This your page ever

Oh boy, here comes another inside joke.

what book is this?

SCHHOGLRISDAF ASDFNSDICBN FSEFF

youre page ever

>how to trigger STEMfags

Well now I want context.

it was going pretty good before it became incomprehensible

Where would it be incomprehensible? I think the whole point is that science subjectively tries to portray objective reality, and that's another sad paradox.

like what the heck does he mean by "Everything is ordered in such a way as to bring into being that poisoned peace produced by thoughtlessness, lack of heart, or fatal renunciations"
What's everything?
What's poisoned peace?
Whose thoughtlessness?
What renunciations? Why are they fatal?

Okay, I think judging a man's philosophy - that a lot of Veeky Forums seem keen to misread by the way- on one page will be a bit impossible. Camus is basically dealing with the major philosophical problem of suicide, or really, why people find life meaningless. His core belief is that our demand for meaning in a chaotic universe that gives nothing fixed back creates an absurd state. In this passage he's basically taking a position of empirical skepticism: that what science gives us is just another narrative among many in the facets of the world. Science doesn't solve anything, rather, it operates like poetry does - as a visual explanation for the mysteries of the universe - but different to poetry, there's a disconnect in their claims, a kind of strangeness to the reality science presents and the one we see. Although through science one can "seize phenomena and enumerate them" Camus is still unable to "aprehend the world", and to escape his subjectivity - which rather beautifully is why he keeps returning us to his descriptions of the world he sees.

The next passage is basically about the despair we feel again by placing impossible demands on science and narratives to deal with the absurd, which is a painful state we naturally want to avoid, leading our very nature of thought to "bumps into walls that defy it's assaults...stir up paradoxes". So that very last line that confused you is effectively Camus's description of the absurd feeling of becoming a "stranger" to an unknowable world- being unable to seriously talk about life while being totally confined to talk only about it. The passage you picked up is that humans often seek a resolution to that through false "peace...by refusing to know and to live". Basically by denying one of the clauses of the absurd, and saying that the universe is clear when Camus and many others feel inalienably confused towards it.

>what's everything
The world, or universe - which has no objective meaning
>poisoned peace
As discussed above, it would be the false sense of contentment that beliefs like scientism give you, which is in effect, denying the absurd by denying nonsense
>whose thoughtlessness
People who are effectively unskeptical
>What renunciations
Said people who give up on the absurd paradox for a more basic existence
>Why are they fatal
Because everyone dies and that's quite key to why things feel absurd.

-----

I'm not by the way, saying absurdism is a valid philosophy. But the book is good.

hmm, that makes a bit more sense to me
i definitely agree that science doesn't have all the answers

If you're interested, I'd suggest reading The Stranger. It's his first novel (he's more of a writer than a philosopher, personally) and it's less than a hundred pages. It's a story that really resonates in your late teens/ mid twenties.