Redpill me on mathematica

redpill me on mathematica

always do the opposite of what stephen wolfram says

invented by a jew, that should tell you enough right there

I like it. Has a pretty steep learning curve and sometimes basic tasks can take forever to learn how to do. Once you get over that though, it can really "automate" math and can make doing lots of problems doable.

I have never used it, but these guys:
used some pretty funny and catchy memes against it. I'd say that makes it likely that it's bad.

The fuck does redpill mean?

Maple and Mathematica are both living on borrowed time and must bow to the mighty SAGE.

it costs to much and is not open source...so it is something like microsoft...so it is bullshit

>The fuck does redpill mean?
It means you're a newbait.

Have you never seen The Matrix?

Mathematica is cute!

>The fuck does redpill mean?
Seriously?

Nah mate, I wouldn't say the learning curve is steep. I'd rather says that it's very newbie friendly for a lot of the very basic stuff.. (plotting, integrating, graphics etc).

It does then take some time mastering the specific functional oriented syntaxes that you can use to write very compact code...

how are you surprised? this is the most reddit infected board on all of Veeky Forums.

No. It seems like a dumb movie.

If I just want a quick and dirty answer for a math problem or a simple computational problem (including analysing web scraped data), Mathematica is usually the first program I turn to... The only exception is when someone else has a script in MatLab or Python that solves my problem or a similar problem (and only needs minor modification).
Is it better than MatLab/Python/Maple/etc... No... it boils down to preference and sometimes the specific problem (though there is a big overlap in the capabilities in each program).
If it's a problem that takes too long to be done in Mathematica, then it's likely going to take too long in all the aforementioned programs as well and you better start looking at C or Fortran...

Really handy for doing long symbolic calculations.
The way functions and lists work make it really powerful and simple for many tasks.
It's also packaged well and looks pretty.

For actual number crunching you'll want to get something more efficient, though.

>redpill
filtered and hidden

you're thinking of /pol/

Upvote!!!!!!

I like drawing stuff with it.

Sounds like someone failed their linear algebra class

Most of their computational algorithms are quite solid. It is a useful general box of tools to get computational results fast, so you can focus on more important parts.

On the other hand its propietary closed source and thus not quite the ideal thing for peer reviewed research publishing. If computations are a central part of your research, then you should probably go the extra mile and build the code yourself on the basis of open source alternatives like sage etc.

Also Stephen Wolfram is a fucking hack and full of shit.

...and my axe!

It's fun as fuck to play with.

Why does Veeky Forums hate Stefan "Not an Argument" Wolfram?

Because he's a businessman, not a scientist.