Tipping at Breakfast

Part of my weekly tradition is treating myself to breakfast at Waffle House every Friday and Saturday before I head into work. I usually spend about 45 min there and read the news and drink several cups of coffee, and usually spend ~$7.50 per meal.

I always give the waitress $10 even to cover the bill and she keeps the change. Usually, my minimum tip at a restaurant is $4, but it's always so cheap over here that even $4 is a 50% and I'm there so often. What do y'all think?

>Waffle House is awesome btw

I think you should grow the fuck up.

What does that even mean in relation to this, o autist?

>wasting 40 bucks a month on breakfast
>eating breakfast at all

Besides that retardation, there are certain benefits of tipping well in an establishment you're a regular customer of.

>called waffle house
>they dont serve waffle

One time I went to waffle house and asked if they made blue waffles. The waitress and chef didn't know what that was so I asked they look it up on their phone. I snuck out while they were doing it.

>eating breakfast at all

Get a load of Daniel Ocean over here

>he fell for the breakfast meme

Because wahoe is so cheap (usual my wife, daughter, and I are out for 11-13 bucks) I always tip close to 50%. That's about 6 bucks, and its equal to the 25% tip I would have at any other restaurant in the area that would have cost 26-35 bucks.

He sounds pretty grown if he is trying to figure out if the percentage is appropriate given the lack of total price in conjuncture with the fact that America is a tipping culture and the waitresses work hard but do not make much money.

Coming to Veeky Forums, and then the cooking and food board to ask about tipping at a shitty breakfast joint is not grown. Grow the fuck up.

Sure it is. It is grown to ask for advice for things you are not sure about, or things that you were not taught about growing up....just carry along with your substance abuse and shit starting that has defined your life ;)

Grow up babby. Go outside and get some sun on that fat American belly. To many tendies not enough cheeseburgers, huh Randy? Fucking disgusting. Come back when you have a convincing argument, gay boy. Oh, I guess you'll never be back then. Grow up baby boy.

You sound angry user.
Did the Waffle House hurt you?

I've heard of tipping the scales, but this is ridiculous!

You sound dumb, dubs babby boy.

>waitresses work hard

Not that user, but asking Veeky Forums for any kind advice is retarded.

Lol, you an angry lil shit aren't ya lol. Take a few more sips from the bottle, you'll forget about all your poor life decisions....until you sober up again to repeat the process

Exactly this.

>Assuming the abuse of substances

Not him, but do you think about what you're posting or are you just smashing your face into the keyboard and somehow solving the captcha with your asshole? Don't cast stones while living in glass house.

Take a few more sips from your gun.

Hey kid. I've fucked more bitches than niggers have railed ur mum. I've won more fights than you've had drinks from your sippy cup. Bullied in middle school? That was me kiddo. Now I'm making 100k a year and have a hot wife and sexy side chick. I'd snap your neck in an instant without a second thought. So think about that the next time you try to act tough on the internet when you're really just a blubbering babby

You need to go back.

Yeah run away to mommy you little bitch. Hopefully she'll fix you up some chickie tendies with your favorite quinky sauce. Rekt nerd.

>What did you say to me you little bitch/10

Try harder.

Posting "this is a shit thread" in any thread on /ck just bumps it unless it has hit limit.

You never added anything to the thread and all you ever did was refresh it.

If your life is so great, then go live it.

pls go

the only tip I want is a tin of altoids sours

>as if your post is adding something to the thread

>working on Friday
>working on Saturday
>working

>i have no ability to add anything positive to the world so i will just shitpost

>lacking this much self awareness

>i have no idea how to shitpost so i'll just bump this bad thread

I like this thread. I think talking about how much to tip at really cheap restaurants is important because the standard 15% rule starts to break down when your meal costs 4 bucks. How is a waiter/waitress going to live on a single dollar tip?

The inverse is also worth talking about... why would I tip someone 40 bucks just because my meal costs 200? They did no extra work compared to the waffle house waiter/waitress and even if they did slightly more work, there is no objective reasoning behind a 40X increase.

The people that don't like this thread (you) that are bumping it are the people that aren't self aware.

Often times around here I find that the people making the accusations are the people most guilty of it - while being totally self aware. Here we are again.

Thanks for that.

>tipping threads
>good
>ever

This is a rather tame one

Tipping threads are usually a disaster. But this one has merit because it is a discussion about the price of the food.

It's tame because it has a broader topic than just "should i tip."

