>GPA
>thoughts on the school/program

>your school
University of Washington
>major
Computer science and mathematics double major
>GPA
>thoughts on school/program
Very pretty campus, tons of research opportunities, and our CS program is pretty good. I'm happy here

Looks beautiful, much greener than the concrete jungle I live in

>Wichit State
>MS Aerospace Engineering
>3.0
Most of the classes feel like stuff that should've been taught at the bachelor's level (theory of elasticity, FEM, vibrations, etc.) but it's good for making local connections. The department is growing, though, so I expect to see things improve.

>your school
Rutgers University
>major
Materials Science Engineering
>GPA
Tons of research and graduate program opportunities and really accomplished and extraordinary professors. Rest of the school is huge and the social scene here is great, pretty happy here.

Very nice. I would actually want to go outside if I went to your university.

Surprisingly, we're just north of downtown Seattle. The cherry blossoms only bloom during the spring and usually the campus is packed with tourists.
It's usually overcast here. The sun is starting to come out more often, though. Can't wait for May when it's more sunny than not.

any TU München anons here? Thinking about going there. Is it worth it?

>Columbia
>Computer Science (focusing in theoretical CS)
>4.2/4.0

The faculty members here are wonderful, and there's a wealth of understanding to be gained if you put the effort into your courses. One complaint is that literally every class in the department is filled with international graduate students from India who pad the bottom of the curve. You basically get an A or an A+ just for being remotely competent.

>Surprisingly, we're just north of downtown Seattle.

That's still good, maintaining the lush greenery while still being in proximity to the city means the best of both worlds

>your school
University of Amsterdam
>major
Physics/Maths
>GPA
good physics program, lot's of research opportunities and distinguished faculty that you can talk to and approach individually. theoretical courses are great and the government pumps a lot of money into us so top notch resources.

>I'm the only Ivy in this thread

I fucking knew this place was a sack of brainlets.

>Ivy League
your schools are overrated

burger please

which one? If you say Cornell or UPenn you're not really that far from a brainlet.

See here:

>X "STATE"

YA I'LL GET A NUMBA TWO, A LARGE CO-

what is seattle and surrounding areas like?

Eat lead, brainlet.

I work full time as a stress engineer, and you?

Thanks for activating my trap card btw

good job. that's just one of my stock memes. i'm not even in school yet

Is Rocco still teaching? Taking computational complexity with him was the shit. One of the best classes I have ever taken.

Yeah, Rocco is teaching a special topics class this semester (basically a follow-on class to the introductory complexity course, focusing on Fourier analysis, non-uniform circuit complexity, and other things we don't cover in the original course).

Xi Chen usually teaches complexity nowadays, though.

Penn State University
Astrophysics

The campus/town is dank as fuck, and the program is excellent, top 3 undergrad Astro program in the country, if not the best. It's amazing to get to work with so many people who are at the forefront of their fields, it's both humbling and awesome at the same time.

>your school
Karolinska Institutet
>major
Medicine
>GPA
It's pass fail here, so.
It's pretty good. The rankings are ridicolous, 6th worldwide in medicine is hugely inflated tho. Propably because we are responsible for the Nobel Prize in Medicine. Thinking of doing a phd while in med school.

>your school
Cambridge.
>major
Mathematics.
>GPA
A very high first. Not completely comparable but around a 4.0.
Pretty colleges, not as hard as everyone says. In my fourth year now. Been accepted into several Ivy league phd programs, but think I might stay in Cambridge. Either that or Harvard.

RUTGERS grad here.
>bio sci (SEBS)
>3.5
>graduated 2015

What's going on over There? Everywhere I look there is construction now. They are not wasting any time spending those Big Ten bux.

> he actually thinks the place where you study defines your intelligence
If you are memeing, good meme. Otherwise I cry for you.

>your school
University of Quebec in Montreal
>major
CS and software engineering bachelor
>GPA
>thoughts
University feels/is subpar. I miss University of Montreal, I'd studied physics there for two years but I was a dumb kid and did fuck all, got kicked out. My grades were so bad that only University of Quebec would accept me afterward. Now that I have a half-decent gpa maybe other universities would accept me again, but I'm sure they'd force me to retake some classes because of disparities regarding the structure of the program, so that might not even be worth it, and I only have one year to go.

wot college?
Did you have to do GRE for PhD applications to the US? That's long

Any tips as far as applications go?

