Are military rations a financially stable way to live? As in...

Are military rations a financially stable way to live? As in, can I continue buying rations to stay healthy without any other food sources?

No those things are designed to make you constipated.
>NICE HISS

Not enough fiber

It's relative. It's not the healthiest shit in the world but it's not the worst either. Also they are expensive as fuck so I don't know why you would even consider it unless you are planning to steal them from a base. They are like 6-12$ a meal.

Do those things even have vegetables? Also how many are you eating? I hope just one a day and nothing else. Seems like a shitty way to live.

That sounds like an awful idea, 4-5 days of eating them on a camping trip and my digestive system feels like it's full of radioactive gas emitting sludge

No. Soldiers don't do this either.
Also what kind of a joyless doomsday prepping backwoods fuck would want to?

When I was in University I was involved in a lot of research projects regarding MREs. The gov't spends a ridiculous amount of money optimizing them in many ways--the packaging, the nutritional content, the taste, etc.

They are nutritionally balanced. But they're fucking expensive like mentioned. For the price of eating 3 MREs a day you could eat like a goddamn king buying groceries & cooking.

It's funny how often this comes up. I've talked to a lot of soldiers during the research I've done and there are two camps. One swears that MREs contain laxatives in order to make sure you don't get constipated in the field and that eating MREs is a guaranteed way to shit yourself. The other swears they contain "anti laxatives" designed to stop you up. Neither theory is true. It's just food.

No... military rations are meant as a temporary fix for soldiers in combat situations.

You are not a soldier in a combat situation and even soldiers don't eat them all the time.

Read the labels. They are far from healthy. They're the same overprocessed chemical saturated, sodium and sugar laden garbage taking up 90% of the average american grocery shelf space.

Not necessarily healthy. They are slightly nutritious, being able to sustain you out in the field and being calorie dense.

They are in no means to be a staple meal of the day, but a temporary replacement for one and or more. Even the military has hot meals for breakfast and dinner, yet uses these to help sustain through the day of training or out on mission, where you cannot go get food on your own.

I do have my own stash, for emergency purposes, and it is strictly that.

>military rations are meant as a temporary fix for soldiers in combat situations.

Researcher from here. That's true, they are only meant for temporary use. But the reason is all about finances and logistics. MREs are expensive, bulky, and generate a lot of waste from all the packaging. Those are the reasons why they're used for temporary situations only. Whenever possible soldiers are fed from field kitchens which are much more efficient and cost-effective. Nutritionally there's no reason why you couldn't live off MREs.

The chocoolate in the old German field rations was notorious for stopping you up for three days. Soldiers would eat the chocolate on purpose before a field exercise so they wouldnt have to poop in front of everybody.

>Eating 3 MREs a day
>3
>A day

Unless you are a hardcore Veeky Forumsizen, then there is no way you'd want to be eating nearly 4,000 calories a day.

Some military installations do have in their commissary the price tag of $5 to $8 for a single MRE. Which quite honestly isn't a bad price. But buying regular consumables would be tastier and more nutritious.

>Are military rations a financially stable way to live?

Fuck no, even if you buy in bulk you're probably looking at like $6 per meal. If you eat 2 every day then you're looking at $84 every week. In college I subsisted on chicken stir fry for about $60 every week.

>then there is no way you'd want to be eating nearly 4,000 calories a day.

Agreed.
But MREs are only about 1200 calories on average. And that's assuming you were to eat every last thing included inside one. Clearly eating 100% of 3 of them a day would be over-eating (unless you were doing a lot of physical activity), but given that the average person doesn't eat the whole thing 3 is not unusual. The MRE menus are actually designed around that fact. Through field testing they learned that many soldiers don't finish the entire MRE. Thus the nutrients are spread throughout all the components so soldiers remain well nourished despite discarding parts of each meal.

If you're trying to become a living mummy sure. Those things are terrible for you; they're meant to keep you alive during war, not ensure a healthy life.

They're designed with low fibre content so soldiers don't have to take shits in the field.

They are high in sodium as well as being expensive compared to home cooking, you will also go crazy after eating the same thing for so long.

t. ex infantry.

no you fucking idiot. you'll get intestinal blockage eventually and they're expensive.

they're fucking adult lunchables.

Expensive sure but they will only block you up if you do not drink enough water, if your piss is not clear you are not drinking enough.

>They're designed with low fibre content so soldiers don't have to take shits in the field.

As I just said, there's zero truth to that. There are all sorts of considerations that go into the formulation of an MRE menu, but zero of them have to do with bowel movements.

I'm not sure why you would, they're not cheap by any means.

>a financially stable way to live?

No.

Buying staple foods in bulk is the most financially stable way to live.

dude, just buy fruit and veggies.

>not considering bowel movements

whether they considered them or not, which is highly fucking unlikely considering they consider everything, they constipate you, because it all turns into thick paste.

This is now officially a Steve thread

Fuck off with your YouTube 'celebrities'.

No. How stupid are you? Those things are kinda expensive.

Learn to cook asshole.

He's a good guy though, not like most youtube trash.

Fuck you

you take that back right now

kill yourself my man

Eat and choke on a bag of nigger dicks

listen you fucking piece of shit

I hope steve holds your girls face in her pillow while she begs for more of that MRE hardened cock. and after he finishes, he slowly cranes his neck to match your gaze, and ever so quietly, with sweat on his brow, he would whisper to you, 'nice.'

so watch your fucking mouth cuckboy.

I hope Steve hears you talking trash about his platform one day from behind. The last words you'll hear before a devastating right hook plunges you into eternal darkness is "Let's get you laid out onto the pavement!"

God I wanna try an MRE so bad

Lel you should write short stories

>Steve opens a condom
>"Nice hiss, it'll be the first of many tonight."

Nice.

I do occasionally. I read more than I write though.

>lick

oh. oh man. it smells rancid. it's gotta kind of metallic taste to it.

>lick

it's not bad actually. it definitely smells worse than it tastes. it somehow retained it's moisture after all these years. never ceases to amaze me how these stay fresh after so long. nice!

Kek, pretty good user.

>Let's get all this out on a bed... nice!

They're expensive. A lot of people like to claim they make you constipated, but that's just a lack of hydration. Just buy frozen/canned ready-made meals if you don't want to prepare food by yourself.

>3 MREs a day
jesus fuck what are you a 500lb animal?

an MRE is 1300-1600 calories

You can make and freeze/dehydrate/can your own food in season and on sale but there's a reason people avoid that in their day to day

shit loses quality

If it makes you constipated it's because it contains a fuck ton of sodium and you're not drinking enough water.

>let's get this all laid out on the trey

>Nice

Vets have a very, very high rate of hemherroids. I just thought I should let you know.

That's the intention, but when your supply lines are stretched or cut off, or when you're away from a FOB for more than a few days, guys end of living off of MREs. See: Vietnam.

they didn't have MREs in vietnam

You're right, they were using C-rations, but that's just semantics. I mean any kind of instant military ration.