And until the shitsters came in there were very few edgelords talking about how they never tip - which was a nice change of pace.

nice.

>tipping
Support my slave workers, goy, because I sure won't

What's the best thing to get at Waffle House?

They do, but retards don't get them for some reason. Their pecan waffles are fucking fantastic.

Pecan waffle or hashbrowns with mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, and ham slathered with hot sauce.

>fantastic

Pecan waffle, patty melt, chicken sandwich, hash browns, pork chops.

Grow up.

this shit has to stop.

if you're a server you are taught to add up your tips and your check at the end of the week, and if it's less than minimum wage per hour you worked then the company HAS to compensate you. the truth is, people that get tips make MORE than minimum wage, they're just piss-poor excuses for human beings so they post on facebook and tumblr about "rights".

lrn2merifatlaw newfags, if everyone stopped tipping overnight the whiny folk would get minimum wage pronto, and they'd quickly go back to school because they'd be making less money and would suddenly have nothing to complain about other than their weak life decisions.

Don't feed the trolls. He was triggered as soon as he entered the thread.

>Tipping? I can't afford to tip! REEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I did grow up when I realized that I'm not doing any good when I tip - neither for myself nor the service industry.

It's child-like to do something stupid just because it feels good for a short amount of time.

This. Stop feeling guilted into tipping and the shit will change. Wa la! No more tipping! No more guilt! Waitstaff goes to school to get real jobs! Everybody happy!

You not going isn't going to do anything except show the server that you are a petulant child.

>You not going
What?
>isn't going to do anything except show the server that you are a petulant child
No, what it'll do is increase the frustration of the slave worker which over time will hopefully lead to the changes that need to happen - as these two point out Re-read the last sentence in my previous post. As much as I'd enjoy having a server crawl up my ass because I'm throwing money at them, it's not a positive for either of us when this unfair system keeps maintained that way.

You're the only child in here for putting your feefees over what is rationally the best course of action.

Why you gotta make things hard for the working class broh? I find it's the NEET cheap fucks that make it harder for the hard-working folk who just need a small tip to get by? The nice thing is, your tip is a rating of how well your server performs, and it keeps your price reasonable. If restaurants paid their employees more, you'd have a much higher increase in price all across the board, even if your server is shit or you were picking up an order where a larger tip wouldn't be necessary. The system works broh.

All Star breakfast.

Who's this douchebag? Is this a meme?

I'm the child? You passive aggressively refuse to tip, because you think your actions matter even a little bit. Keep stroking that neckbeard, kid. For every waiter or waitress you refuse to tip, a hundred other people are tipping generously. Stop throwing a temper tantrum.

>You passive aggressively refuse to tip
Again with the feefees. I'm not really emotionally invested in my transactions.

>For every waiter or waitress you refuse to tip, a hundred other people are tipping generously.
And that should bother me why exactly? Best case scenario their wageslavery ends, worst case scenario others foot the bill while I get to keep my money.

Use your brain before you type this nonsense, user.

Grow up child.

seriously guyise please spread this information i'm tired of seeing this shit

See

Why would I want to stop tipping? It's the most tax-efficient way to pay servers, and results in cost savings to all involved.

If a server's hourly wage were increased to give them the same take-home money as they make from tips the overall cost will go up due to taxation.

giving the waitress a 10 and walking out for anything under 10 is fine.

I see you not growing the fuck up.

What's grown up about making irrational choices?

i never said i wanted them to be paid more than minimum wage

it doesn't matter. Even if you want them paid standard minimum wage and not a penny over it would still cost you, the customer, more than an equivalent amount of money paid via tipping.

>Even if you want them paid standard minimum wage and not a penny over it would still cost you, the customer, more than an equivalent amount of money paid via tipping.
Show me your math

this.

ayy is this ray?

Simple. If you tip someone $1 then that $1 goes straight into their pocket, most of the time. If the tipped employee is following the letter of the law (unlikely) then they report the tip as income and they are taxed on it at their normal tax rate. For the sake of easy math let's say that's 25%. So if we assume that they're obeying the law and reporting tips for taxation you tip them $1 and they take home $0.75

Now, let's instead assume that we want to pay them that $0.75 "take home" via wages instead. There's the normal taxes on someone's paycheck to consider (just like legally reported tips), so at this point we're back to paying them the $1 in wages so that it ends up as $0.75 after taxes. Sounds the same right? Not quite. We're forgetting something. When an employer pays wages in the US the employer pays an EQUAL amount of tax to what the employee does. So in order for that $1.00 to appear as pre-tax wages on an employee's pay stub, the employer already had to pay an equal amount of tax--25%--on it. In this case that would mean the owner of the restaurant must pay $1.33.

so, comparing the 3:
1) Real world scenario. You tip $1, server gets $1.

