Bookshelf thread

Check me

That's it

Stragglers

I've literally read none of these

Should I bother
I kinda wanna just kms

desu desu

why all the dante? are you a scholar of it or something?

He also has 5 editions of Faust

>That hot meme on the Dante shelf
Lmao

You have dope shit like Djuna Barnes and Terry Eagleton but then you have wack shit like Bill O'Reily and (all of that) Ayn Rand. What's up with that, user?

How's 'Wealth of Nations'?

I'm outside the echo chamber.

>tfw radical centrist

Irrelevant for the oncoming singularity and post scarcity economy

Kanye 2020

>killing yourself before you have read all the books you want

tfw that is genuinely one of the only things keeping me alive.

Stuck between "I don't feel like living but if I die I won't finish all these books" and "reading all these books does not make life worth living."

Don't. Take it easy and read whenever you want

Every book is a postponed suicide

>Ayn Rand

stopped checking there

why does the left always get triggered by strong women?

Are you a woman?

1/4
things I read in the last few years, roughly chronological by publication date

2/4
more things i've read in the last few years

3/4
classics, poetry, drama, reference, some stuff I've read, some I haven't

4/4
top shelf is unread/available
second shelf is opera/symphony programs, history and reference, anthologies, and my own journals

the books in the far top left, sophocles through ellison, were from high school

I need a bigger bookcase.

i got drunk and passed out on a quiet streetcorner within the maze of this bookshelf, awaking in a puddle of my own sick behind the calvino

Fuckin Sheep

The "I see myself as an entrepreneur" starter pack

>rand
>wealth of nations
>orwell fiction
>lord of the flies

kek

What's in the cahiers?

journals from 2009-16 mon ami

OP is the type of guy who believes in chem trails, calls people "sheeple", and says things like "open your eyes..."
People who read these books are sanctimonious and miserable to be around

1/9

u best not be posting more than 4 senpai lmao

2/9

3/9

4/9

6/9

7/9

8/9

9/9

I've posted here once before but have some new additions from the past several months. Sorry for the picture quality, stuck between a rock and a hard place with the quality of my camera and the upload size limit.

I'm definitely putting that essential writings of feminism on my to-buy list.

commodity fetishism

Most of my books are out in storage.

Right now I only have what I rented from the library, and a few scattered books that I bought in the past couple months.

Library list:

>Enders Game
>Enders Shadow
>The Supernaturalists
>Lord of the Flies
>The Whipping boy

Would love any suggestions with young (not teenagers yet) kids in either very harsh environments, or harsh family situations. Especially if they have female characters, because I'm having a hard time finding those at the moment.

radical dumbass is what you are

1/3

I'm starting to box them up to move. I'm gonna miss my wall-to-wall set-up.

2/3

3/3, the non-fic

Heh, excuse me sir, but this user couldn't help but notice that you've placed your bible in the "non-fiction" section

Just thought you should know :^)

It's with religion and philosophy. I know it's not very intuitive, I'm probably going to re-organize the whole bookcase once I move.

1/3

Oops I'm retarded.

1/3

2/3

do you guys ever feel that having a bookshelf is materalistic and meaningless and that adding a new book you've read doesn't feel as good as you thought it would?

Not particularly. I've felt that way about other collections, like anime figures, but books are useful beyond just seeing them displayed.

You have good taste in literature. Science, too. You listen to Boston hardcore, D-beat and powerviolence. You're an okay chap.

Most of the time no, because the books that I have on my bookshelf are things I intend to read again, read in the coming future, or are old favourite that I will pick up once or twice a year. Or study material, like medical text.

I usually don't keep stuff on their if it's not being read somewhat often.

3/3

File too large. Will have to take a different pic when I get home. 3/3 is mostly just mass market paperbacks. Science Fiction, Fantasy, and some classics.

you know you can read books more than once right

I don't even own books anymore. I used to have more books than most of Veeky Forums combined.

It's useless peacocking.

>more books than than most of Veeky Forums combined.

How many would that be? Were they inherited or your own picks?

Sweet straw man , but I don't believe any of that I just live outside the echo chamber

This again. Sure. Curious about the faces behind the shelves. Also based off my shelves does anyone recommend any books?

try some richard powers

2/4

3/4

now that's a good population density map

4/4

I'd suggest more Soseki than Kokoro, or also Kawabata, since I didn't seem him there. Sanshiro and Snow Country,

That top shelf tho fucking lit strt

I love your coover and vollmann. where the fuck did you find all the vollmann. I rarely see him at my local used book stores.

Why do you have so many books of faust?

Based Faust-and-Dantebrah, it's good to see that you are still with us.

I had to order most of them. I found a few locally, but they are pretty rare.

No I'm just a Dante autist.

I consider it my favorite work in the Western Canon. You may also remember me from pic related (I've since acquired more related books/some aren't pictured.)

You ok brah?

:^) nice digits fampai, check'd

ree

What's your favorite translation of Faust? I've heard Goethe is untranslatable, how true is it?

>Tfw someone shares my love of Faust

I bought Goethe's Selected Poetry yesterday. Penguin Classics.

I'd highly recommend it bro. The German/English translations of each poem are juxtaposed.

Which is your favourite Faust related work?

I'm at a bar drinking my 3rd 25 oz beer and on the clock. With my boss though so it's excused. Good times.

>Having a good relationship with your boss

This is literally pure ideology.

Goethe and Gaddis

Thanks for the tip I'll look into it.
>tfw can't speak German

Luke and Atkins are both solid. Atkins pays more attention to the variations in prosody and poetic techniques Goethe uses and tries to mimic it, whereas Luke is the "new standard" of accuracy and accessibility.

Verse is incredibly hard to translate, for any language and for any work. Meaning is always lost in translation, but that doesn't mean new meaning isn't created, or that the bulk of the original work can't be communicated. To quote Transtromer, we must believe in translation if we are to believe in world literature.

But I love Mann and Bulgakov as well. It's tough to rank them, they're all quite distinct and each offer something new to the Faust myth, and reflect something of their composition.

Something Like An Autobiography is really great

I dont actually have a good relationship with my boss he's just a raging alcoholic and i tag along because work sucks. He drinks like this at work every day. I just do it on fridays.

...are we to believe in world literature?

I'd be very sad if I could only read works in English, so for my purposes, yes, it's very good to believe in world literature.

Am I Veeky Forums desu?

Logan?

literally who

george elliot what are you a nazi don't you know he hated jews?

>falling for the feminist meme

How do you get the books to float like that?

>John Green
But why user?

I have looking for Alaska