Haruki Murakami is a plagiarist and an untalented, unimaginative author

Haruki Murakami is a plagiarist and an untalented, unimaginative author.

He stole the name for his book "1Q84" from George Orwell's most famous work entitled "1984".

Ha! How clever, I'll replace the "9" with "Q" and no one will notice anything! Even though Q and 9 are homophones in Japanese language and pronouncing the names of these two novels in Japanese would sound the same.

But this wasn't the first time something like this happened. Seven years earlier, he used Franz Kafka's last name to name the main protagonist of his novel "Kafka on the Shore" and basically the book itself.

He also took the name of that the Beatles song "Norwegian Wood" for that title of his one book.

Why is this guy so uncreative? Why does he have to steal things from other authors?

And why are his books so awful and nonsensical? If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit, right?

In conclusion, Haruki Murakami is the Harmony Korine of literature.

I don't even like Murakami, but you're either a retard, a troll or both.

Wouldn't this be funny as hell if that "Harmony Korine" I know nothing about was a literary critic that wrote a very similar critique to any other author and OP is ironically plagiarizing him?

It's preferable to think that than to see this as a shitpost

woah woah woah leave Kaoine out of this. his movies might be shit, but they are still worth watching (for some reason)

lmao, i agree user

>that "Harmony Korine" I know nothing about
Wew.

It always dazzles me how dumb people are. Not stupid, just generally dumb. Anti-intelligent.

Why am i so smart?

My old man he's like some feudal lord

I mean... I don't like Murakami. I tend to view him as something that belongs next to Paulo Coelho - into its own bookshelf in the bookstore, so as not to be mistaken with the literature in the other ones.

But this is silly reasoning, really.
References are not stealing. He still had to come up with a lot of crap, aside the titles. And for that matter, they can be super-well-meant - one could consider them "tributes" to the authors referred to.

Look at Aldous Huxley. Most of his books are named by lines from Shakespeare, but that doesn't make his books copy-paste Shakespeare in the least.

kafka means crow in japanese

way too boring

offend yourself

No it doesn't retard. Karasu is crow.

I wouldn't come here no more if it bothers you

People are actually going to fall for this.

it really doesn't though

why the hell should I be moved in any way by the fact that you don't know how to be interesting?

what doesn't?

>literally has that negro gucci mane acting in his films
>good or worth watching

?

>good
no

>worth watching
sure

it's like watching a pretty car crash. gummo and kids.

Murakami is just serving Kobo Abe's style to plebs who don't want to read older material.

>I tend to view him as something that belongs next to Paulo Coelho

Except Murakami is far more of an actual literary figure than Cohelo. Cohelo writes commercial novels, is a massive social media figure who frequently interacts with his fans, and generally never mentioned as being actual "Literature" in the high brow sense.

Murakami has won far more international literary awards, holds numerous honorary doctorates, and doesn't write fantasy novels for teenagers.

murakami is far from good

its the shit normies read to think theyre smart and sophisticated

>muh normies

He's pretty good tho

I kinda favor Ryuu Murakami, but I've come to accept he's never gonna catch on overseas the way the H-bomb did

I think you're projecting too hard. Murakami is comfy slice of life with sex and pop culture references. He's like a long slow fap to a vaguely lewd image of a cute Japanese girl you vaguely know on Facebook. Sophistication has nothing to do with it.

"The Sound and the Fury" is from Shakespeare. It's too bad even someone like Faulkner would stoop to petty plagiarism. Sad!

I have that book and haven't read it. His other books seem more interesting but I should give it a chance now that someone mentioned it (my brain works like that)

this nigga gets it

Coin Locker Babies and In the Miso Soup are more serious and a bit deeper, but Popular Hits is very darkly funny. All three revel in grotesqueness to some extent.

Audition is basically a modern take on the traditional Japanese ghost story, and 69 is a much more grounded story about being a pretentious kid obsessed with Western music and lit in a time of social change.

I haven't read Almost Transparent Blue or Piercing, but the first one has a lot of praise, so. CLB and 69 are probably my two favorites from him.

redpill me on harmony korine

where does one start with him

his debut feature, as you would for any other auteur

Why is every Murakami book about a regular guy who loves laundry and jazz then somehow gets a harem of girls from doing nothing they just magically lauch on to him and one disappears

>watching someone's filmography in its chronological order
>people actually doing this

what's the point? the context doesn't matter, nor does it matter whether there are some reoccurring themes and ideas or not

you start with the most critically acclaimed work and if you like it then you watch his other stuff, in this case it's spring breakers (he didn't direct kids)

I know this is b8, but I guess this show your double standard in title-ripping as per Ulysses.

every one of his books is just metaphores all the way down my dude

sounds like your typical anime so i'm not surprised. i know murakami is an anime fiend so it's most likely just his adaption of his favorite tropes

Why wouldn't the context matter? He clearly had a vague vision of what he wanted to create right from the beginning and his first films are sublime.

You watch his debut which is a cult classic and the film he is famous for. Then you watch one of his best features, Julien Donkey Boy. And that's where you stop if you don't want to be disappointed. Critical acclaim is a funny concept.

shit b8 m8

I just wanted to point out that I noticed you used a picture of Hirokazu Koreeda instead of Murakami.

>i know murakami is an anime fiend
>want this to be true
>look it up
>while he was an enthusiastic reader of manga when he was a child, he has found that as he gets older, he has needed to cull his hobbies down to only what he likes best.
>he denied any disrespect for anime and manga, acknowledging they aren’t something to be taken lightly and are fully matured storytelling media.
kek

Is Koreeda good? I read once on Veeky Forums (years ago) that he's just a watered down Ozu, so I never bothered with his work.

Thank god someone who understands

no its trash

Pleb.

i don't have any cute Japanese girls I vaguely know on Facebook. help.

Ryu Murakami is a commercial novelist though, the equivalent of someone like Stephen King who writes for a commercial audience specifically. He's not bad, but he's not an author of literary fiction.

Because that's his thing. Why is every Oe novel about his retarded kid? because that's his thing.

His Rat series needs to be read in order though. This would be: Hear the Wind Sing -> Pinball 1973 -> A Wild Sheep Chase -> Dance, Dance, Dance

Dance is a direct sequel to A Wild Sheep Chase and won't make any sense without reading that novel.

I like Sion Sono better.

It's not stealing.

He is referencing authors and artists who have been an influence on his work.

halfway through kafka on the shore right now, why is every main character written as cool, attractive, intelligent and barely flawed at all?
the girl kafka meets on the bus is basically an anime character

>people who don't get this is a (shitty) attempt at humour and let themselves get baited

>getting counter-baited

He's not even really that much like Ozu. It always felt like a lazy comparison to make.

Koreeda is a good filmmaker though. Not masterful but one of the most consistent modern-day directors I can think of.

kids is terrible. gummo is like snuff, just a mess you want to look at from a distance

spring breakers was p good tho and he was successful with that one.

because it's supposed to be comfy, just like anime or some shit, not challenging. Can't you just enjoy things? Why are you fucking dead inside?