What is your absolute favorite book, Veeky Forums?

What is your absolute favorite book, Veeky Forums?

It's a secret, OP.

I don't think I have ever really liked a novel. If I had to choose it would be Salammbo by Flaubert due to the language, but I still don't like most of it.

Baudolino is sitting on my bookshelf and I am fairly anxious to read it. Did you like it all that much, OP?

Yes it's the best book ever. A real adventure.

Glad to hear it. I'll enjoy the hell out of this book someday.

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. I just love it so damn much.

This is fun, but I liked The Prague Cemetery more.

Just purchased thanks to your recommendation, OP.

My favorite book at the moment is The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.

because some of the humans on Dosadi would fuck a Gowachin frog-alien to advance their careers.

Mein nigger

Siddhartha tbqhf

that looks real stupid

is it actually good? dune was ok

my personal top 100

I don't read enough to have a favorite book

GR

Quite possibly A Portrait of The Artist as a Young Man, although I am not certain.

Invisible Cities.

It would be hard choice between the brothers Karamazov and Moby Dick.

Nothing else did just that for me. Maybe if all of Dubliners was like The Dead, but that wouldn't work. And War and Peace came close.

Baudolino is FUN

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

It's just perfect.

will pirate, thanks

Mein neger

Not a single book, but i always loved the commonwealth saga by peter hamilton. It was fun scifi without being pulpy or overly depressing

I always used to reread the boy and his horse, prince caspian and the dawn treader in a row and just stop. Treader was the most enjoyably of the Narnia books.

Have fun, the main character is literally /pol/

>1942
no thanks grandpa

Between Heart of Darkness or Youth by Conrad - or Anna Karenina

non-fic: Empire by Niall Furgeson

Baudolino is actually one of the best Eco.
It has this great premise of history told by a liar.

Prague Cemetery has the same premise and is not that good, tho

wtf I hate now

Darkness at Noon DESU

As silly as it might sound, I never go on a trip without this book. Very short, can be read in something like 2 hours, gets me everytime. Must have read it at least 30 times (no kidding).

Housekeeping desu, wasn't expecting much when I started it but I was blown away

Why not War and Peace? Haven't you read it?

It is like Dune but weirder, shorter and less thought out.

Definitely the Iliad.

So far this is it. It isn't profound or anything. It was just so perfect for me at the time. From begining to end :)

i'm gonna go with the divine comedy

It was The Recognitions, but Veeky Forums has been memeing it a lot recently.
Might need to pretend it's shit to save face.

GOAT
O
A
T

Who here's read it?

>empire by furgeson

Britfag I take it?

Tell me about it user. I've checked it on goodreads but that's it.

It's a fictional memoir written by a farmer/fisherman on the island of Guernsey named Ebenezer Le Page. The period is rougly 1890s-1970s. It documents the history of the island in that period (WW1, Spanish Flu, occupation during WW2, the rise of the tourist industry after the war, etc, etc.), as well as Ebenezer's personal life, family drama, etc. As time goes on the island changes but he stays the same, suffering the fate of all old people I suppose (not to say that its a bleak novel)

I'm not sure how to convince you to read it, but it's written in such a convincing voice that it's hard to believe its fictional. William Golding said that reading this book feels not like reading but like living, and he's totally right. Ebenezer is a grouchy old curmugeon but he's also a sweet and honest witness to what life is like. I'm rambling and I have to leave for work in like 2 minutes. Trust me, read it.

Sounds like a cozy read to me. Added it to the list.

>Added it to the list.

Same.

That's a pretty cover

It definitely is. It's such a shame that it's the only thing G.B. Edwards ever wrote. It was planned to be part of a trilogy of fictional memoirs but various people on the island, but he died when he was drafting early sections of the second part.

which was your favorite?

Honestly the best Russian novel of all time

What desu senpai

I love Bely's poetry though I never read this. I tried once but it seemed sort of impenetrable.

The Black Dhalia

Petersburg by Andrei Bely

It's not impenetrable at all, especially after you've read some of the other major Russian authors. I recommend the Penguin Classics edition because it's the full version of the book and has some very helpful end notes. If you stick with it after the first 50 pages you'll have one of the most rewarding reading experiences ever.

what's good about it user? genuine question, i have it on my shelf and have been meaning to get around to it

It's about a brother and sister who are into each other. But I don't know. Everything, I guess. It's hard to describe except to say that it's beautiful. It's pure art in the language. It feels like it's written in color, and everything else, even other Nabokov novels, are black and white. It doesn't pretend the meaning matters either, or tangible significance doesn't seem to be the goal. It's playful and deeply emotional and seems to be a practical example of the "look at the harlequins" philosophy of inventing reality.