Vegan Food Thread

This is a continuation of the Vegan Food thread.

Post your favorite vegan recipes and products here.

Have you not tried Follow Your Heart vegan mozzarella broiled on top of pizza or lasagna yet? My meat eating mother couldn't tell the difference between it and cow cheese when she tasted it.

Also cashew cheese.

There are some gourmet vegan cheeses that are tasty as fuck. Treeline and some others I forget the names of. Cashew cheese you really need to try.

And some other meat eating friends of mine said they actually like Daiya on top of their pizza more than cow cheese, because it's so creamy. I disagree though, I prefer Follow Your Heart. So I guess it's one of those things, you have to find the right vegan cheese for you. Some are just objectively good though.

But yeah, there are some foul ones out there for sure. I don't know how the people who created them could actually think it was a good idea to put them on the market. I think the only reason they sell are because of a lot of first time customers. Don't let that discourage you from trying others though. Some are incredible. If you can get ahold of some Vromage vegan cheese, you'll see what I mean.

These are some mac 'n' cheeze bites from the Word of Mouth food truck, with ranch sauce. So incredible.

Follow Your Heart parmesan is orgasmic too.

Other urls found in this thread:

mooshoes.myshopify.com/blogs/journal/interview-with-las-word-of-mouth-vegan-food-truck
youtube.com/watch?v=GtnfSGq0KqQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It can't be mozzarella if it's some nut pate. Call it what it is, otherwise it makes you a liar.

They call it that to make it easier for meat eaters transitioning to veganism to find products that can be used for the same purpose as animal products in their old recipes.

Calm down.

I want to into cashew cheese, but I don't have a powerful enough blender/food processor to puree nuts all the way. What's a good blender/food processor that doesn't cost a hell of a lot?

No idea. I'd imagine any blender would be okay after you soak the nuts, but I could totally be wrong since I've never tried it before myself. Would also love to make cashew cheese. Actually, I have some cashews in my pantry that are about to go bad so I might just do that. Either that, or make a raw cheezecake with them. Both are tempting, but I guess I'm leaning more towards making cashew cheese, since cheap vegan desserts are so easy to get. But a nice cashew cheese can be pricey.

is that parm? most parm isnt vegan

>another vomit thread

I was actually wondering what that was after I looked at the photo. I don't remember tasting it when I ate it. But I got this from the Vegan Food Festival, and it was against the rules to sell anything that wasn't vegan, so it would have had to be vegan parmesan. Plus it wouldn't make any sense to have vegan mac 'n' cheeze with vegan ranch, then top it with non-vegan parmesan.

Sorry, I meant Vegan Street Fair. Oops.

mooshoes.myshopify.com/blogs/journal/interview-with-las-word-of-mouth-vegan-food-truck

Vegan food truck, ran by vegans. Pretty sure it's vegan, whatever it is.

Just saw this on Facebook.
youtube.com/watch?v=GtnfSGq0KqQ

Pretty neat. I'd eat it.

Oh I'm calm I'm just letting you know that legally you can't call something cheese if it's not made from cultured cow enzymes. The FDA said that, not me, so when you say you had some meatballs or chicken or what the fuck ever, you are incorrect. It's not those things, at all. In any way shape or form.

Also
>Meat eaters
You mean omivores. No humans are solely meat eaters or if they were, they died.

Um. They call them "chick'n" and "meatless meatballs." You're obviously not calm. We don't want them to be those things anyway. I think this is the most autistic argument I've ever been involved in. "Meat eater" doesn't mean someone necessarily only eats meat, you fucking genius. The term "carnivore" is more what you're thinking of, but even then, carnivores can also eat plants and still be considered carnivores.

Jesus Christ.

You better throw me in jail then, FDA shill. I'm calling it vegan cheese because that's a lot more convenient than saying some made up shit.
>No humans are solely meat eaters or if they were, they died.
I know a guy who only eats meat, he's still kicking.

You can always refrain from posting at any time.

i think the transition to veganism or vegetarianism would be easier if it wasnt so insistent on substitution for known meat products

its easier to sell a product if you say "it's like tofu, but better!" than to say "it's like ham but worse!"

I don't often use processed meat substitutes. I go to using tofu, tempeh, or seitan which offers a lot more variety in terms of actually cooking.

Maybe not use the word meateater like my grandmother uses the word nigger then. I know what your trying to do, and your not even subtle about it.

No, you don't. He would get protein poisoning and die. Have you ever heard of rabbit starvation? Or what the Inuits do to get essential oils, vitamins, and fats?