>School
UC Berkeley
>Degree
M.E. in Computer Engineering
>GPA
>Thoughts
Nice program with good faculty and decent student body. Campus atmosphere is pretty political, and I probably would've gone to Ann-Arbor but I got funding to go to this uni. Not very difficult to get a high GPA so long as you confer with your professors.

>and I probably would've gone to Ann-Arbor
no shit. they're #1 ME

>so long as you confer with your professors.
What did he mean by this?

Takes a lot to listen to your SAT tutor and loaded parents!

Am tumanon. Study CS, it's kinda awesome, but you have to learn a lot of you want to have good grades (too lazy for that haha)

What would bring you to the Seattle area? School, work, or otherwise?

I like it here. I don't have tons of time to go places way off campus, but the times I have it's been really fun. There's a lot of really neat stuff to discover here.

Personally, I like the weather a lot. I love the rain, though I know not many people share my opinion.

As for jobs, there's always openings for tech jobs, and not just in Seattle. Bellevue has a huge tech scene and Redmond, just north of Seattle, is home to Microsoft.

What I don't like about Seattle is definitely the traffic. It is really bad here. I'm from a smaller place that doesn't have traffic anywhere near as bad as here, so it might just be me.

it's just for moving out and school; currently looking at all of the community colleges, probably going to Everett, maybe Shoreline, Edmonds, or Pierce at Puyallup. They all seem so similar that I'm almost just looking at the areas they are around at this point. Anywhere north Seattle seems nice, I guess, where anywhere south Seattle is sort of shitty in comparison. I'd also be coming from small area.

Go ask questions with them about assignments or the class so you get ez breezy GPA

What do you plan on studying?

I've heard good things about Bellevue , Shoreline and Everett. I know UW actively encourages people to transfer from the surrounding colleges to here.

hello fellow dawg

>Bellevue
bellevue looks 10/10, just expensive and no community college

math or physics btw. cs or engineering as back ups

Also Columbia here

Nice gpa

Go Huskies!

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure they have Bellevue College...

If you ever plan on transferring to UW, math and physics are incredibly easy to get into. CSE and any engineering major are exceptionally difficult, especially if you'd transfer.

>Bellevue College.
it just costs too much from what i remember. i would not mind transferring into UW (provided it's not like 50k/year)

>your school
pic related
>major
mechanical engineering
>GPA
i thought this place was a meme until the name landed me an interview, and subsequently a job making 90k$

high ROI indeed.

I'm doing a mech E masters right now. I'm shooting for a 90k/year starting salary as well. I'm currently co-oping at an automotive company but will probably get out of this industry

What industry are you working in?

Are you out of state?
I was out of state and they offered me a lot of money, though they really don't offer a lot of people that much. For the average out of state student, it's about $24k. If you become a resident of Washington, it's about $8k a year

i am
>If you become a resident of Washington
i'm not sure if that's worth not going to school for one year

gas compression. mostly high purity stuff for the medical industry.

It probably is. You could just have a job and save up money, so you'll have money saved AND you get in state rates, so it's like a double whammy. Do you really need to start school right now? Probably not, and you'd benefit greatly. Maybe get in shape and study beyond first year math and stuff too, so you'll also feel better and be way ahead of the freshmen. It's a win-win to just work for a year IMO. School isn't a race user. As long as you aren't like 30+ in freshman year, you're no way in any trouble.

I see. my grad research is currently being done for medical applications and this is my target industry after graduation

I feel everything the medical industry does has potential for high earnings

I honestly wouldn't advise he wait too long because you realize as you get into your mid 20s how competitive life really is

also if you haven't accomplished something major by age 30 you're gonna want to kill yourself

I'm almost 22, so waiting past this fall seems like a waste of time.

