Cakes, all things cake

Chocolate torte is objectively the best cake ever conceived. Period

That being said, what types of cake do you enjoy Veeky Forums ?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_chocolate_cake
southernliving.com/desserts/cakes/layered-chocolate-cake-recipe-video
saveur.com/smith-island-cake-recipe
youtube.com/watch?v=OQVnRe3DtDc
youtube.com/watch?v=7hCxm1hZgUQ
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Forest_gateau
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dobos_torte
saveur.com/how-smith-island-cake-got-its-stripes
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

cheese
carrot

I like red velvet, which is technically chocolate but I like that it's red. I find it visually stimulating.

I'm tired of chocolate in cake.

I go to local bakeries, and 80% of the cakes on display are chocolate cakes (I'm not talking about chocolate sprinkles or decorative pieces on the outside -- that would make it 100%).

black forest for the supreme balance of flavours
chocolate cakes are usually too monotonous for me

hahaah im such a CHOC-aholic teehee like my facebook please @momstalk123

>torte
Piefkes dont know about our Konditoreien

I like me some Prague cake.
I really want to try sachertorte sometime.

So...you don't like chocolate?

thread/

Double chocolate muffins.

My mother has a recipe for them she dug out of a cookbook older than I am. Simple to make with a mixer, and delicious. Just gotta add cocoa powder and chocolate chips to the mixture before baking.
And I know muffins aren't a 'cake', but the recipe IS a cake recipe, just put into muffin cases instead, to save fucking about with slicing anything.

Who /angelfoodcake/ here?

good chocolate cake is wonderful, however, I have had

How can anyone eat that much sugar and not die? Actual cake aside, there is literally 4 layers of sugar paste on there that offers practically nothing to the taste except an overpowering burst of sugar. Any taste the paste once had is washed out by a sugar assault.

Is this why americans always have to have ice cream with their cake? Because as sweet as ice cream is, it still dilutes the deathly sweetness of that mortal pastry?

dobos torte from hungary might be the best cake i've ever had.
>tfw no hungarian gf anymore

>mortal pastry

kek

>torte
You mean pie?

When I make a cheap cake at home (pillsbury or such), I heat up the icing in the microwave and apply it to the cake with a basting brush. Just a thin film you'd never accomplish without it being melted. Perfect.

There is always at least 3/4 of the icing tub left over. The wife eats it. Ugh.

Torte literally means pie in my language so I guess its just a memeword to make food seem more extravagant in US

cream cheese frosting >>> butter cream >>>>>>>> chocolate frosting

A torte and a pie are completely different things in the us.

Where the fuck is ganache or whipped cream?
Also how do you feel about chocolate cream cheese frosting

>How can anyone eat that much sugar and not die?
By using real cane sugar instead of tastebud-killing HFCS.

>god tier
Tiramisu
>shit tier
Everything else

Casting and icing sugars are great for cakes.

ganache is shit, doesn't deserve to be on the list of foods. I haven't had it but I imagine it overpowers the cream cheese flavor?

>is shit
>never ate it
>still has opinion

No, I meant chocolate cream cheese not ganache. I've had plenty of ganache and it's a decoration not a food. As for whipped cream, I eat homemade mostly and it's best on pies idk about cake.

except that cake is of german origin you elitist faggot

raw, vegan "cheese"cake

> Its roots can be traced back to 1852 when American Samuel German developed a type of dark baking chocolate for the American Baker's Chocolate Company. ... On June 3, 1957, a recipe for "German's Chocolate Cake" appeared as the "Recipe of the Day" in the The Dallas Morning News

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_chocolate_cake

Protip: that cake isn't this cake, or what you think it is.

a chocolate ganache is literally just melted chocolate with cream though? maybe youre thinking of fondant, which is primarily used as decoration and doesnt taste very good on its own

Cream and butter, commonly vanilla as well.

a ganache is literally just chocolate and cream. butter and vanilla are added for flavor and to make it look better, same with salt. but at its core a ganache is just chocolate and cream

How do Japs grow blackberries that big?

Vegan Chocolate Ganache

>1/8 cup raw coconut butter
>1 tablespoon raw coconut oil
>¼ cup raw cacao powder
>¼ cup agave syrup
>Pinch Himalaya salt

> melt coconut oil and butter in a 40°C warm water bath, add cacao, sweetener and salt
>mix well
>put in a rectangular cake tin lined with parchment paper
> refrigerate
>cut the chocolate in small pieces

selective breeding, only using the best and most perfect fruits too.

some cultivated ones are that big only wild or raditional kinds are small

pic is from an european blog

traditional

... and pizza is from Italy, tacos are from Mexico, dog fried rice is from china, but have you seen the shit americans do to it? Cake is no exception.

Could also be the buttermilk and vinegar that traditionally go in it, the acid makes the cake lighter

Do lemon bars count as a cake? I made these the other day, haven't had one in a decade or so. Came out great--the simplicity and lightness of it is something I need to find more of.

I like chocolate cake every now and then but it always feels so boring.

What part of your rant makes it less delicious?