2) Current scenario, assuming everyone follows the law. You tip $1, server gets $0.75

3) Raising wages. Restaurant owner pays $1.33. After the first share of taxes $1.00 goes on the employee's pay stub. After the 2nd round of taxes, employee pockets $0.75.

Thus, paying a higher wage costs 33% more than the tip option.

Unless you yourself were involved in running a business you probably had no idea that payroll taxes are essentially double--your employer pays exactly what you, the employee, pays. The tip system circumvents this.

> then they report the tip as income and they are taxed on it at their normal tax rate.
Which is going to be 0% since the first 20k bucks or so are tax free.

Stopped reading.

The first 20k may be tax free as far as federal income tax goes, but that doesn't apply to all the other taxes: medicare, medicaid, state taxes, social security, and so on. Not to mention that there are a litany of additional taxes that an employer pays that I didn't even bother to mention, like unemployment and state taxes.

>>stopped reading
I can't fix stupid, user.

>working on Saturday

Unless you're a cop or a nurse you may as well kill yourself.

>that retarded tipping debate again
And that's why I don't eat out. Fuck restaurants and fuck servers, the only winning move is not to play

Nurse detected

That and you have zero income and live with your parents.

haha #rekt

>i-if you don't waste your money on frivolities y-you must somehow have less money than meee!
why would I need to eat out when the most delicious thing is your rage and I get that for free?

Savage

Who's raging friend? I bet my arrow hit dang close to the bulls eye if not directly on. You are the epitome of sour grapes. If you had your own income you wouldn't feel insecure about how others spent theirs.

>you wouldn't feel insecure about how others spent theirs
I don't give a fuck how you spend yours, all I said ITT was how I spend mine. Or more specifically, where I don't.

Where's the rest coming from and more importantly, why?

Why do you sound like an insufferable cunt? I can't imagine you're a very popular person with such a shitty attitude.

>w-why aren't you nice to people that talk shit about you
gee

>spend mine
Is that your good boy points or the actual currency your parents give you?

lols.

>I find it's the NEET cheap fucks that make it harder for the hard-working folk

Anyone that is trading their fair labor for money, will always get screwed over by someone that is a greedy fuck that thinks they are better than everyone else and that their money is worth more than your labor.

Greedy people suck. And people that don't tip are sucky greedy people.

Also, don't feed to nontipping trolls. They don't have the balls to not tip. They are just internet edgelords.

You sound like you have 99 problems and money could fix at least 83 of them.

>dude just throw money out of the window lmao
this is the type that assumes anyone not retarded with money to be a neet living with his parents kek

Nicely done.

So, is OP tipping enough or not?

I think he's fine. Being a regular at a restaurant and tipping well has it's perks. The thing about being a regular: if you tip well consistently a server SHOULD give you priority service. But you might be held to higher standard of tipping amount.

The United States runs on tips.

Lol you sound like a fuckin loser my man

I used to tip $5 every time I had the big breakfast meal when I stopped by Waffle House everyday before work.

I quit my job. Months later, I ran into one of the waitresses from Waffle House at a Crackle Barrel down the street and she said the staff at Waffle House were worried about me when they didn't see me stop by anymore.

See now that's adorable.

You should actually tip about 200% of your bill.

For example if you had an $8 meal you should tip $16

This.

>le real jobs meme
Grow Up

>le I should scoot by my entire life on a job meant for high school kids because I'm too shit to move into management meme

>projecting this hard

$3 minimum tip always.

15% if it is more than $3.

>grow the fuck up

Daily cheap breakfast and coffee over a newspaper isn't just grown up, it's practically geriatric

The last time I ate alone was at a Cracker Barrel off I-80 a few months ago.

It was a busy Friday night, around 5:30, place was full. They sat me at a table for 4. I ended up tipping $6.00 on a $13.00 bill because I felt guilty for taking up valuable space.

I eat alone all the time. Waffle House and breakfast in general are socially acceptable to go chill by yourself in a restaurant.

Are your good goy points somehow a more real currency?

Why does tipping sound like an issue that only Veeky Forums autists have trouble understanding?