How the fuck do ships float? It just boggles my mind that a mountain of metal can stay above water...

How the fuck do ships float? It just boggles my mind that a mountain of metal can stay above water. And like how can they have pools on ships? You drill a hole in a boat, fill it with water and the boat still floats? WTF

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kosmonavt_Yuri_Gagarin
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Density
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Pressure has to balance out from the water that it displaces. It balances out before its fully submerged. Its that simple. Same for the pool. It has weight but its still less that the bouyant counterpressure.

Ok, thanks buddy!

Water is heavy
Metal is heavy also, but the hollow shape pushes aside it's weight in water. This is called displacement.

The swimming pools are relatively small compared to the ship. It's like a thimble full of water on a toy boat.

>How the fuck do ships float?

The volume of water that ships displace is more than the ship weighs.

You fucking moron.

Whatever has the least density floats to the top. A shop has in total less density than water. So it floats.

How come niggers don't float, then?

They're malnourished. Fat people float easier than thin or muscular people.

Niggers are known to be quite dense.

The ocean weights more than the ship you fucking moran.

There, a ship made of concrete. I hope you're mad.

>The ocean weights more than the ship you fucking moran.

The ship only displaces the water that it's hull displaces.

It doesn't need to displace the whole ocean to float, in the same way that the earth isn't flat, you ignorant muslim.

>There, a ship made of concrete. I hope you're mad.

Then why did liberty ships float?

Why do hot air balloons float, when they weight more than air, you fucking moron?

The whole ocean is displaced you cuck. There is no boundary.
What the shipping industry don`t tell you is that all heavy ships eventually sink or fall over.

> being this mad at random people on the internet

There are better ways to gather attention. Why don't you put a dildo in your ass and post the results on /b ?

Pic related service life is nearly over. You can defy the laws of physics for so long. Gravity will eventually sink these heavy fuckers.

Weeeeeeee Veeky Forums related shippy.

do you have any pool in your home? sheesh even a kid age like 5 knows how a ship floats, it's not physics shit, it's common sense, "EUREKA" remember who the fuck said that

Less visceral fat.

because they don't know how to swim moron, now if you're a retard le racist, then they're stupid ass nigga

That is a very happy looking science ship. Why's she in such a good mood?

Space exploration?

who hurt you user?

its a research ship named after a cosmonaut

I don't like to read comments where punctuation is replaced by insults. Not that I take it personnally, but it's uselessly agressive and rude.

because they weigh less than a duck

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kosmonavt_Yuri_Gagarin

>devoted to detecting and receiving satellite communications.

yes

>Unnecessary rudeness

There's no need for that.

Water is heavy as FUCK. As long as the ship weighs less than the water it displaces (see thousands of fucktons) it stays on top of the water. When considering the bouyancy of say, an aircraft carrier, you arent looking at the density of the steel its made of, you are looking at the density of the ENTIRE structure, which is mostly air inside the hull. The swimming pool question is straight up retarded. Its like asking why a log wont sink when you set a cup of water on top of it.

Get raped and die degenerate

>Its like asking why a log wont sink when you set a cup of water on top of it.
well why won't it?

cuz cup of water will weight exactly as much, as the volume of water it displaces. so it doesn't really add anything you dumb fuck.

What if it's salt water

Because the weight of the water in the cup is less than the weight of the log subtracted from the weight of the water it displaces. It doesnt matter what you put on top of a bouyant vessel, as long as it is less than the weight of the water said vessel displaces. Its not like the laws of physics apply differently to a swimming pool than they do to a shipping container. Weight is weight.

>canttelliftrollingorjuststupid.jpg

It's weird but it is all about pressure and density.

what if the log is floating in quicksilver? what if the cup is made from uranium? what if the log is made from lithium? what if all of this is existing in the universe, where the atomic weigth of elements is different from ours? what if "salt water" is a jargon for "liquid lawrencium"? what if "what if" means "i'm a dumb fuck"? what if Veeky Forums isn't existing?