>Meatless meatballs
Please stop insulting my intelligence, it's soybean. Your eating nothing but fucking soybeans.

>being vegan
>being such a picky eater you assign a label to it
>acting like it's a good thing

It should be legal to kill these "people".

>veganism is being a picky eater
you sir are retarded, please leave this thread in peace

You choose not to eat the majority of food available to you for no reason other than to be stubborn.
You're a picky eater.

Wow I really hope the "meat eaters" in this thread are actually just one person, because otherwise I've never seen so many autists in one place. This is embarrassing. Sent into an autistic homicidal rage over what vegans call their food. I hope your moms find out you post on Veeky Forums and ground you from the internet. This is making me want to go vegan just because I don't want to be associated with your kind.

>This is making me want to go vegan

To be honest the food looks really good so I'm actually going to start trying it. Doesn't look like you even have to make a sacrifice except when it comes to things like eating out I guess.

>the food looks really good

You should definitely try it, because trying things is how we grow and learn. Just remember that it's MUCH easier to make plants look like meat than it is to make plants taste like meat.

people seem to forget that vegans still like to eat good food, like anyone else, so almost all of their food is really good. some of the weird products catered to nonvegans to help them adjust into the vegan diet are notoriously bad though, mostly because having to eat a substitute isn't nearly as good psychologically as finding new things that taste good.

Where is that pic from?

The best episode of Superman: The Animated Series

Made this toasted garlic bread, or rather, I made the butter that went on it.

> Mix oils: 2/3 cup melted refined coconut oil + 5/6 cup canola oil
> Mix milk: 3/4 cup plain/unsweetened soy milk + 1 tsp white miso paste + 1/2 tsp lactic acid (or 1 tsp lemon juice + 1 tsp apple cider vinegar) and let stand until thickened/coagulated
> Mix dry: 4 tsp soy lecithin + 1/2 tsp xanthan gum + 2 tsp nutritional yeast + 1/4 tsp salt (I add 1/8 tsp MSG, but it's optional)

Using immersion blender, blend the dry ingredients into the milk, then slowly pour in oils while continuing to blend. Blend until smooth and even.

Next, blend in several raw cloves of garlic (to taste) until smooth. Add a little extra pressed garlic and just stir it in. Allow to sit in the fridge until it solidifies.

Pic related: sliced some bread, spread generous amount of butter on and sprinkled with Italian seasoning, baked until it browned

Made some seitan ribz the other day, basically improvised.

It was made using a slurry of pressed extra-firm tofu, tomato paste, single-ingredient peanut butter, better than bouillon, chinese fermented bean/garlic paste and bean/chili paste, liquid smoke, cayenne pepper, powdered beet, and water, mixed into wheat gluten and nutritional yeast.

This was kneaded well, pressed into a dish, and baked (covered).

After, I added some shiitake mushroom broth and braised until it was a little softened.

Then I let it rest overnight, and finished the next day by basting with BBQ sauce, wrapping in foil, and baking.

Man this made me want to kill myself senpai.

This was some "porkchop" style seitan I made. It used potato chowder, mixed with miso paste, chicken/pork seasoning, and a little soy sauce, blended together.

Then was mixed into wheat gluten and nutritional yeast along with some smoked paprika and brown sugar.

I kneaded and folded it similarly to puff pastry, letting it rest whenever it became too tough. This made it fibrous.

Then I rolled tightly and wrapped in foil, let rest in fridge 30 minutes, and fried on all sides until deep golden brown.

After frying, I re-wrapped and steamed an hour, baked another half hour, and let rest in some shiitake broth overnight.

On the next day I cut it up, and it was good raw, but also quite good with individual slices fried.

As for less alchemic recipes, here is just some regular sweet potato and black bean chili with cornbread and breaded/deep-fried tomatillo.

This was an easier dinner, seasoned and roasted-til-crisp asparagus, roasted cauliflower, and oiled bowtie pasta + green peas topped with sauteed mushrooms and onions.

>It was made using a slurry of pressed extra-firm tofu, tomato paste, single-ingredient peanut butter, better than bouillon, chinese fermented bean/garlic paste and bean/chili paste, liquid smoke, cayenne pepper, powdered beet, and water, mixed into wheat gluten and nutritional yeast.

>be vegan
>eat nothing but processed cancer food
>die of cancer by 32
>"at lest my heart was healthy as fuck when I died"

This one was just a big-ass cauliflower steak and more asparagus

i really like vegan food and i really like meat

Breaded/fried cauliflower poppers tossed with kung-pao sauce and cilantro

These were fun, we made some roasted/pureed yam, cashew cream, and green onion potstickers

They don't know the multi generation effects of a vegan diet. Most vegans today consumed animal products during their early development. It should be banned for young children.

