Why don't universities offer students to take exams for courses without taking the course itself in exchange for a...

Why don't universities offer students to take exams for courses without taking the course itself in exchange for a discount?

Other urls found in this thread:

clep.collegeboard.org/earn-college-credit/get-started
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

clep.collegeboard.org/earn-college-credit/get-started

Because a lot of people would go for it, fail and produce nothing but work. It's retarded.

this

Universities want to make money

My university offered challenge exams for classes where you pay a fee to take an exam after self studying and you get credit for the class.

They would have to admit they aren't really worth the full cost of tuition.

>he thinks college is nothing but tests
>he doesn't understand the value of labs and comprehensive project/assignments

europoor detected. enjoy your draconian teaching methods.

Brainlet here. What the fuck did he mean by this?

instead of having to sit through lecture after lecture after lecture of something you might already know, just skip right to the final exams, test out and get credit

what has europe got to do with it?

don't american unis have loads of tests, more so?

>instead of having to sit through lecture after lecture after lecture of something you might already know
Don't go to lectures then
nobody is forcing you to attend

That sounds awesome.

Yeah but imagine if you could just sign up for the exams and take them as soon as possible. They could have rolling exams throughout the year. People could save time and still be just as qualified.

>People could save time and still be just as qualified.
Why would you want to save time though?

If you're enrolled in a semester full of courses you already know, you have 3-4 months of time to do whatever you want with, and no responsibilities except a handful of tests.
That's a pretty sweet deal.

If you really feel bored with the lectures, you can just pick up some more advanced books and work on deepening your knowledge. University shouldn't be about just collecting credit points, it should be about offering an environment to learn. So use it.

You didn't take AP classes in high school?

They do
It's called distance education or online classes

It's less work than organizing an entire course. And they're still getting paid, so who the fuck cares about passing rates?

europes actually pride themselves on the fact that their courses are nothing but one-shot finals with no assignments and no projects.

US curriculum does have exams, but they aren't the end all be all that european universities laud them to be.

Universities are not primarily about mastering skills. This has been well documented by economists for decades. Universities are a signaling mechanism to employers that you can perform a lot of high-stress, mentally demanding labor; ergo, you will be able to do the work they want you to do. This is why employers are often so relaxed about hiring people with irrelevant degrees and so on. It's assumed the employee will learn the skills necessary for the job. But for overall temperament, a good signal is required. Hence, education.

You'd still have to think about the content of your course, gather material etc. Grading exams is also a lot of work and considering how many people would just go for it.

LMFAO you'll never see a European worry about the cost of courses retard.
Also american college is glorified highschool, which is understandable since american highschool is glorified kindergarten

>labs
just shoot me

This is true. I had to change colleges because I couldn't afford it, then my new college required 90 hours of non-major courses and only 30 hours of major courses to get my degree. But I HAD to take 90 hours of classes not relevant to my degree or the university wouldn't allow me to graduate, even if I had a 4.0 in all the classes I was actually getting a degree for.

I dropped out. It's not even trying to hide the fact university is a blatant cash grab these days.

You could get all the lab skills you need in one summer's worth of a rigorous internship. Don't tell me that you need to be cucked by lab coursework for 4 years in order to do PCR.

Not for your average university fee it isn't.

just skip classes and call it a day

>You could get all the lab skills you need in one summer's worth of a rigorous internship

uh-huh. and how many spergs on this board spout off about having 4.0 GPA's but zero internships in 4 years, and then lament about not finding a job?

thats why those labs exist. because faggots won't get an internship.

It'd be like IT certification tests. You can take the test any time as many times as you like, but it costs money to take the tests. The education for the test can be done by a school or yourself. They don't care.