They got turbine underneath propelling the ship upward, otherwise it'd sink.

Don't believe round-earthist in the tread with their magoc science of gravity and whatever tricks by which water pushes stuffs

Eyyy ol' Billy Bitchface, what's up you red headed cunt.

The ship is less heavy than the equal volume of water.

The ship floats on top of the water like a balloon filled with helium floats upwards in air.

Search Archimedes' principle

How can frozen solid water float on water, it's all fucking water.

So if I place a 50 ton ship in 49 tons of water the ship will sink?

threads like this reassure me that my job as an engineer is not in any danger.

keep being retarded you glorious plebs

Depends on the geometry of the container holding the water. If the shape is absolutely perfect to accommodate the water as close to the hull as possible, the ship will rest one ton of its weight on the bottom. If it's a very wide and shallow container, you can have all of the weight of the ship on the bottom.

It`s jobs like yours that can`t explain jet fuel melting steel.
Enjoy designing things by trial and error and stabs in the dark.

>not realizing you ironically proved the other guys point.

this thread is a gift that keeps on giving.

perfect answer fot his post.

Frozen water is less dense than liquid water

If frozen water is less dense than liquid water, then how did an iceberg tear the steel hull of the Titanic.
Check and mate my clever brainlet.

Ice floats... if not their would be no life on earth.

>how did an iceberg tear the steel hull of the Titanic.
Probably because ice's crystal structure gives it high compression strength

Interesting question though.

why arent humans using the ability to raise an object of monstrous size through the tide to generate electricity?

Explain

But the hull is not airtight like a balloon.
And air is not lighter than air.

Oceans would freeze and all life in the ocean would die every winter. Billions of years ago, when life was only in the water, that would have stopped everything.

I think you mean every ice age. For the oceans to freeze every winter you would have to see ice floating around the equator which never happens.

The hull would only have to be airtight if you would push it underwater to watch it float upwards again like a balloon.

A liter of helium is lighter than a liter of regular air (which is a mix of heavier gases). Both take up a dm^3 of space, but one doesn't weigh as much as the other.

Freezing of all the oceans water has never happened even through ice ages.

Could u not get a heavy object with turbines on it and sink it to the ocean floor and lift it with air tanks over and over creating electricity? Would this require too much energy in to be viable?

But there is no air pushing up the ship, the hull is not airtight. The air in the hull is not lighter than the air above it.
Ships are not enclosed like balloons or submarines.

The water is pushing up the ship. The ship is watertight, at least while floating on the surface.

Water is many times denser/heavier than air, water`s force is downwards not up.

Air bubbles in water get pushed upwards. Similarly a ship that weighs less than water gets pushed upwards in water as well.

I once asked this very same question to the captain of a large cruise liner. The answer was nobody knows. It is believed in old seafaring legend that it is the collective human belief system that make ships float. If enough people started to believe they can't float, every ship right now would sink.

Dumbass it's not just water displacement but also surface cohesion. This is why flys can walk on water (cohesion) but not walk on soapy water. Haven't you ever tried to get rid of fruit flies user?

>a ship that weighs less than water
Brainlet. What do you think we make our ships out of... Metalized Hydrogen? The quality of Veeky Forums has really gone down the shitter these days.

How are you causing it to sink, by constricting the air bubble like a fish's air bladder? That would take energy. Are you just pushing it to the bottom and then letting it rise? That would take energy.

Incorrect. Steel is denser than water, and ergo sinks. It involves displacing enough water and making enough contact with the surface to capitalize on surface tension and the cohesion of water molecules. There's an experiment you can try where you can take a flat piece of tinfoil and float it on a bowl of water. Then carefully begin stack pennies on top of it and be amazed how it doesn't sink. Surface tension and cohesion times the displacement of water.

Get fucked.