Another easy-mode meal, made some creamy polenta, topped with seasoned lentils, red onion, and cilantro

>They don't know the multi generation effects of a vegan diet.

Yes we do, at least in Indian populations among certain Jains that forgo eggs/dairy. In Western populations there have been studies of Seventh Day Adventists who are a few generations old and practice vegetarian or vegan diets pretty often.

Damn that looks good.

Marry me.

Most of them are vegetarians, so they still consume animal products.

There are actually lots of people who were raised vegan since conception: Seba Johnson (Olympian), Nyjah Houston (professional skateboarder) - and then there's Joaquin Phoenix who's been vegan since age 3.

Tons of healthy vegan babies and children.

But this thread is about the food.

I put out a tray and people were eating it without actually realizing it was vegan. Apparently some people said it was just like the garlic bread at this local restaurant, it had kind of a whipped butter consistency that this was very close to.

That butter technique is really good in general, I actually stole it out of "Seitan And Beyond" but totally changed the ratios and added miso paste and MSG.

This was pretty good. I picked up several kinda of mushrooms at the asian market and fried them with onions in some oil for a while, then tossed with buttered pasta (see for recipe). Topped with roasted tomato and braised eggplant.

>Being capable of enjoying things
Look at this fag

If you swap out the pork for something else like veg-stuffed fried tofu (tahu isi sayuran) and use mushroom sauce instead of oyster sauce with the leaf broccoli, this meal would be vegan. (o:

Not pictured: stir-fried mushroom.

Kind of a random amalgamation of food

- Buttered/garlic bowtie pasta with sewared slices of marinaded king oyster mushrooms (similar to scallops)

- Veggie and pressed/marinaded tofu stirfry with several kinda of mushrooms

- rice ball filled with sauteed mushroom/onion mix

The vegan version actually sounds really good. Never had stuffed fried tofu before. Sounds bomb.

First try at vegan meringue (whipped chickpea brine + sugar + vanilla + salt + cream of tartar)

Fried stuffed tofu is one of my favourite foods. It's surprising that it's not better known outside of Indonesia. Even NL doesn't really care that it exists despite it being so damned delicious.
Basically, cut a square of tofu in quarters, corner to corner.
Cut a pocket into each triangular piece.
Stuff with cold, stir-fried veg. Whatever you like, but cabbage and carrot generally dominate. You can add mushrooms or whatever you enjoy. I dress the veg with mushroom sauce, which can be seen as a vegan alternative to oyster sauce. Finish the stir-fry with onion leaves, herb-celery leaves and bean sprouts.
Once stuffed, dredge the tofu in maizena then dip into a batter made from wheat and rice flours and either maizena or tapioca starch. For colour, you can add turmeric powder, but it's not necessary. Salt to taste. Many recipes add onion leaves and some add spices, such as white pepper or coriander seed powder.

Fry the tofu in hot oil until golden then drain. The maizena helps keep it crispy, even after it cools so it's a good picnic/roadtrip food.

Nice. How was it?

That sounds incredible. Will definitely have to make it one of these days.

That's actually a lot different than what I thought you meant by fried tofu. I've eaten fried tofu skins/inari (pic related) stuff with rice and fried mushrooms, for example.

It was pretty good, though drying out meringue in the oven is tricky. It was actually easier than egg whites though, since the proteins are already denatured you can't overwhip them, the foam is stable for hours and hours, and if it goes flat you can just whip it up again.

>"pic related"
>no pic

Yeah, they're pretty baller. Any leftover veg and batter can be used to make a type of fritter (named either dadar or bakwan, depending on region). My favourite is sweetcorn fritter (dadar jagung), though I've never stuffed tofu with sweetcorn. Bet it'd be good, though.

Anyway, it's meant to be served with green chilli. You take a bite of tofu, then of chilli. Or split a piece of tofu and stuff a chilli into each half-pocket.

Are there any good vegan desserts? All the recipes I've seen tend to be dense and dry.

Oh, and just look up 'resep tahu isi sayuran' on google and use google translate for English for other versions other than the one I gave and/or clearer instructions. Hope you give it a try.

Idky I'm in this thread cuz I'm not even vegan.

