War and peace translations

p+v or maude?

Other urls found in this thread:

commentarymagazine.com/articles/the-pevearsion-of-russian-literature/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

P&V for Tolstoy.

any particular reason(s) why, or is it just 'simply better'?

Maude approves this.

Maude worked closely with Tolstoy and had regarded P&V as the best English translators of Tolstoy's work.

We've had a million threads about it.
P&V are bad for Dostoyevsky but fine for Tolstoy.
Being old and out of touch, they accidentally dropped some sexual innuendo in Anna Karenina, but the actual translation is fine

>commentarymagazine.com/articles/the-pevearsion-of-russian-literature/

I'd stay away from then if I were you. Apparently she just translates the work word by word into English, making sure every word is as correct as they can be, and then he goes and brings the things together so they flow better. That and huge amount of content they've outpoured in not as much time, makes me doubt that they truly understand what they're translating.

maudes worked with tolstoy, who himself was a polyglot

maudes

All the people that bitch about P&V are stuck up queers in academia that have their head firmly stuck up their ass.

P&V are praised by academia for being literalists, newfag.

Sorry, I posted false post.

Maudes. Hands down.

Maude. Source: own both translations and reading Oxford edition now.

Honest question. Are the russian translations by P&V really so different from others that a layman, non-academic reader like me would really be able to tell the difference?

Yes.
go to a bookstore and read them side by side.

For a paragraph or two? Probably not. but read two or three chapters of each in one sitting. Your eyes will start to glaze over with P&V and you will only have the rough meaning of what was said. It's a bit like reading a legal document with Russian names, whereas the other translations are like reading a great English novel with Russian names.

Magarshack

Neither.

Either Megashark or Constance "Waifu" Garnett

P&V get Tolstoy's style down the best.

Lol p and v have shit out so many travslations, they're like a translation mill. There's no fucking WAY those are good translations.

THIS!

shark didnt translate wp you faggots

does anyone like rosemary edmunds

MAUDE

>posting the commentary jew