Hot air balloons are full of hot air, and much like the convection currents of water in the ocean, or air in your room on a cold winter day, fluid elements or fluid compounds of the same density will separate based on their temperature and internal systemic energy; the hot fluid rises the cold fluid sinks. Daily reminder air is a fluid.

Water displacement

Rocks displace water, too. Rocks don't float.

Science: 0
God: 1

See my post here

rocks with a density of less than 62.4 pounds per cubic foot do float.

a boat is mostly air
it doesnt matter that its open at the top its still filled with air
>you drill a hole in a boat fill it with water and it still floats
no

>pounds per cubic foot
wtf is wrong with you americans?

The ship is made of metal.
Metal is hardcore.
Water is afraid of it.

>Incorrect. Steel is denser than water, and ergo sinks.

Ships aren't solid steel. The hull is made of steel, but enclosed by it is mostly air.

grams per cc, kg/m^3 whatever units you want man, conversions are childs play.

SI would be kg/m[math]^3[/math]. But g/mL is more commonly used. Water has a density of 1.00000 g/mL at 4 °C.

The volume of the ship weighs less than the same volume of water, how is that so hard to understand.

> the volume weights

> how is that so hard to understand

Well maybe if you weren't making up bullshit concepts such as the weight of a volume, it would be easier

>making up bullshit concepts
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Density

Same guy you (you)d here, did you read my posts? I said it has to do with the amount of water it displaces and surface tension which has a cohesive property between water molecules. It literally does not have to do with density.

If ships relied on surface tension, they would sink the moment they start moving at a reasonable speed.

Ships rely upon the buoyant force to float, which is equal to the weight of the volume of water displaced by the vessel. An object whose average density is less than the density of water will then float, because it will not sink once the buoyant force cancels the weight of the ship. You can experiment with this with ice in a glass of water.

>the amount of water it displaces
We are talking about the same thing here genius, you just didn't understand how it works

>surface tension
Neglectable in this case

> The density, or more precisely, the volumetric mass density, of a substance
> of a substance

Sorry I didn't know about the ship substance. I guess I'll have to go back to school.

underrated

does this float georgie

You know that 'substance' doesn't just refer to fluids right? A substance is anything that has a mass and takes up space.

Lets use some examples, maybe you will get it then user.
Let's imagine a block of water, one cubic meter in volume and it weighs one ton.
Now imagine a box with thin steel walls, also one cubic meter in volume and there is a vacuum inside. It weighs 100 kg in total.

This steel box will float because it has a lower mass than the same volume of water.

Now fill the steel box with air, now it weighs 103 kg. Still mass than a ton, floats.
Now fill half of it with water and half of it with air, 600 kg. Still floats.
Now fill all of it with water, 1100 kg. It weighs more than just water, it sinks down to the sea floor.

I'm sorry, but my question is : fulfill the the concept of density of a boat with as much water as it can hold. Will the boat sink or not ?

So the magnetic floating ball isn't touching the wood at t_0?
I think the wood container rises, pulling the ball up after a time, until a point where the buoyant force plus magnetic force is equal to g(m_wood+m_ball)

Not sure if I am understanding that sentence correctly.
Whether a boat filled with water will sink depends on the material it is made of.

A wooden boat with no cargo will NOT sink to the ground even when filled with water, because wood itself is less dense than water. And if you fill the boat with water, than the total mass of the boat will still be less than that of just water.

A boat made of metal will sink. Because most common metals used in ship building are more dense than water.

>tfw the oceanic crust is floating
>tfw the continental ones are too

magnets

They just spray the hull with water repellant, duh brainlet

It's made of magic metal and it's really expensive, only ship builders are allowed to use it.

If it's being repulsed by the magnet on the seafloor then the objects will just hover at a fixed distance above it. Not sure about it's contact with the wood container, I suspect it would bounce around randomly.

Step aside plebs

how does it fly

magnets

or maybe it is less dense than space