>[Hometown] community college (soon to be hometown university)
>Spanish (soon to be linguistics)
>3.0 but going way up at the end of this semester
>My professors are mostly jokes. I can halfass and bullshit my way through most of my assignments and guess roughly what my grade's going to be. My psych professor thrives on this mythos she sells to the freshmen that she's got magical people-reading powers, and my English 2 professor thinks it's the classroom's fault if all 36 of us don't understand what he wants out of an essay. It doesn't cross his mind that maybe he explained himself badly. I've accepted that no matter how high up the ladder of academia you climb, there will be more people than not who are dumb, delusional, and/or full of shit.

medical, semiconductors, or weapons is where all the money is at. the boys slinging silicon get worked like dogs and i don't have the stomach to build nukes.

if you don't mind the travel, the turbomachinery industry is quite lucrative and not terribly demanding in terms of hours worked.

I go to Uni of Texas San Antonio Branch
>Physics
>3.5
its okay the department is small though, ~25 lecturers/professors for ~100-150 students

what are your salary expectations mid career for the company you're at?

base salary? 120k$. thats what my direct supervisor is making. the bonus structure where i'm at is pretty nice so i could clear 150k depending on performance and how the company is doing.

>Northern Arizona University
>Math/Psych double
>3.0 (Literally have got a B in every class)
is okay

UC Riverside
PhD Chemistry / Inorganic Materials
I like it a lot. Lots of money to do research in the UC system. campus is beautiful. Lots of well accomplished professors and good industry connections. its a shame the school is in Riverside where there is not much to do.

I synthesize and characterize novel electrochemical materials for batteries, then test the materials as complete cells. Amazingly interesting project so I couldnt love what im doing any more.

Any engineers / MSE grads / Materials chemists know what the battery industry looks like for jobs? it seems decent from what I can tell if you have a broad skillset.

pretty good if you're just doing a 40-50 hr work week bro

its 40-50 hours a week, but the real kick in the ass (if you are a family man i guess) is the fact that you are living in a hotel 100 days out of the year.

its why i said if you don't mind the travel.

>Universidad de Panamá
>Mathematics
>3.75

>thoughts on the school
My thoughts on the school is that it could be better. There is clearly a lack of funding in the maintenance department here. The bathrooms look disgusting, the walls (almost) everywhere look worn out and actually ugly. But there are certain parts that look beautiful. The conference rooms and the all the administrative buildings are kept 100% clean while the rest of the place is left to rot. But it's okay, I guess. It is really cheap (Costs 20$ a semester) and I didn't come here to look at pretty walls anyways. What really matters is:

>thoughts on the program
Pretty good if you ask me. The only "bad" part is that because this country is small and not particularly developed, not all the professors are PhDs. In fact, you can be a main full time professor with just a masters degree but even then those people are also working on the side to get a PhD. And in every field there is an actual PhD who does actual talks and research so that is good enough for me. Oh, and I guess I should mention this: The professors working to get PhDs or who have them did not get them here. This university does not award doctorate degrees for mathematics. But it seems to have enough funding to pay for the students/professors they already have to go abroad and get PhDs out there. My number theory professor got his PhD in the US. I think all of them get their PhDs in the US or somewhere similar because every PhD knows english, whereas the professors who just have masters degrees do not know english that well. Because of these slight problems I used to think that I would fall behind on the education level but as a sophomore who studies completely online with material posted by US universities I am surprised to see that the level is roughly the same.

I'm single and plan to be for the next 3 or 4 years

If you have an MSE degree you will get a job in CA, the field is booming and will grow at a fast rate. Im a metallurgical engineer working at Boeing.

what are starting salaries looking like out there?

anything in CA is going to be high 70's to low 80's minimum. CoL is crazy.

I got offered 100k$ to work in Oakland at the Social Security Administration as a glorified maintenance man.

But my professors are mean to me and they roll their eyes when I ask them questions.

>ANY QUESTIONS? ANYONE?!
>class is terrified to speak because he will ridicule them
>None at all?
>Well.....ok, how do we ____?
>Prof says something condescending than scribbles out answer while others quietly whispering thanks
>moving on

my brother is a sales bro working in SF and makes about 130k with 5 years experience

>But my professors are mean to me and they roll their eyes when I ask them questions.

so what? you (or at least someone) is paying for you to be there. you have to go into the class with the mindset that you are a customer and the professor is delivering a service. if i didn't ask at least one or two questions per lecture, i didn't think i was getting my money's worth.