Shortbread is kinda like cake, those look good.

German chocolate bitch

That does look divine

Awesome

the cream isn't generally very sweet though
I don't know, maybe the schwarzwald in the picture is a shit example but the ones I eat IRL never seem too sweet, and I hate it when things are too sweet
eurofag here btw

They're olallieberry, that's why.

I'd like to try bologna cake

For me It is the salami pizza cake.

Almost everything about that cake is lovely except that disgusting red crap on it YUCK!!

>he's not a kirsch eater

Non-white detected.

Guddamn. That is a perfect looking cake.
10/10 would devour.
>kirsch filling
>disgusting red crap
This thread is not a comfy place for you, friend.

I would legit try this.

I'm a big fan of Mille-crepe's. Love the smooth texture.

Lemon bar guy here again! Today I baked a Jamaican sweet potato pudding. Had tried this recipe before with orange sweet potatoes and failed miserably. This time I found the white flesh sweet potato at my local market, and used a recipe that called for cornmeal. Maybe my own Mixed Spice to use in it too.

Very hearty and delicious. Does this count as cake?

Not the best slicing in the world but here's an example of how it holds together. No eggs used so the consistency is pretty different from traditional cake.

Had about 3/4 cup leftover raisins soaked in rum from the pudding so I also attempted Coconut Rock Cakes, which came out rather biscuity but light. Half a cup of shredded coconut in this one with the raisins. I'm told it should be baked much harder, to literally be like a rock, but I'm plenty happy with how they turned out.

Really good to pair with a coffee.

I grew up eating the Little Layer Chocolate Cake (I didn't even know it had an official name until MUCH later) which calls for nearly pancake-like thin layers (at least 10+ of them) and a boiled chocolate icing which is then poured on very loosely, but when it cools it hardens into a crunchy chocolate candy shell which I've never seen replicated in any other recipe:
southernliving.com/desserts/cakes/layered-chocolate-cake-recipe-video
The whole baking and stacking process is a real labor of love, and you really only see the elderly making it anymore for family reunions/parties and church potlucks.

I only recently found out that it is extremely similar to another cake recipe originating in the North called the Smith Island Cake, but was probably developed independently of it.
saveur.com/smith-island-cake-recipe

Neat.

Breddy gud senpai.

Wow, those look amazing. I think I'm gonna add that onto my list of cakes to bake. What would be the easiest way to do it though, disposable pans or baking in shifts? I only have like one of each size cake pan.

Thanks! Since I have all these orange sweet potatoes left over I'm gonna attempt a sweet potato dinner roll tomorrow as one way to use them up.

Here's the dough rising!

I have also seen this called a doberge cake (pronounced "dough-bash" by my coon-ass relatives in New Orleans).

We get them from Gambino's Bakery - whose website seems to be down at the moment, or else I would link you to it.

Generally it looks like >pic related.

I moved away, and I grew up eating these as a Christmas tradition and I miss it.

Should have made sweet potato tart with a spiced brown sugar glaze. Would have been nice. Maybe next time.

Don't worry, I still have like 6 more potatoes to use up. Thanks for the idea--do you have a recipe you could link?

You'd have to cook each layer separately or you'd wind up with a mound of raw dough and a burnt top.

>What would be the easiest way to do it though, disposable pans or baking in shifts? I only have like one of each size cake pan.
My great-aunts, when they made it, would commit an entire afternoon baking 2-3 layers at a time in shifts. They'd literally have all of the counters covered in thin cake layers cooling while working on the icing at the stove. That all said, there's a video in the top recipe link I provided where they recommended using disposal tin pans to be the best choice instead.

I'm sure someone is going to say just use a standard height cake pan and then slice each thick layer in thirds like how they make the 24-layer Steakhouse Cake:
youtube.com/watch?v=OQVnRe3DtDc
However, I think part of the reason they did it that way was to ensure consistent even-ness of layers (it's a pretty tall cake as is so stability and balance are paramount), as well as having each layer exposed to heat creating more caramelization of the exposed flour/sugar.

Fascinating. Thanks.

Also found this:
youtube.com/watch?v=7hCxm1hZgUQ

No, I just thought of it. Blind bake a traditional tart shell, let it cool. Boil, skin, mash and cool the sweet potatoes add butter, salt, eggs, vanilla extract and milk (or cream) to make custard. Bake, cool.

For the glaze I suppose it would have to be a spiced caramel glaze, brown sugar would probably work best, with nutmeg, cinnamon, butter, salt and an alcohol of some type, nut based...amaretto would best suit this flavor profile.

Put all of that in a sauce pan and cook until dark brown caramel. Cool until room temperature then pour over the tart filling. You'll have to figure the measurements out for yourself. Standard sweet potato custard recipe should suffice, tweek to personal tastes.

Before the relocated (maybe because of katrina?) they used layers that were HALF THAT THICKNESS.

I don't know what happened... The doberge of my childhood was much better. Maybe they offer different numbers of layers now..

pic rel - the thickness of the layers is correct from my childhood, but the cake would have been twice as tall.

I've recreated it at home, but its a real pain in the ass.

