ITT: Scientific blunders that everybody believes

ITT: Scientific blunders that everybody believes

>Well, the way gravity works it that mass curves spacetime, so smaller nearby objects fall towards larger objects due to a force called... gravity

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WJfS5bvb6Yk
youtube.com/watch?v=kDQD2kTerf0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The common misconception that baffles me is people thinking that mass has anything to do with how something is affected by gravity.

It is literally taught in elementary school that if you drop a baseball and a bowling ball off a tall building at the same time, both will hit the ground at the same time. So what the fuck is going on in peoples' heads when they ask
>"How is light affected by gravity if it has no mass?"

0.9999... = 1

What they're taught in elementary school is that all mass is attracted to the earth at the same rate. I.e, the increased attraction due to a larger mass is "canceled out" by the greater inertial mass, which happen to be exactly the same.

Not from Veeky Forums, but isn't that mostly right? Mass attracts other mass (both ways) because of gravity.

and now I'm confused, explain things to me

Feel free to provide a simple analogy explaining spacetime geodesics that any high schooler can understand.

Cancer

>The common misconception that baffles me is people thinking that mass has anything to do with how something is affected by gravity.
Well things with greater mass have a greater force act on them in a gravitational field, it's just that heavier objects also happen to require a greater force to achieve the same acceleration.

idk what the deal is in GR but I'm pretty sure mass is still involved.

they were talking about the affects of gravity and nothing more.

9 = 8.99999...

>science proves...

>Light
>Having no mass
another scientific blunder, it's just super small.

trollposter can't do that

so what you be telling me is that things with huger mass be attracted to the earth with a greater force but it be taking more force to pull it because the object be more massive?

if infinitely small numbers don't exist, then you can't write 0.999... in the first place

What?

The curving is an extra effect

yes

They lied to you. The bowling ball will always hit the ground first. The difference is just extremely small.

Well, even though spherical light in vacuum does not have any mass when it not moves, when it moves, it has. And it always moves.

Light is just energy, does energy has mass?

Like really? Even a children knows nowadays, that e=mc^2 and Einstein built a atom bomb and got a nobel price because of it.

Wrong. The only mass is invarient mass and that's 0 for a photon (think about the principal of relativity). Light travels along a geodesic.

Finally, a motherfucker that understands the properties of mass and how it can be used as both a force increase and acceleration inhibitor. That's why light can be bent because it has energy (equal to mass because mass is just spatially concentrated energy) and that energy is practically infinitely light so the amount of inertia is near infinitely zero so the force is very small yet equally balanced out to be proportional to whatever 'G' exists at that point in space.

Numbers don't exist, except as concepts

Trumpians don't believe in gravity either now? Why does that not surprise me?

If 0.999... = 1 Then what is 0.999 ... + 0.111...

Is it equal to 1 ? but if It's equal to 1 then : 1 = 0.999... = 0.999... + 0.111... -> 0.111... = 0 And that's impossible.

So 0.999... is not equal to 1

Literally everything you posted is wrong.

0.999... + 0.111... converts every 9 to a 1, then moves it up one place, resulting in 1.111...

Which is another proof that 0.999...=1

wrong. incorrect. no. wrong. not right. very bad. off-kilter.

You don't just add one to every nine desu. Your first expression has gone over 1. Look. .99+.11=1.1 desu. Just a finite example.

9=8.9999...=8.(8.9999...)(8.9999...)(8.9999...)(8.9999...)=8.(8.(...=8.888888...
9=8.88888

Lol people actually still belive that the erth is round.

youtube.com/watch?v=WJfS5bvb6Yk

Like lol, if planes were to fly on round earth why don't they just fly straight off into space?

Why don't you fly straight off into space?

Mod abuse

Density, acceleration, friction, ect...
Gravity is not needed. The fundamental pillars of classical physics are capable of solving earthly problems. Only "space" systems require the majical mathematics of gravity.

if you drop a bowling ball off a building, and then drop a large planet next, they will not hit the ground at the same time because the planet has more mass

you add .0000... ...0001 to .999... to get 1
it has infinite zeros, so its basically 0, so .9999 is kinda like 1.

I don't like it much but thats how our numerical system works and how 1/3 * 3 =1

Exceptional quality bait.

explain what was meant by this?

>not understanding tidal locking
>thinking the north pole is the center of the world
>not understanding distances between locations require the earth to be spherical
>CLOUDS
>not understanding that the earth will appear circular from any distance but will appear to have different sized continents
>Australia has upside down buildings
>truman show as evidence
>curvature of space time has a "huh?" on the screen with question marks and laugh track
this is too much.

youtube.com/watch?v=kDQD2kTerf0

"Heat rises"

>if you drop a baseball and a bowling ball off a tall building at the same time, both will hit the ground at the same time
Well, that would be a "white" lie. Aside from the bait at hand, we can assume this building is on Earth, as we also have the cultural references to sporting goods. That means there's an atmosphere. The "tall" implies a great height, and that means the baseball will probably reach terminal velocity fairly quickly, whereas the bowling ball will have a higher one. So the bowling ball should hit first.

>Like lol, if planes were to fly on round earth why don't they just fly straight off into space?

Well Chucklehead, the implication of the plane continuing "straight" into space would be that the atmosphere continued on at a constant pressure. In the real world, the atmosphere gets thinner as you gain altitude. A plane in steady flight maintains an equilibrium between the angle of attack of the wing and thrust of the engines that keeps the plane within a level of atmosphere where its rarity is more or less the same, but uses occasional minor trim when local pressure and density varies slightly.

How the fuck is 0.999.. an infinitely small number, you retard?

Gravity is a social construct bigot

F=ma

also see: gravitational potential energy