Seriously, Im about to graduate with an undergraduate in English Literature and it feels completely useless...

Seriously, Im about to graduate with an undergraduate in English Literature and it feels completely useless. I haven't even read any shakespeare for any of my classes, we just read Toni Morrison and James Baldwin. I haven't even read the Canterbury tales.

I should have just gone STEM. I feel like if I go to grad school, I'll have to write a thesis like "How Whitey is Bad in Literature: A Study"

Does anyone else feel this way? Anyone made the switch to STEM late in the game because of how awful humanities are?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quest_University
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

How much money have you spent already? I think you're fucked, buddy. Good luck.

no

I've taken out 70k in loans already. I could probably switch to Math and finish in 2 years. I just feel like I've already wasted 3 years

I'm graduating in the summer with my degree in English Literature and it does feel useless, but I'm going to community college for IT in the near future. Luckily my parents payed for my BA so I have no debt.

Seriously...I can't believe people take out loans for a fucking arts degree. The general rule is that your debt shouldn't exceed the salary of your first year of post-school work.

I switched from humanities to STEM after a few years, not because humanities is awful though.

As someone who can read both those dissertations are an equivalent level of banality.

Don't go to grad school unless you want to teach and in that case good luck finding an open position.

I "wasted" about 4 years, I spent 6 years at community college figuring out what I wanted to do. You're probably fucked though, you should start looking for government jobs because they will give you the best starting off point.

Don't buy into their bullshit. Be brave enough to resist the professors that peddle that shit and get close to the sensible professors that will encourage you for your skill and that alone. Take what they teach and find your own way, do your own independent work, and show that you actually care and have some ambition about where you want to go.

But honestly I do feel sorry for you having debt like that, but that's not the degrees fault but the American tertiary system. And STEM jobs are hard to find too.

bump.

>I feel like if I go to grad school, I'll have to write a thesis like "How Whitey is Bad in Literature: A Study"

You probably will too.

should've chosen the education option at yr university friend so you could teach

otherwise use that lit degree to go to law schools. literature people are perfect for it

>teach subpar black and female writers over rigourously teaching students the classics
>"Why aren't there any good millennial writers?"
Art is dying because of progressivism and feminization.

>graduate school teaches people to write
It teaches them to be critics and professors.

lol nice try, unless you signed up for a whole course on either of them what class teaches multiple books by a single author, post your actual assigned reading lists or stfu
also you could have...signed up for a shakespeare class...

Feeling this way too, OP. I've had some legit professors along the way who seemed to only pay lip-service to the identity politics crowd. But even in those classes, it's inevitable that the only classmates who contribute anything at all to class have already been indoctrinated, and once again we're sucked into a game of identity politics. I fear that once I've graduated, all of my peers will be solely comprised of these kinds of people. I'm considering switching as well, but I've already wasted three years--exploring different options and just trying to buy time--all to avoid committing to an English degree.

40k in loans already. I'm trying to learn to code, and with what little I've learned so far, I sort of enjoy it. Don't know if I should just have the balls to throw myself entirely into what I truly love, or bail now and try to salvage my education before it's too late.

So, your claim is that your university has no undergrad courses that include Shakespeare or Chaucer?

They're getting progressively rarer as the browns and vaginas overtake them.

not op but my university's only courses on shakespeare are either a general shakespeare studies or shakespeare and ecofeminism.

thankfully we have a dedicated chaucer scholar who teaches a class on chaucer

My school is a pretty "diverse"/low barrier of entry kind of place, and you can't even graduate with an English degree without taking at least one class focused entirely on a specific author (Shakespeare, Chaucer, Twain, some other guys).

surely there are multiple drama course that teach shakespeare...

if op isn't entirely lying or exaggerating to throw a pity party for himself, op and all of you should be less lazy when picking your courses if you're so sensitive

>english degree
>drama courses
pick one

as in studying plays not performing them

At least the humanities dissertations make me feels something (contempt, but still something)

Do what you love friend. Can't waste your entire life working on stuff that doesn't fulfill you. Cheers

This fucking practice of using education for a standard in the workforce has cheapened academia to the point where its not even worth it to attend for anything other than a stem degree. I'm going to be the fucking one, since no one else is going to do it. I'm going to form an actual fucking humanities institution that has greater academic value than any school that currently exists in the US. I don't care what it takes, but I can no longer stand for the misuse of education. I can no longer accept what academia has become to our society. I'm devoting my life to this now, if my school pops up on the radar in 10 years you fuckers will know it was a Veeky Forumsard who started it.

Hire me to teach classes my mang, I'm pretty patrician if I do say so myself

I'm a steal because I have also worked as a janitor so I can do that too

if you get up and running let us know. if youre not some lefty ideologue and your admissions criteria are rigorous enough ill donate some money to get a building or scholarship named after me

What you describe already exists in the University of Chicago.

I'm graduating with a degree in philosophy soon and I've got good internship experience under my belt in the advertising industry and no debt to speak of besides some minor credit card fuck ups.

I thought about electrical engineering and finance. It's not that they're too quantitatively challenging for me, it's that I would've been left utterly unfulfilled. And this is coming from someone who grew up dirt poor, well aware of the pain of poverty. You have to weigh the risks of graduating indebted and prospectless with how much being poor sucks.

