sinister is because I believe he mentioned somewhere that it was a "sinister", "threatening", or "ominous" number. I can't remember where I heard him discussing this issue, but if I remember correctly, this number is briefly mentioned is several of his works and I think even in an interview.