Mathematics Major vs Physics vs Comp Sci

Hey Veeky Forums,
I will be brief here: I can not decide whether I want to major in Mathematics, Physics, or Comp Sci.

I have been programming for a good while now, and I really enjoy doing it. In preperation for going to college for Comp Sci though, I started studying and practicing Math really hard and frequenting this board a lot, so much to the point that I actually have realized I have a very large fondness for Math I never even knew I had.

I was always told in school I had a Math disability, truth is I never tried or care to understand it. Now that I have been trying I feel very fucking angry at myself for never having this much interest in school.

So far, I am about 85% of the way finished with my Pre-Calc studies, and I take my entry exam next month, but instead of going onto Comp Sci I am really considering doing Physics or Math.

The problem is I don't really know much about these majors.

I haven't the faintest clue what the job prospects are for these two majors, the only info I can find on them are just that most Math majors become professors or statisticians. That just sounds boring to me.

What do you Math majors out there do?

Mathfag here. I graduated from CalTech with a near-perfect GPA and excellent references, and I haven't been able to get a decent job in the dozen or so industries I've been applying to. The competition is just insane, and so much of it is coming from overseas. I wish I'd done petroleum engineering or something along those lines.

Did you not want to stay in academia? Seems like you could do quite easily with those credentials

Math or physics is little safer than a humanities degree, unless you're Harvard/Purdue/MIT. Stick to engineering. The economy doesn't care that you know what a Banach manifold is.

you're better off with engineering lad
or physics but physics is only viable if you're going to take PhD or MSc. CS if you don't want family and dont mind living as a lower middle class

>CalTech
I don't think you went there.

If you care more about bragging on /g/, go for math or physics, if you care about getting a good job, go comp sci.

This is just my outlook from someone who’s a senior in pure math
Math has several “concentrations” that include

Pure math – Only if you want to be an academic mathematician, you’ll need a Masters at the bare minimum unless you’re a prodigy.

Applied math – This is probably one of the most diverse field that I can think of, as you can apply math to anything, just take classes you think will help you in whatever you want. I assume the amount of jobs pool is huge for this as you’ll generally have experience with statistics, computer science coming out of this.

Statistics – The most financially rewarding math field, not sure how easy it is to get a job here, but statisticians can work with just about anyone who has data.

Teaching – Brainlet Tier and self-explanatory.

Actuary - Not very familiar with this so I couldn't say, but I assume they mess around with the stock market. So they probably also make large sums of money

OP here,
to clarify I understand that if I were to go to college for a Comp Sci degree that is all I would be getting out of it. I understand completely that most people who go there are retards and can barely program when they leave.

If I were to go for Comp Sci, I would not go for the intellectual challenge of doing it, I would go just to get more job opportunities in the field I love. That is literally it. That is the only reason I would go. Just to get access to the extra 45% of jobs that require a degree.

I have thought of engineering. What do they typically do for jobs?

/g/ possesses some of the dumbest, most retarded anti-programmers I have ever fucking scene in my entire life on the internet.

Like, they are literally fucking r/progamming, only for some reason they are pretentious and condescending.

r/programming will be passive aggressive about their expressing of "Jave is le best!", but /g/ will just flat out go ballistic if you dare point out the horrible glaring ineffeciencies in regards to the JRE, and the god awful fucking issues that plague c++.

I mean for fucks sake, I even saw a 400+ reply thread of anons non-ironically talking about how fucking PHP is a fantastic backend language that will never be superseded by Flask or Django(they also like Django more than Flask, even though it is fucking retarded. Do not get me started.)

That and they don't see the logic in learning assembly or reversing or...

GOD, I fucking hate how god damned stupid they are. The epitome of fucking code monkeys, all romping around in that damn barrel over there. Sheesh.

Yeah right dude Caltech would get you hooked on the spot especially with that performance
t. Guy who wants proof

Why don't you become a painter or an actor or something? Why do something dull like engineering?

Like see, this here this is your usual /g/ thread. A retarded question asked by either a troll or a genuine retard, and people in the replies actually taking it seriously and responding with misinformed bullshit and then starting a flame war over it. The fuck is this doing on Veeky Forums?

