How do you cope with foreign lecturers with thick accents?

How do you cope with foreign lecturers with thick accents?

I literally can't understand a single word he says.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nkQ7lwEWeGA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I read the material instead of listen to it.

>relying on a professor's adequacy in communicating their subject to pass
>posting on Veeky Forums

Read the fucking book.

Had the same problem and decided to just read a fucking 1000 page book instead of trying to decipher her retarded accent. It was much, much easier.

Some PhDs should be shot, working your ass off to write a shitty dissertation and pass some exams isn't something that entitles you to have a shitty, indecipherable accent. It doesn't entitle you to be a fucking unlikeable retard who doesn't know how to socialize and speak. If people like Turing, Einstein, Feynman, Grothendieck, Euler, Euclid, Archimedes, etc shared their knowledge and were mostly likeable, funny, adapted persons then a random PhD bitch who teaches has no excuse. Didn't Euler go to fucking Russia, had 2 different wives, 15 children and was respected by royal families? That's surely a sign that he knew how to adapt, socialize and communicate. Surely it would've been impossible to become liked and respected by inbred, royal fucks if he had a thick, retard accent.

There are accent courses available for free on the internet. Fucking adapt and learn to communicate you dumb foreigner. God fucking damn it.

>teach people about 3rd year CS theoretical math shit
>be from Russia
>translate everything word-for-word, don't give a shit about grammar, use Russian grammar with English words
>thick accent
>shitty powerpoint slides
>*autist mumble* *slides show a complicated 2d matrix filled with nonsensical notation that doesn't communicate anything, symbols aren't explained, nothing is* *retard mumble, everyone looks at lecturer scared* zo dis iz wy de rowz an ze column ze give ze formula very eezy *no explanation* next zlide.

ITT: Brainlets who have no exposure to any accents outside USA.

>lecturers can't understand me because of my thick accent

this is worse

i agree with you that people should work on their language if it isn't understandable

though i haven't really had issues with understanding anybody including that russian lecturer you described, i've had all kinds of lecturers it's not that hard to undersand

maybe i'm not as brainlet as some other people

I can understand you just fine

>user is a stinky foreigner

amusedanimeloli.png

Can you give link to one of the accent courses? Pls no bully

Sure, here's a very good one.

youtube.com/watch?v=nkQ7lwEWeGA

Thanks, i ll work on my accent. Pls don h8, ima good immigrant

It's not even about that, it's about learning how to communicate if you don't want to be the annoying fag with the ugly accent that can't get himself understood every time he opens his mouth.

>huh?
>what did you say?
>can you repeat yourself, please?
>I didn't quite get that
>mhm?
>sorry, what?

Imagine how much of a brainlet you have to be in order to spend so much time in a country, to speak with so many people so that you can get your PhD and in the end you still haven't improved your accent or English at all. It just doesn't make sense. It's one of those brainlet things, like smoking or fucking prostitutes without a condom and kissing them.

who said i was talking about english paco

:')

People say those words to me everytime... :( but it's more like singing, you have to spend special time on it to get better. Just doing karaoke wont improve your singing. And it is 10 times worse when you re a robot.

I'm not a native speaker as well, so I guess it's easier for me to understand foreign accents. Usually I never have a problem with them, the only exception are Asian accents. Whenever some Chinese guy presents something all I understand is "Yawoo wooah moo whee hawoo mooaa hawee!", it's just super weird to me. Fortunately those people are usually very much aware of that and pack their slides with full sentences, so in case I am actually interested in whatever the dude is trying to talk about, I can just read about it on the slides. I guess I'm just lacking the ear for the kind of distortions Asian people usually apply to English.

I find that I can learn the speaker's accent within a couple of lectures at worst. Only ever heard underachieving brainlets complain about accents, and mainly as an excuse for being shit in the course.

The only real issue comes when the lecturer's pure english ability is too low. Then they fail to communicate the material because they don't know enough words or use grammar properly. It's still not a REAL problem because you can learn it from other sources usually but still

I just don't understand how some guy can teach in a foreign country for over a decade and still not be able to speak its language, it really should be one of their priorities if they want to be taken seriously.

>horrible English when speaking
>flawless, eloquent English in lecture notes and emails

>I just don't understand how some guy can teach in a foreign country for over a decade and still not be able to speak its language, it really should be one of their priorities if they want to be taken seriously.
brainlets who worked their ass off and compensated with time for their stupidity or maybe they were pure autists, like Ted Kaczynski (who was known to have been a shit professor)

where's your lecturer from? what i do is i learn the alphabet of the country they're from and find the sounds they would have trouble pronouncing, then learn which sounds these are. its easier than it sounds. you aren't a brainlet who can't learn a simple alphabet and new sounds are you?

Don't worry m8, people are pretty patient with you if you're learning English or have a thick accent. Don't think of it as people talking down to you; they just want to be sure they understand what you're saying. As long as you show you're making an effort to learn it will be greatly appreciated. It's also a respect thing. I believe that at least attempting to learn a language shows you will respect the culture of whatever country you're going to be in. As an American, I've been learning Spanish for 6 years because I plan on possibly living in Spain or South America some day. If I moved there and only spoke English while refusing to imprive my Spanish (even if most of the people were familiar with English), I would consider that disrespectful toward the people of that country.

Lecturer 1:
>Chinese dude, THICK ACCENT
>da unit vector pererricular
>box a sleep (slip) with box b
>says imagine and image the same way as IMAYGEE
>pounces gamma solely as the sound of choking on your tongue
>great prof
>makes a huge effort to help after the lecture with even the dumbest shit
>never wastes time on retarded redundant shit

Lecturer 2:
>old white dude
>lecture is literally him copying his notes that he already uploads the whole years worth online
>always redirects his office hours to a shitty T.A.
>uses a document camera and commonly doesn't notice that no one can see what he's writing because the camera is not pointing at the paper

Honestly accents aren't that bad if they're using a mic. I find the lecturers teaching and personal skills much more telling of being a good teacher. Though one big thing I found was guys with bad accents who don't use mics are IMPOSSIBLE to understand.

Also don't take this as meaning all foreign profs are amazing.

For example:

Lecturer 3:
>Korean dude with thick accent
>deaf in one ear at 30
>one day mic starts giving crazy feedback sounds
>prof doesn't notice because hearing
>random group from lecture before completely distracting the class by looking for some lost bag or some shit at the front
>mic falls out of profs pocket and starts dragging on the ground, making the already horrid sounds worse
>look around at the 300 person lecture hall has only 15 or so people left from the 100 person enrollment at the beginning of the seimester

i usually complain of sexual harassment and get them fired