Anyway, I'm making a layered mango and coconut "flan" to bring to Easter tomorrow (called agar/puding mangga santan) which is vegan. Basically, puree mango with a little water and add sugar. If you're very strict about white sugars, which tend to be processed with bone char, use evaporated cane juice or palm sugar instead.
Pour the mango mixture through a sieve (to catch the fibres) into a sauce pan.
In a second saucepan, add coconut cream. You want roughly twice the amount of mango puree as coconut cream.
Sweeten the coconut cream and set both sauce pans to medium heat.
When bubbling, add seaweed extract powder (agar-agar) to both saucepans, enough for whatever volume you're cooking.
Simmer five minutes, then pour into a container in layers, starting with mango first, then coconut, ending on a layer of mango.
Allow to cool a bit, then refrigerate until ready to eat.

Usually, this is made with layers of plain coconut cream and pandan coconut cream, but I like the mango version more.

If you have an ice cream machine, mix coconut cream with coconut milk to get roughly 10% fat by volume then mix that 1:1 by weight with whatever fruit puree you like. Again, mango for me. Strain through fine mesh to get out the fibres, sweeten to taste then chill in the fridge a while. Run this base through your machine according to instructions for coconut ice cream of whatever flavour fruit you chose. Obviously, tropical fruits work best as they match best with the coconut-flavoured base.

Try Chloe Coscarelli's recipes. There are infinite good vegan desserts. Her chocolate strawberry shortcake cupcakes are some of my favorite - be sure to use coconut milk in them. It makes them super moist and decadent. Also fluffy but not too fluffy. Just the perfect cupcakes.

Thought about starting my own thread with this question, but it's not really thread worthy, so I'll post it here.

I'm a strict ethical vegan who purposefully moved in specifically with another vegan, so I don't have to smell animal products being cooked, or worry about contamination. I have a phobia of animal products. I don't even eat out anymore unless the restaurant is vegan.

So, I'm paying a shitload of money to share a room with this person, and I'm a full time college student who just quit their job and no longer has a source of income - so I'm here for 3 months just off the money I saved up, and I'm basically broke as hell making sure I have enough for the last month.

Then I find out I'm still smelling some really offensive smells every once in a while and I have to open all the windows and doors and I'm wondering what the fuck he's eating that smells so bad, or if the smell is actually coming from the neighbors. Then I find Morningstar faux bacon and sausages in the freezer - which aren't vegan. FUCK.

So basically the whole reason I quit my job and had to move two times this semester has been largely because I can't stand the smell and contamination from animal products, but here I am in my dream situation in a vegan household, only to find out it was falsely advertised and I'm paying a shitload more money than I normally would for essentially no reason.

The guy is really nice and he was vegetarian for a long time before going "vegan", so IDK I guess it's possible he just didn't think to look at the ingredients in the Morningstar foods. But what if he knows? Either way the conversation about it would be tense and awkward. But I really need him to not eat it because that's basically the whole reason I moved here.

How do I handle this sensitively? Thinking about working it into a conversation about how when I first went vegan I found that a lot of "dairy free cheeses" actually had casein - a milk protein, and how frustrating it was.

I'm paying a shitload of money to share a house.*

This looks fucking amazing. I'm gonna try making seitan soon — I'm pretty intimidated by it.

Just bring it up! Say something like "Hey, I noticed some stuff in the freezer — not all Morningstar products are vegan. Some are just vegetarian. When I first went vegan, I didn't realize that a lot of vegetarian brands/foods/whatever weren't necessarily vegan. I wanted to make sure you knew, since you're a vegan too."

You should drop all that shit and just have a pure glass of water.
For me, it's a pure glass of water.

>vegans still like to eat good food
So why don't they?

Yesterday I told at my family at my uncle and aunts wedding anniversary that I'm a vegan but nobody seemed to care and they still served me meat at the dinner, Wat do?

I'm not sure you know what "processed" means, lad. Aside from the bouillon and liquid smoke, everything he listed is the opposite of processed.

I'm new to seitan too. I haven't tried anything ambitious like those ribs, just steak bites. But steak bites are so easy. Slice your dough before simmering, not after. The strips look more like they have muscle grain when you do that.

Remind me not to be a vegan.
Oh you did.
Thanks.

Oh nice, good to know! Thanks

a) Force them to watch undercover investigations of farms until they understand or don't want contact with you anymore.
b) Cut all contact with them, because they're either drooling idiots who can't be helped, or assholes.
c) Refuse it politely and hold all your rage inside and either become a helpless, spineless shell of a person, or one day explode and slaughter your family members (or some less extreme but similarly rooted variant).
d) Deliberately ruin their anniversary like they ruined the life of the animal they served you.

>just gonna grab a tomatillo real quick, bro

I wish I had the confidence to just be that blunt about it. I don't want to put them on the spot about it. I would be embarrassed if someone called me out on something like that. It's kind of like calling someone out on taking massive dumps and not flushing.