Alright, so Pure math.
What do they do? I am reading that some jobs they have involve lots of algebra, calc, trig, etc.
Those were some of my favorites to do in my studies, solving and learning wise. Not everyone seems to like algebra for some reason, they think its boring, but I fucking love solving equations and manipulating them. It's comfy as fuck.

>Applied Math
This sounds fucking great though. This is probably the best one you said in the post, other than Actuary.

I really like Economics too, like almost as much as I like programming, and I was considering minoring in it or majoring in it even, but I'd rather just do straight math instead.

>Painter
No thanks. I only recently picked up learning how to draw and although I enjoy it, it's really only something I like doing at the end of the day when I am laying in my bed winding down.
>Acting
Actually in the past, I considered it. I have a knack for getting into character. Probably because I am a medically diagnosed aspie who plays pretend and goes on escapist adventures in his head when he's alone.

>The problem is I don't really know much about these majors.

>generic math major:
Calculus 1&2
Vector Calculus
Matrix Algebra
Ordinary Differential Equations
Intro to Proofs
Honors Real Analysis 1
Honors Abstract Algebra 1
>Electives 5~6 courses; strongly recommended are:
Point-set Topology
Linear Algebra 2
Honors Real Analysis 2
Honors Abstract Algebra 2
Complex Variables and/or Complex Analysis
Partial Differential Equations

>generic physics major:
Freshman Physics 1-3
Calculus 1&2
Vector Calculus
Matrix Algebra
Ordinary Differential Equations
Partial Differential Equations
Complex Variables
Analytical Mechanics 1 (possibly 2 courses)
Electrodynamics 1&2
Quantum Mechanics 1&2
Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics (possibly 2 courses)
Crash course on Electronics
Junior Year Experimental Physics (possibly 2 courses)
>Electives 2~4 courses; choices include:
Solid State Physics
Particle Physics
Optics
Astrophysics courses

>I haven't the faintest clue what the job prospects are for these two majors

You can become a programmer with any major so it doesn't really matter. Learn what you want to learn.

>I would go just to get more job opportunities in the field I love. That is literally it. That is the only reason I would go. Just to get access to the extra 45% of jobs that require a degree.

There are no programming job that are exclusive to CS majors.

If you want to be an interesting peron who gets all the gurls then please study pure mathematics, the only set of skills worth sacrifying oneself for

I was in a similar situation, OP. Decided to pursue my math PhD. Now I can't get an academic position for shit because of all the pajeets. Thinking of blowing my brains out.

Being a highschool teacher is pretty nice, though. It's an easy job, 20 hours a week, three months of vacation, and you can make extra bucks on the side with the tutoring.

>Alright, so Pure math. What do they do?
Math professor who does math research
That's pretty much the only career in this concentration, you face risk of unemployment even with a Ph.D from what I've heard.

Pure math is for autistics students, if you're only bright you have more chances with engineering or physics.

I'm also thinking about going for my math ph.d
hope i have better luck
About to start my last year of undergraduate.

God damn it.

Well then I guess if I do a math major it'll be engineering or physics, if I don't go and do Comp Sci.

Well, then what do Physicists do? What is the deal with the whole Theoretical Physicist vs. Experimental Physicist? Do I get to go work at Black Mesa?

Actually working at a cool ass place like the Los Alamos National Laboratory would be fucking cool as shit.

Not OP, but what is the perspective for a physics major? Wanted to do research, but there's kind of no chance for tenure.

I'm much more interested in pure maths than anything else, but the financial rewards and job prospects on the financial/data science side are far better than in any academic position, and I worry that you have to be a genius to actually do any sort of valuable research. Can you still get a job in the quanitative finance sector with a masters/phd in pure maths?

The mathematician easily can become a physicist and trivially so a computer scientist.

The physicist can sometimes become a mathematician and easily become a computer scientist

The computer scientist can become neither of the aforementioned but can easily become a cashier at McDonalds.

I love this meme.