Describe the moment when you gave up on your scientific career

Describe the moment when you gave up on your scientific career

Other urls found in this thread:

kittysjones.wordpress.com/2013/10/30/4494/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

When I realized the aether was real and it all becomes philosophy anyway

When I realised I liked animation more than anything and that I was studying math just because it seems like the right thing to do. I told myself I study math because I'm fascinated but in reality if math wasn't an elite field I wouldn't be studying it.

I had that idea that there was groups of people that were inferior or superior based on their interests. Kinda like how Veeky Forums thinks.

When I adopted nihlism, accepted humanity as doomed, and sold out to engineering so I can be a rich hermit and not a cuckslave to humanity

I KNEW I WASN'T THE ONLY ONE!!!!!

Nihilism isn't intellectual, for fucks sake:
>kittysjones.wordpress.com/2013/10/30/4494/

When I signed up for a degree in engineering

>my tenth year of grad school when one of my thesis committee members suggest I make something up

I never said it was intellectual
Nietschze said it would be the downfall of society ffs

But it's fucking correct

>intentionally stopping your thoughts to nihilism level

So true, same here.

However, engineering is the perfect application of science that no other career gets

How easier is engineering?

>believing in moral absolutes

KEK
this is a Veeky Forums discussion I won't pursue any further

PS nice shill article I'll be sure to vote Labour!

It's not that's a BS stereotype

The science you learn may be simplified theories but the shit you have to design would make a theoretician crap their pants

That said there's variability in what you're designing (a light switch or a particle accelerator) and there's also meme science fields

The stereotype that either science or engineering is "harder" than the other is faggotry perpetuated by autists, especially on Veeky Forums

But don't you believe that you believe in nothing?

When I found out that upper level mathematics means redefining every fucking notation set on the planet because everybody wants to be a special goddamn snowflake.
Discrete is the worst at this but people just decide WELL I DON'T CARE IF THAT GREEK LETTER IS USED EVERYWHERE, I'M REDEFINING IT HERE! NEENER NEENER!

When I started med school and realised I enjoyed it a lot more than I would have enjoyed my original plan of doing a Phd in biophysics

When I realized academia is a dogshit institution that's about inflating your status and ego first and knowledge second.

It's the institution that has less of that shit than any other one.

>projecting
>sole argument is a link to a blog
>blog says "nihilism is escaping from all that matters" when nihilists think nothing matters

If you dont mind, ill screencap this

>tenth year of grad school

well, at least you took the hint

>nihilism
literally pleb-tier. When will you embrace the absurd?

It's all yours, friend

o wow dood u got me lmao

drink bleach

Whats so hard to understand about this cucks

You can appreciate the goings-on while recognizing that they hold no inherent value, just the value relative to the person

As in, I recognize there's no point in existance but that's not a reason to not enjoy it.

>unironically calls people he disagrees with cucks
wew, I know I'm dealing with an intellectual heavyweight here

I don't believe in bleach, and neither should you.

The only reason you claim to be a nihilist is because you think it impresses people around you. Sadly, it only makes you sound like a 15 year old who just started reading pleb philosophers like Kierkegaard.

''Hello Professor X, can you tell me about the job options if I went into quantum chemistry?''
>One every 4 years, rest end up doing programming

>I'm telling you what you believe because I know more about you than you!

it doesn't matter.

>tfw switching from engineering to physics because I dislike engineering but loved modern physics
I can't shake the feeling that I'm doing something wrong

You'll probably end up intellectually richer than if you had gone into engineering, but likely poorer materially. It's up to user to decide which one is worth more.

I want to want to want. Then I did, but didn't. Almost died, Then came back to want to die again. Learned what didn't make sense. Lost all direction. Found that money

Are you an existential, moral, or epistemological nihilist?

did he died?

>not integrating the bell curve by hand
brainlet

>Thought I would come to my PhD and give up because so many do
>wasn't a dumbfuck that chose any old project, actually researched the job market for fields that would lead me to a career rather than joblessness, found a project that I think is fucking awesome + fits that criteria

Get good.

>not embracing the dionysiac

you want me to tell you how I know you dont know shit?

>Are you an existential, moral, or epistemological nihilist?
pretty much all the same thing

Not really. Epistemological nihilism for one is self-defeating, as you cannot hold true a position that you believe no truths. Moral and existential nihilism are not as paradoxical.

>I'm a nihilist!
>you're not
>YES I AM
>what kind
>it's all the same lmao :^)
kill yourself faggot edgelord

lol, I fucked that up. I meant to say that being epistemologically so contains the other two. Not sure why I typed it that way.

after my first gf. I realized chasing pussy, creampies, and the girl-drama is more satisfying to me. My IQ is below 140 so no big deal.

not me, but thanks for playing

All three I guess, except instead of the kind of existential nihilism where one believes nothing has meaning within the context of the universe, I just believe nothing has any intrinsic meaning whatsoever, doesn't matter how large or influential of fundamental it is.

Doesn't really matter anyway.

Veeky Forums would say absurdism is also pleb tier. But I wouldn't know. I'm retarded.

>Doesn't really matter anyway.
Is that your catchphrase?

It`s the catchphrase of any edgy high school kid ever

pls elaborate

when i didn't get into the program i wanted even though i knew i wasn't going to get in