Not that user, but

Black Forest gâteau (British English) and Black Forest cake (American English) are the English names for the German dessert Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte (pronounced [ˈʃvaʁt͡svɛldɐ ˈkJʁʃˌtɔʁtə]), literally "Black Forest cherry-torte", where it originated.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Forest_gateau

Don't disrespect the undisputed king of cakes or dare to call it an American invention. Nigger.

2 different cakes, Hans.

>gâteau
>British English

Nobody was talking about German Chocolate Cake. Original post was about Black Forest Cake, the replies to that were about Black Forest Cake, which is, in fact, of German origin. Why the fuck would you then link to the wikipedia page for German Chocolate Cake and act like that has any relevancy whatsoever to the origins of Black Forest Cake?

This is a great article which seems to imply that both the Smith Island Cake of Maryland, and the Doberge & Little Layer Cakes of the South all traced their roots back through the same pedigree to a 19th century cake in Hungary called the Dobos torte. It was traditionally coated on the outside in a caramel glaze which nuts not only to add flavor but to seal the cake and prevent it from going stale in the absence of refrigeration in those days.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dobos_torte
saveur.com/how-smith-island-cake-got-its-stripes
>József Dobos, a dapper, mustachioed gourmet-about-Pest, introduced his confection in 1885. It was constructed from layers of sponge cake, insulated by cocoa buttercream and sealed with a crown of caramel, which helped keep the cake moist and increased its shelf life. With refrigeration rare, most pastry went stale within a day; the Dobos torte lasted ten. Dobos wowed the Austro-Hungarian Empire, he shipped his cake across Europe, and, in 1906, he released his secret recipe, hoping it would spread.

>I've learned that in the 1930s, in New Orleans, Dobos was reformatted as “doberge.” It left its telltale stripes, many believe, in the “little layer cakes” of Georgia and Alabama, and the “seven-layer cakes” of South Carolina. Could it also have been the blueprint for Smith Island Cake?

>Caroline Ragsdale, owner of Caroline's Cakes in Annapolis, producer of the Dobos documentary A Cakewalk in Budapest, and something of a József Dobos fangirl, swears the answer is yes. “If I had to put my life savings on it, I'd say that Smith Island Cake came from the Dobos torte,” Ragsdale told me before I went to Smith Island. “It's the great-grandfather of all multilayered cakes.”

2 different cakes, Erich.

The one you're referencing it's forest-nigger cherry cake. There's a reason Bavarians aren't considered German.

Well I tried to go too high for my first time, this was 17 layers and tilty as FUCK.

Also boiled the icing over and started a small fire! So that was fun, and also a sad ending because I just didn't have enough for a LIBERAL application down the sides.

Super fun to make though, rotating 4 cake pans in the oven while removing cake, making layers, and reapplying dough into the other 4 pans was crazy. If I did it again I think I'd just set the cakes all to the side and let them cool, rather than trying to add them all onto the cake stand at once.

Oh I'd also, you know, make sure the damn thing was straight up and down, or I'd just trim the sides of the cake off to make it flat.

pls no bully

good carrot cake recipe? Looking for something not terribly sweet. Maybe with separated eggs to make it lighter?

the fuck is coconut butter?

Layered cakes are the best
Here is an Indonesian version

Reporting back in, I fell asleep letting the dough rise and totally killed that batch. Remade it this morning and just finished the bake.

At least they aren't as fucking ludicrous to look at as my cake.

This tbqh

Honestly, that's a pretty good job for a first try! Now cut into her and give us a cross-section money shot of the layers.
How's the icing texture after it set? Also how's it taste?
I roll my eyes at people that say baking, compared to cooking, is all science and no art/skill don't know what they're talking about.

Hey, thanks! I'll update with a cross section in an hour or so when my sister gets home and I take a piece off of it.

The icing texture actually set pretty well--I was having a rough time getting the temp up to soft ball without the entire pot boiling over, so I ended up not quite hitting that point. However, it's firming up real nice just past the consistency of a fudge I'd say. The icing itself tastes pretty good but you can definitely taste how I burned it. Lesson learned, at least my sis and I like burned things. We'll see how it combines with the flavor of the cake later.

I'd say baking is both more science AND art/skill than cooking, and I like to do both.

Beer and raisin spice cake.

>money shot
God knows how you even know what that phrase means you fucking retard weeaboo.
>tl;dr Fuck off weeb.

that's not frosting, black forest cake is made with whipped cream.

Update! It tasted better than I expected, she agreed. Little burned aftertaste but decent. Not very sweet on the icing but that's a major plus to me. First time having a layer cake, I really like the thin spread between each piece, kept it super "light" to me.

Here's the money shot!

Nice layer striping. One of the neat things about it is that with so many thin layers of icing and cake, it sort of melds into one flavor where you can no longer tell where the icing ends and the cake begins even with the contrasting textures. Glad it turned out better than originally described.

I appreciate that, and fully agree--the texture and flavor combo is something else. I'll be attempting this cake again, but maybe trying a different recipe and definitely watching my icing more.