Yeah, I get it. It's awkward and uncomfortable. But if you lived with someone who took a dumb without flushing you'd either eventually
A) tell them (maybe they close the lid and then flush and walk away?)
or
B) move out.

Would you rather have an awkward two minute conversation which might end up bringing something they didn't know (and would WANT to know, considering they say they're vegan) to their attention or move out?

>cashews in my pantry that are about to go bad
>cashews
>go bad

>5/6 cup
>1/8 tsp

these fucked up measurements jesus. at this level of autism you might as well just use weight or milliliter.

they can get rancid, that's why I keep my nuts chillin' in the freezer

>he doesn't weigh his spices in Planck masses

Enjoy having all of your seasonings GROSSLY UNBALANCED you fucking DILETTANTE

1/6 cup is a little more than 2 tbl. Thats retarded. I've never even seen that.

1/8 tsp is probably 2 drops from an eyedropper.

I actually just add coconut oil up to the 2/3 cup mark, then add canola oil until the 12oz (1.5 cup) mark. It just so happens that it works out to 5/6 cup canola oil. The original recipe called for something like 1 cup of coconut oil to 1/3 cup canola oil, and I adjusted that to 2/3 each -which was better, but having slightly more canola leaves it with a better texture IMO.

1/8 tsp MSG is because MSG is pretty potent, and that is actually a serving of MSG according to the package.

HIDE vegan threads

IGNORE vegan threads

DO NOT REPLY to vegan posters

2/3 + 5/6 does not equal 1.5 user...

Who else has vegan animals? My dog and cat are both vegan, and while I sometimes have a hard time thinking of vegan foods to feed them (especially ones that don't cause runny poo) I think it's much healthier for them.

your bait is bad. go try on /an/

Buy "Seitan and Beyond" by Skye Michael Conroy. The first time I made seitan that was really any good, it came out of that book. It's very technically specific and explains the techniques and what ingredients and steps are essential, etc.

After you've done it a few times, you learn some stuff.

> Pure wheat gluten will give you a very chewy seitan, but it's usually better/more meat-like to add something extra to break it up. Nutritional yeast or a slurry (pureed beans, potato, tofu, lots of stuff) works well for this, though each one will affect texture, mouthfeel, flavor, etc, differently. Black beans are probably better for "beef" style than tofu, which is better for "chicken style".

> Cooking style affects texture greatly. As does compressing form using cheesecloth (when streaming, simmering, or pressure cooking) or foil (when baking or steaming). Briefly baking can also make a seitan "fix" its shape, so you can later simmer it without a covering.

> Letting it rest overnight improves texture 1000%

>2/3 + 5/6 does not equal 1.5 user...

I hate to break it to you...

Ummmmmm

I dont understand why you white people are so exciting about vegan foods. I am from Asia and vegan foods are just normal foods. I myself eat them once or twice per week for fun. I eat a lot of meat too.

I did a lot of analysis on this post and it checks out.

>my food has too much flavor! What should I do?
>Don't worry. I've got this covered.

>filename says vegetarian food in vietnamese
>has sausage in one of the dishes

Why the fuck would you go through so much trouble to make that with those shit tier ingredients is bizzare to me.

Some stuff for people interested in trying to go vegan or vegetarian:

Best brand is Morningstar. Gardein is good, some stuff is a bit funky. Boca is decent burgers. Dr. Praeger's burgers just fall apart. Don't touch Quorn, don't even try it. That shit is fucked up and will fuck you up.

I've found there's this weird inverse relationship with meat and meatless meats. The more shitty the "meat" version, the better the meatless.

Meatless chicken nuggets, hot dogs, and corn dogs are just better than the real thing. But I can't stand the grilled strips and beef tips sort of stuff.

Best meatless: nuggets, hot dogs, burgers, corn dogs, sausage patties, ground beef, deli slice, meatballs.

Avoid: grilled breast, grilled strips, beef tips, beef strips. Anything that is still a whole piece of meat, they just can't seem to replicate stuff that isn't ground.

Ribs are a bit iffy, they taste like a McRib. Bacon doesn't taste like pork bacon, more like turkey, so if you like that go for it.

I have yet to find smoked sausage. I feel like it would be good, anyone know a brand?

shot in the dark here — because that person likes food and cooking, felt like experimenting with a recipe, and then liked the way it tasted.

Field Roast's breakfast sausage is the best I've found. It's not the same, but it's more than tolerable.

Long shot: but any good vegan food in Toronto? I wanna start eating less meat.