Why do people enjoy learning?

I like to think that knowledge is like Dragon Ball, and I just want to get stronger.

Learning is the process of gaining a greater ability to manipulate your environment. You won't enjoy learning anything that you don't see or foresee getting use out of.

Right now, I'm seeing it like a car. Some people want to customize the car so it will do what they want it to. Other people are happy with using the stock model.

So are some people just forever discontent with the car they drive? Why is it good for people to forever be dissatisfied with their state of knowledge but bad for people to always want better cars?

I don't think its necessarily driven by dissatisfaction, but by enjoyment of the process.

Compare that person that's always dissatisfied with somebody constantly modifying cars because its his passion, rather than being unhappy with how the car works.

It is a form of entertainment. If they don't use it, it is useless. You know, like that useless guy at parties who tells people random facts.

Because learning isn't like buying a fucking car

>how to spot a brainlet 101
>uses metaphor
>the metaphor is about a material possession
>its a shitty metaphor

seems about right

>You won't enjoy learning anything that you don't see or foresee getting use out of.
>I don't think its necessarily driven by dissatisfaction, but by enjoyment of the process.
>It is a form of entertainment. If they don't use it, it is useless. You know, like that useless guy at parties who tells people random facts.
Can you enjoy learning something if you know you won't be able to find a use for it? Isn't it a bit of a cop out to say people enjoy learning because they enjoy the process? Like saying I enjoy eating ice cream because I enjoy the process of eating sweet things.

because "learning for the sake of learning" is such an intellectually satisfying answer

This senpai desu

I was wondering why people wanted to get stronger, and that I've seen that discussion many times in Veeky Forums (usually boiling down to women and the respect of a chinese cartoon imageboard). I'm more interested in the idea that people are never satisfied with their current state and why that's seen as a good thing.

If you want to be fit, you can be varying degrees of fit
If you want to be right, you're either right or wrong. There are varying degrees of wrong, but only one right

you're thinking about it backwards. You wouldn't be able to ask the question "why do people enjoy learning?" unless you were part of a sufficiently advanced culture that inherently had a propensity to learn which allowed it to reach the level at which a member can ask such a question.

This is objectively wrong

Because we're wired to for survival. That tendency is still used even if the thing isn't really useful for survival.

Back when we lived in fear of tiger attacks and starving to death, learning was a good thing for ensuring our safety.

Now, we live in a very safe society. Is this society safe enough? What are the greatest dangers that still threaten our well-being?

Yeah, you can, because almost no matter what it is used - its used to expand and develop your model of the world and your understanding of it.

Like if I learn physics for my undergrad, but never get a job that uses it. Its still worth it to keep learning physics because it adds to the sense of intuition I have about the world so deeply.

The more I learn the more I feel comfortable in this world. I feel incompetent and stupid, if I keep learning I will get a better understanding of the world and be comfortable living in it. That's why I enjoy learning, things become clearer.

>What are the greatest dangers that still threaten our well-being?

Being homeless or being poor because we didn't learn enough or learn the right things.

Being ignorant and as a result, powerless in a society where knowledge is tantamount to power.

life is cold, short, and painful and learning is another distraction we've devised for ourselves to forget about the harsh reality we live in

I think your argument is that all knowledge is useful, because it helps you appreciate reality better.

My thoughts so far is that it also helps you convey that appreciation. We learn because it allows us to communicate with the reality we live in (like appreciating the design of a good puzzle is like communicating with the designer). I suppose that being social is a positive evolutionary trait, since two people are stronger than one. If we thought of reality as a person, we want to understand it and gain its support. Do we acquire knowledge because we don't want to be lonely? Is the workings of the universe just one more ally to add to our tribe in our quest for power?

Can you imagine Einstein attributing his desire to learn to his fear of homelessness? Are people really doomed to blindly pursuing more power? I feel that learning to ensure our safety is a valid reason, but the dangers we cite are somewhat unrealistic. Once you have enough money to retire comfortably, there's not a lot the powerful can do to screw you over in this society.

life is beautiful, long, and enjoyable and learning is another thing to enjoy we've developed to make life even more enjoyable

I fear the unknown.
I fear incompetence.
I fear failure.
I loathe a missed opportunity.
I value control.
I value power.

because it literally triggers the neurons

>I study to get triggered

What is this called that is in the OP? Please tell me. I want to buy it.

look at the file name, newbie

It's not a general thing, I know a whole bunch of people who absolutely hate learning new things and set up their whole life so they only ever have to learn a few things that they keep doing for the rest of their lives.