That said, a finance job would have made me hang myself next to my Porsche and an engineering job, while I love circuits, seemed way too mundane and task-oriented.

You already fucked up by going $70k into debt in lieu of going to community college for virtually nothing. You need to apply anywhere that will school you for free/give you scholarships for having a good GPA. Do anything, because it's assretarded to graduate $140k in debt for an English degree. And unless you're going to a top tier English school, no one gives a shit where you got your degree at. You might as well go somewhere cheap as shit.

I'm moving to New York after I graduate and I'm probably gonna be living out of my car, utilizing only my cell phone, a tablet, and a gym membership until I can find some decent work in advertising. I need to wiggle my foot in the door somewhere, somehow, and I will.

You chose to do this OP, and it's going to be harder for us. Time to nut up.

How so?

Every incoming freshman receives this exact letter.

Also, Jonathan Haidt, Professor of Business Ethics at the NYU Stern School of Business, wrote in an article a couple months ago the Brown is the most "social justice" university in the US, while the University of Chicago is the most "truth oriented" university.

Every single college no matter how shitty has a Shakespeare course. You must have just chosen bad classes.

I am aiming solely to create a university detached from the economy of education, an institution with a worthless degree, one where the only people who will want to attend are those who have true passion for their field. What you posted just fits into your own ideological ideal of how a university should act, not one that addresses the fundamental issues that are undermining higher education in America right now. I like what there doing at UC, but it is merely tangential to my ambition.

google that really small college that's in chicago, small as in there's like 16 people
>I like what there doing at UC, but it is merely tangential to my ambition.
>there
you're sure on your way!

I've been disappointed to watch the last several months of academics / administration people backing away from that letter like a bunch of pussies

Professors in class hemming and hawing about it, other top admin figures saying "hey just because the DEAN wrote it doesn't mean the PRESIDENT agrees with it!" etc.

Also, I'm at UChicago, and people literally cried in class the day after Trump won.

Lol what the fuck? My university is incredibly liberal, but English majors have to take at least one British literature class, one American literature class, and one class about literature pre-1800 (usually Shakespeare but there are other options). You are also required to take at least one "multicultural literature" class, but even that category has multiple options, from African and African American Literature to Latin American literature to Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, and just about any culture you could think of.

So basically, either a) you're a fucking retard who intentionally signed up for courses titled "African American Literature" and complained about having to read African American Literature, or more likely, this is a low quality bait thread (I'm aware I took the bait) and none of this actually happened.

My uni is quite PC (Mount Saint Vincent University) but the degree requirements for English are quite good. The majority of the requisites are based on time periods; you need a credit from each period 16th century lit, 17th century, 18th century, etc.. as well as a full credit of Shakespeare and a half credit of critical theory. It doesn't shock me that some universities in the States don't require Shakespeare but require marxist and queer theory.

>It doesn't shock me that some universities in the States don't require Shakespeare but require marxist and queer theory.
lol they don't, a lot of schools have a requirement for a cultural unit like says
Marxism is barely if at all talked about

Fucking prescriptivist get the fuck off of Veeky Forums. Do you think you're adding anything to the discussion?

How is U of Chicago? Overall and for a prospective English major. I applied EA, and it's one of my top choices. My main concern is the infamous reputation for academic rigor with a shitton of work and little to no time for "fun."

I can't really speak to the undergrads since I'm doing PhD in a different field and I went elsewhere for undergrad, the equivalent of a high-ranked state school and in a different country altogether.

But in my completely off-the-cuff fuzzy opinion based on interacting with them twice, they seem pretty great. My undergrad university was very good in terms of rankings and shit, and maybe I just had bad luck with it, but students there were uniformly half-assed and cynical by comparison. Though it was much more of a business and STEM school.

Again, not sure about the Lit side of things, but the Humanities professors I've met are amazing compared to my other school.

Probably don't rely on anything I say, for such a major decision. Also, do your research on Hyde Park and talk to people who live here, for sure.

yeah it must be everyone else's fault that you're retarded

Thanks, definitely helpful to hear.

I've spoken to students, done a bit of research already and heard mixed but generally positive reviews. It helps a lot to hear from someone who, at least to some capacity, shares a similar mindset/interests.

Yep, the humanities department is now a fucking joke.

I dropped out after three years of pursuing an English Lit degree. Now I'm getting my EMT certificate and plan on driving an ambulance for a few years before becoming a firefighter. After that I'll be working one day on two days off and have plenty of free time to write.

>Anyone made the switch to STEM late in the game because of how awful humanities are?

yes. switched in junior year from English to Cog Sci. I like it a lot more. No more bullshitting. No more bullshitting! And I can read all I want in my downtime.

welcome to pouring coffee for life

STEM is worse. You can write your dissertation on anything you want, it's just that you will be surrounded by slave moralists.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quest_University

My university is currently trying to emulate this model.

It's not humanities, but it is literally whatever the hell you want.

Seems like its kind of bullshit

why's that

Idk, maybe its not, I just can't find enough information yet on it for me to think it's legitimate. Guilty until proven innocent.

My man. EMT is my plan too.

Or you could not go gentle into that good night and write the true patrician pieces you want to.

alot of these classes that end in studies have marxist undertones at the very least