Why are mathematicians SO defensive when it comes to the...

Why are mathematicians SO defensive when it comes to the """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""reals"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""? It's almost like they're hiding something. Surely they wouldn't be afraid of some rigour?

0.(9) = 1

fuck you op

relate the radius and the circumference of a circle without transdencentials.
have fun

Is that even necessary? Just have p(r) for the length of the perimeter of a circle with radius r. :^)

Because then you still have transcendentals, retard.
Changing the name of it from "pi" to "p(r)" doesn't magically make it not transcendental, brainlets I swear.

cool
so what's p(r)-r?

fuck off back to

They're jsut numbers dude what's trancendental about them?

No, there's no relation between them except that p(r) is uniquely determined by r.

Where do you ever need their difference?

FACT

you can NOT give me an EXACT 'x' such that

y = x^5-5x-1 = 0

MATHLETS better cough up and explain.

a duck is in the middle of a circular pond and is swimming towards the edge at a constant speed
i am walking the circumference of the pond at a constant speed
how many times faster than the duck do i have to be traveling so that i can circumnavigate the pond just as the duck reaches the edge?

holy kek kill yourself
how do you even live with a brain as small as yours?

what exactly indicates that OP is from pol?

If we are to deny the transcendental numbers, we surely will be doing stuff deeper than this problem. Besides, in real life, we can use an estimate, say 3.14 to get an estimate of how many times faster the duck has to go.

Ducks are cute af, btw.

the vast majority of brainlets are from /pol/
he's just making a safe bet

this is no ordinary duck, friend
and it's no ordinary pond

the pond's radius is many times greater than the diameter of the observable universe. and i, an immortal wizard, am locked in a race against this immortal duck.

traveling at subluminal speeds, our race will last many aeons, but how much faster do i have to be traveling than the duck to guarantee that our race ends in a tie?

Is it this guy's pond?

the top one has ONE exact solution and two that can ONLY be approximated. Instead of pointing out that small error how about looking at the bigger picture instead of deflecting the argument, you brainlet.

arguing with a fool is a fool's errand, fool

Yes. Furthermore, the answer regarding our speed ratio must be exact. If the race does not end in a tie, the cosmos will unravel and all world lines will converge in an inter-universal catastrophe, bringing about the end of all things.
For the prosperity of order in the universe, this ratio must not be approximated to express its true form. It must be named. All approximations are an illusion; a shadow on the wall of the cave, if you will.
Don't make a mistake. Getting bored in the middle of a Cauchy sequence and truncating pi might destroy the future and the past.

at this point it isn't an argument, but laughing at plebs who can't even explain the faulty foundation that their house is built on.

The need to preserve the future and the past on pillars that shaky is questionable. A universe must be strong or it will perish. This is interuniversal Darwinism.

at least i live in a house
you and the rest of the burgers are vagrants screaming fruitlessly into the sky as the heavens rain mercilessly upon you

He harms himself who does harm to another, and the evil plan is most harmful to the planner. Enjoy life in the cave whilst I bathe in the sun.

True mathematicians don't need the reals. P-adics are where the cool stuff happens.

You have failed the test, mortal.
The unfit should not appeal to Darwinism. They should attempt to reach the apex and not doom themselves in their weakness.

Because of your failure, we are now trapped in a loop of endless rebirth. Yea, you are doomed to repeat your life for all eternity. Freedom of will? You have relinquished it. Hope? It has evaporated. God? You failed to become Him. Your only solace now is to lead an interesting, enjoyable life, in the hopes that you will enjoy it again in the pseudo-future. Otherwise you will be doomed to a cycle of misery for eternity.
Such is the punishment for failure to respect the circle constant.

I always fail... boohoo!!!!!

I must therefore bring the universe down by disrespecting pi even more radically. I will not go down alone!

This is the best thread on Veeky Forums in weeks

Hi, I have a square of area 29, but I don't know what the length of the square is. So I was hoping you could give me a breakdown of the costs of determining the length of this square (I need the number to be accurate to 1000 digits). I'm willing to spare no expense, so if you need a $50,000 ruler, so be it.

Annoyance at crackpots is not the same as defensiveness, OP.

a cave's foundation is the very earth itself

Must be unfortunate to be so pleb that you didn't even get the reference. Enjoy the cave friend.

idk anything about reals but whenever i see someone use """""""""""""" quotes i just assume they are an idiot

yet I can prove that at least one such x exists somewhere on the number line. whether it can be labeled nicely is a different question.

[math]\mathbb{R}[/math] is shit, [math]\mathbb{C}[/math] is where it's at.

R is actually pretty sick. C doesn't even have an ordering compatible with addition and multiplication.

I find it interesting that everytime you go in complex numbers, you lose a property

C loses order
Quaternions lose commutativity
Octonions lose associativity