Hey Veeky Forums i brought some chicken on Thursday, made slices in it to aid my marinade...

Hey Veeky Forums i brought some chicken on Thursday, made slices in it to aid my marinade, then left it out on the side waiting for me to deal with it.
Got drunk and forgot about it until the next day when i put it in the fridge. Left it there until today, when i get it out it has a really mild chicken ammonia smell but otherwise looks fine.
Iv stuck it in to soak in salt water which is not really done here (UK), so hoping that will help and then thinking ill make Jerk Chicken as i already made the marinade.
Am i going to die or get very sick?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zJlMJP8T9ms
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Was it in a salt based marinade or just sitting out? At any rate, just make sure it's thoroughly cooked and you will probably be OK. Having said that, I'd probably toss them but I'm not strapped for cash. If I were on a really tight budget, I'd probably eat them.

its probably be insanely disgusting and mushy, since even slightly acidic marinades ruin the texture if applied for more than a couple of hours

don't worry
you won't die op
just eat it
salmonella is overrated and poses no threat at all

This. Acidic marinades actually cook meat over time. Oranges, grapefruit, lemons, limes, fucking kumquats...any of that shit will fuck up your meat if you marinate it for longer than 2 hours, 3 hours tops and it will turn out tasting like hot garbage.

Toss it, it's going to be garbage on multiple counts

Make some spicy asian dish out of it.

I did not put the marinade on yet. Iv just go them out of the fridge in salt water, they look a bit healthier and smell has lessened.
I dryied them off with paper towl (kitchen roll) and have put back in the fridge to dry a bit more.
The marinade is a bit salty, its a mix of Dunns Jerk seasoning, lime juice, garlic, chillies, tropical sun jerk seasoning powder and olive oil all whizzed up (see pot in pic).
This is the last of my money for a few days and the bank is closed until Tuesday so will be attempting to eat this.
Thanks for tip re:salmonella, this is what i want to hear.

Thanks for the advice so far Veeky Forums

>a really mild chicken ammonia smell

I don't even know what that smell is. so just toss it.

For anybody interested, these are the seasoning mixes i used in my marinade.
They say they are made in Jamaica and are easy to get hold of in the UK.
I already feel a bit fragile due to going cold turkey from booze a few days back.
Ill keep Veeky Forums updated for research purposes and because focusing on this seems to be distracting me from DT's.

I feel for you bro. It's always hard for me to cook when I quit drinking because I always enjoyed drinking when I cooked. Good luck and all that.

Thanks man. I was a bit inbetween, i loved the idea of cooking but was too drunk to get round to attempting it (hence i left the chicken out for hours).
Now i'm sober (with hangover, dt's) i feel more focused but standing up is making me feel pretty dizzy.

**Quick Update** i just got the chicken out the fridge from drying out a bit and it seems a lot better so i dumped it all in the big pot of jerk marinade and gave it a good shake.
Gonna leave that in the fridge for 3-4 hours then casserole it.

"When in doubt, throw it out."

I wouldn't cook raw chicken that sat at room temperature overnight. The official safe time is 2 hours out. If you eat please report back

>British
>Drunkard
>"brought"
>"[UK doesn't really brine]"
>Contemplating eating day-warm chicken

It all adds up so well

Ill keep the updates coming.

Thanks, I'm glad someone is doing the maths here.
Feeling confident.

I could probably do with some drama too keep the thread going whilst the chicken marinates.

Please argue amongst yourselves Veeky Forums.

throw that shit away right now OP
unrefrigerated meat isn't a joke

It's not really chili without beans and tomatoes.

Iv started to think there is a good chance all the spices and stuff with kill any bacteria

Thats what i thought until i read some Texan people getting very aggressive about it a week or so back.

Fuck off, borefag.

Get rid of it.

I had food poisoning recently and if you have even an ounce of doubt (which im guessing you do since you made this thread), don't even bother risking it.

protip the bacteria may be daed but the toxins that get you ill will still be there

It might not have salmonella but it may have gone bad from leaving it out all night.

Give it a really good sniff before you cook it. If it smells off to you at all, throw it out. It's not worth getting food poisoning when the hospitals are gonna be full and fuck all nurses will be around tomorrow.

What kind of toxins are you talking about? It wouldn't be botulism because it wasn't stored anaerobic and the toxin is destroyed by heat anyway. The only worry is a growth of bacteria to a level that if not killed during cooking could cause food poisoning like salmonella, e-coli, shigella, etc. He's already assured us he will cook it thoroughly and I believe him as long as he stays sober which as an /al/ck myself know will be the biggest variable.

He won't get sick but may have to eat slightly drier chicken to guarantee doneness.

Pretty hard to tell now as its been marinading for 3 hours in Jerk sauce.
Gonna give it one more hour then casserole it for 45 minutes.
I'm feeling a lot more confident about the smell after i soaked the chicken in brine for an hour.

