What does Veeky Forums think of the Jack Reacher novels?

What does Veeky Forums think of the Jack Reacher novels?

we don't

I didn't know they existed. Probably dumb like James Bone novels

Why not?

Because genre fiction is for plebs

>drip coffee

plebeian

I'm reading them now, Reacher bones nearly every main hot bitch every book haha

I've heard those books are crazy popular in prison.

>Jack Reacher is a tough as nails PI
>Who likes to drink artisanal pour-over coffee made from fair-trade beans

>the hero in a 2 dimensional male wish fulfillment fantasy fucks women

I read a few of them. They were pretty good.

One Shot. Killing Field. And another involving a corrupt small town I can't remember the name of, but was pretty good.

And started to read a couple that didn't really grab my interest.

Solid meat and potatoes crime fiction written in a stripped down style that often works because Child is a decent stylist (as indeed are many successful genre writers).

That said, it's given me some pleasure but I don't have any real love for the Jack Reacher books the way I do for Michael Connelly or Pelecanos or Jim Thompson.

are you calling james bond a fag?

All Brits are gay

Fun books. Kinda like 80's action movies in book form. Very shallow, no real development, just an unstoppalbe human wrecking ball. The writin is sparce and direct in its style, almost like a Mike Hammer book.

Gave my uncle a couple of them on his last visit. Turns out its a big hit with army guys.

My dad loves these fucking books and was pissed that "that faggot Tom Cruise" played Jack Reacher in the movies. You're right they are kind of like Spillane's books, but not quite as good.

Intelligence related books annoy the fuck out of me.
HUMINT is done nothing like that and they conventiently skip that 95% of the job is paperwork.

The books having nothing to do with intelligence, humint or otherwise.

Reacher's investigations are for the most part private eye w/muscle-type investigations, w/ occasional almost Sherlock Holmes-ish deductive leaps (as in, e.g., One Shot).

Oh I was confusing it with the Clancy shit.
Point still stands, im triggered.

the movie was really good

Cruise is a manlet

yeah but he was playing a taller character

They're pretty good, especially for genre fiction.

They're basically modern day noir books set in modern times with a human wrecking ball as a protagonist who bangs every hot chick he meets. I really like how Reacher doesn't fuck around in combat and acts exactly how a former MP/SF would act--namely, he kills without hesitation and isn't above fighting dirty and crippling people. Child also has a really impressive knowledge of American culture considering he's not American.

I've read about five or six of them and I don't regret it. They're fun reads.

>

lol you cant act hight you freaking midget.

"jack reacher" books sound like airport drek, stay away from those.

>stay away from those
Doubtless you would have sagely advised Elizabeth Bennet to "stay away from" Mr Darcy.

I listened to the first one on audiobook while working. Maybe it was the narrator, but I didn't really like it, I think I stopped with like 30 minutes left.
A lot of "he said", "she said" dialogue, which when you have a narrator who say those words exactly the same hundreds of times gets annoying.

>A lot of "he said", "she said" dialogue

I forgot about that. When he's on his game, the effect works, at least when you're reading it. Part of what holds your interest is the slight ambiguity of words, and wondering how they're being inflected. Hemingway as filtered through Mamet and the minimalist screenplay Hard Times, maybe. I imagine that would be hard for a narrator to pull off.

>you are now aware how often the phrase "that's for damn sure" is used by all characters in Lee Child novels
Good luck not getting triggered.