>your school
Ball State University
>major
Physics
>GPA
Good physics and math department, but not well known. Lots of retards in the programs as well

>CoL is crazy.
This is very true.
People cream themselves over the massive salaries people get in the Bay Area but they don't realize that unless you're willing to sleep in your van the rent/housing cost anywhere within 2 hours of your office is going to rape you so hard it's barely worth it

its not even the bay area. LA is ridiculous as well. you can't even buy a manufactured home for less than 200k$.

the only places that are still semi-reasonable are way the hell out in the desert.

>not well known
>Ranking: #176 National University (2017)
you don't say.

Yeah lots of degenerates here, but the professors are actually competent. My physics prof got his PhD at UChicago and works at a national lab. So I'm basically guaranteed to do research with him which will be valuable experience when I want to go for my PhD.

>A subset university of the University of Texas system
>Mathematics with a concentration in Science
>2.59 GPA
>I hate the department and the degree plans. The only reason I'm doing science is because the Applied Math plan was shit.

>Everett
wtf evcc is shit

Cs

I'll elaborate

>Your school
Top 5 public school, won't say which one

>Major
CS

>GPA

>Your thoughts
My classmates are extremely privileged, mostly come from upper middle to upper class families. They all went to high schools much better than the one I attended and have an edge in receiving a better education in HS than I did. lots of overachievers. Lots of "top in class in HS" students.

Yet somehow I am doing better than majority of my classmates. I think it's because my raw intellect + work ethic evens out their better education in HS advntg. I thinks some of my classmates are insufferable with huge ego problems, most are chill and every down to earth / every day normal folks though. Professors are hardasses.

how's life in ann arbor

kek

>Your school
University Of Guelph
>Major
Bio-Medical Science
>GPA
>Thoughts on School
Campus is really nice, lots of plants/greenery everywhere. Went here hoping to get a whiter school than Waterloo or UOT, but while the Asian population is significantly less, there's still a boatload of Muslims+Indians, which my program only compounds. Very good food, rated best in the country for over the past decade.
>thoughts on program
Still need to do more upper-year courses in order to get a better grasp on the quality desu. Even Sophomore year the classes are pretty large. At least in terms of Biology as opposed to Bio-med, the department seems very strong. Lot of research going on, and with the Vet's College as a faculty it's pretty high quality.

>>your school
cant say because of doxxing
>>major
cs
>>GPA
>>thoughts on the school/program
It's a literal diploma mill. Online, but run through a brick and mortar uni. My degree will be as good as toilet paper. In Canada

>(the) Ohio State University
>Molecular Genetics
>N/A
>don't know; transferring in soon, scheduling a tour but impressed by what I've seen so far
any former/current buckeyes that can give me the quick rundown?

>School
UChicago
>Major
Math
>GPA
>thoughts
Math department is good, core stuff is pretty fun, challenging but very rewarding :)

>cant say because of doxxing

>Oh no I can't say what school i go to because user can easily figure out exactly who I am from the tens of thousands of students enrolled there solely from the fucking name and then send niggers to come rape me.

you have to be 18 to post here, senpai.

Harvard especially is cancerous

>my classmates are insufferable with huge ego problems

I think you just described yourself

ryerson

Which subset?

>your school
Cal Poly Pomona
>major
Electrical Engineering
>GPA
Already graduated and have a good job. Professors and the program are good but slowly turning to shit. School is moving to semester system and all the teachers are retiring. They are also decreasing lab classes in favor of only lecture

Nice, I'm going there next year and planning on pursuing the same double major. Did you ever take the 13x or 23x series for math?

Roseville High School
Entrepreneurialism

at lesat you're out.

How were your job prospects looking like graduating from a CSU?

Harvard
Phil
Pretty overrated to be honest. Sort of wonder if the only reason I got in is because I'm black as night.

what field of electrical engineering?

>a directional state university
>microbiology
>3.0
>pretty much every department but bio, chem, and education is an accredited one but a meme.
On a good note, all of the arts majors have a comfy detainment zone away from main campus.

DCHS applied for motlow uni for my junior year
Thinking about Physics
above 3
High school is shitty in an unsupportive vindictive environment