>Two bacteria, Bacillus and Clostridium, bear spores. Intense heat deactivates them, but they produce spores that resist freezing and cooking. These spores result in illness. Clostridium spores produce botulism, a major cause of food disease.

>Cooking spoiled meat to a high temperature kills some bacteria, but can leave toxins behind. The remaining toxins cause food-borne illnesses, and cooking does not destroy them. Staphylococcus bacteria die from cooking, but produce heat-resistant toxins that cause nausea and diarrhoea.

Ecoli can make toxins that are heat stable, and wont be denatured by cooking the meat.

Iv started to tell myself that food poisoning is mostly a conspiracy created by the Supermarkets to sell more stock.

**Update**
It has been marinading for just over 3 and a half hours so iv got it out of the fridge, going to put it in the oven for 25 minutes on 200c (392f) with the lid on then remove the lid and put it on for another 20 minutes.
Hopefully this will be enough to destroy any bad shit.

kek enjoy spending all night on the loo you idiot

It's not. But botulism is rarer than any endangered organism you can point a finger at.

If you live in america, I'm shocked if your food doesn't get you sick every week.

Go on, eat some chicken fuckrag

I'm in the UK.
Just put it in the oven a minute ago.
I need to wait for it to cook.
I'm not stupid.

Use a lot of chili and check if you als have some other herbs with antibotic and virostatic properites (like thyme) and add them.

Its got marinaded for 3 and a half hours with loads of chillis, chill powder, jerk seasoning (paste and powder), garlic, lime juice, olive oil, salt and pepper on.
I think you are on to something though, surely that should be enough to kill off any ancient bacteria, or at least disguise its taste.

**Update**
25 minutes in, took the lid off, giving it a further 20 minutes.

**Update**
Looked at it and decided id give it an extra 15 minutes with the lid off to get rid of some more of the juices.

>pond scum chicken

I'll take mine with nyquil thansk

Served.

Picked one out to test

stay healthy
have a pic of a pure glass of water for good luck

>spores. Intense heat deactivates them, but they produce spores that resist freezing and cooking.

No shit. That's why you pressure can non-acidic foods. Botulism bacteria are present in almost every square metre of soil, numbnuts, but it requires a specific environment to produce toxin. OP doesn't have it and it's already rendered harmless by his heat if he did.

>omfg nausea and diarrhea

I suspect as an /al/ck he's familiar with them.

Fizzy drink is called minerals here, friend.

Looks good. How'd it taste?

Thanks user, i made a video of me eating the piece of chicken.
It tasted fantastic desu, better than the last lot of Jerk i did a few weeks back with fresh chicken.

I made a video of me eating the test bit, not sure if it will embed automatically. I have no idea how to do that if it doesn't.

youtube.com/watch?v=zJlMJP8T9ms

Thanks Veeky Forums

Now for me to sit back and wait for the results.

30 minutes in and i feel the best iv felt all day.
Its almost like i should have eaten earlier today.

Hour in now and still feel absolutely fine anons, actually better than i did before eating it.
Ill report back if anything happens, if not ill do a final update in the morning but pretty sure this is conclusive, there is no such thing as food poisoning.

Slept well all night, feel fine today.
100% food poisoning is a global conspiracy.

Brocht

Who the fuck eats chicken (not wings or drumsticks) with their hands? Use some cutlery you savage. Good thread though, hope you don't die when the food poisoning creeps up on you

Glad to see it worked out. It's good to know, so if I leave meat out like that I won't have to waste it. Thanks for being a guinea pig. Really makes you think about what other myths about food safety big business and the govt. are feeding us.

17 hours since i made it and ate, still feeling fine.

Worked out fine, in fact just this minute i microwaved some of the leftovers i left out last night, so i'm sinking a load of those.

>1 result from 1 person
>PROOF!1!1!!
You can run a red light and not die, but that doesn't mean it's safe to do.

congrats on surviving

pic related

when you're unsure about chicken, chew it and taste it before you swallow.

If it tastes sour, toss it. Don't swallow it. If it doesn't taste sour, you're fine.

I supplied plenty of evidence in the form of photos imo.
Thanks
Wish you had told me this yesterday.

>I supplied plenty of evidence in the form of photos imo
Indeed. 1 sample, 1 person, doesn't proof anything, it just shows you didn't got sick this one time.
Maybe it really is safe, maybe your gut took care of it this time, maybe the conditions were right and there weren't any contaminants on or nearby it. But there is no way to know if a similar situation won't make you sick next time, 8+ hours is plenty of time for bacteria to grow and produce toxins.
And telling others to do the same is just wrong.

If you are that interested, you could make a study for yourself. I'm looking forward to your posts.