>NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>i.imgur.com/IJxTQBL.jpg

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

spigana.spektore.lv/2015/04/22/so-i-went-to-berlin-to-see-patrick-rothfuss/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What are you reading right now?

How are you liking it so far?

Ereader says I'm 10% into it and I'm really hating it so far.

Counted at least 3 instances of characters blatantly contradicting themselves. The sidekick character spoke all of one line in a really obvious vernacular, was told to "stop that," and immediately did so, thereafter speaking so similarly to the main character that I have to keep doubling back in their conversations to check who is saying what. And to cap it off the plot got moving in a really stupid way. "Holy shit I am so witty and silly I came up with this plan in 10 seconds so I am going to do it and there will be no objections."

Probs gunna push on for a few chapters to see how the first big plot point plays out before dropping it if it doesn't improve.

Re-reading David Eddings Beldariad/Mallorean because it's super comfy fantasy. Just picked up Gardens of the Moon because I needed a new series and I've been seeing it in the shops for years. Not really sure what to expect since it was more an impulse buy than anything else.

I don't care what anyone thinks, Gardens of the Moon is legitimately enjoyable and one of the best books in that inconsistent series.

I'm not reading anything right now because I'm waiting for sequels

I'm not liking it very much

Currently reading Wagner's The Illusuon of Conscious Will. Not /sff/, but it's one of the books Watts referenced in Blindsight so it's intrigued me.

Plague of Swords.

Battling through it. I like the story but he makes it so much harder to read than it needs to be.

I'm about a quarter of the way through Baru Cormorant and it's pretty good so far. I'm a big fan of the more economic and political angle, it definitely makes the Masquerade feel like a real colonial power, even if its social politics border on cartoonishly evil.

I just finished Words Of Radiance. As far as Shallan is concerned it could have been called Words Of Annoyance.

Still a good book, I liked the Bleach fight at the end.

I need a new book.

You sure that isn't Branderson?

They both have Smokey light eyes and glowing blades?

Stranger Norrells
Good

If only there were billions of books out there to choose from.

Are you the user that cries about not having books to read.... then can't read anything but sequels because his autism is so great?

Remember NOT APPROVED

Holy shit Sanderson is awful.

>I'm a big fan of the more economic and political angle
Daniel Abrahams is the guy for you.

You fucked up user you should have made the blade blue

user who originally recommended Baru here. I also enjoyed Dagger and Coin too.

>let me meme
Read emperor's soul and get back to us. It's a short story so you should be back by lunch.

Is Dagger and Coin better than his Long Price series? I tried that and didn't enjoy it, gave up after the first book.

>daniel "no magic for hundreds of pages" abraham
>suggesting in my general

Titus Groan.
Audiobook might have been a mistake. This is a drag to listen to.

Fantasy doesn't require anime battles running pages on end to be good.

If you don't enjoy Abrahams and/or literary books you shouldn't read TDC. It's more of the same borderline literary writing (not as slow as the classic stuff or even as slow as more modern prose like Guy Gavriel Kay's. It's a little faster but it won't provide instant gratification like Weeks or Sanderson or even Baru (although this author isn't afraid to stylise aspects of the prose so it lies somewhere in between Abrahams and a rapid modern book with bare/minimal prose.)

I used to think so too, then I read emperor's soul and went on to WoK and WoR. He's not that bad actually, certainly better than fucking Bakker with all his pretension.

>Fantasy doesn't require anime battles running pages on end to be good.
Did I say I wanted anime battles?
Why are you projecting your wants onto me?

I was promised something new, magical sentient golems that are made with thoughts and words. I wanted to see this explored... what did I get instead? HUNDREDS ans i mean HUNDREDS of pages with BIG fat nothing.
The price quartet is more of a boring slice of life series, than it is about magical reality bending golems. In the combined 2000+ pages in this series, probably 30(being very generous here) pages contain something that was actually fantastical. If you are writing a boring slice of life series, write it. Don't advertise it as magical beings, when the fucking story is about humans and the price they pay for their trials and tribulations.

I kept reading book after book saying "now it will all tie together", nope Abraham is a master troll. Made me read 4 books for squat...

Then the first dagger and coin book "magical spiders", etc...
I finished it only to see less than a page of magic, and that was when that orc/ whatever threw blue sparks in the air at the parade . I'm onto Daniel, I'm not continuing and I'm not reading anything else by him. Yes the name of this series makes it clear it's about money and backstabbing, but why advertise the magical elements and not use it?

Fuck you user, don't trip my autism mode.

>he wouldn't listen

One day, one day you will understand that people have a right to read whatever the fuck they damn please.

I pray it comes sooner rather than later as I grow tired of your same 4 shit reaction pics posted ad nauseam.

I am from the sf side, and really enjoy Sanderson's Legion series of novellas. I am using them as basis for a superhero who earns his living as a semi-famous character actor and whose superpower is ACTING!.

Anybody want to help me write a summary of echopraxia's plot for wikipedia?

ok

And of course, out of all the Stormlight characters Sanderson could have dedicated a whole short story to, it just HAD to be fucking Lift. Thanks a lot Brandon.

>SHE SUMMONED HER AWESOMENESS XDDDD

reddit as fuck.

He just likes reminding people he can write worse characters than Shallan

>we will never get an account of whatever Jasnah did in Shadesmar while everybody thought she was dead and how she survived in the first place

I think she must have Soulcast a fake body for the assassins to stab and then just teleported away.

Stick to Sanderson you retarded animefag.

With Sanderson you will get all the REALITY BENDING magic action you can handle, especially his superheroes YA series.

Abrahams uses what you refer to as magical golems as commentary on the human condition and they are aspects of the humans that create them. If you expected lel epic fucking Pokemon battles between andats you are a retard and a retard twice for reading the second series too and complaining that your self inflicted delusion resulted in the monumental pain of completing a book.

You guys ought to try KJP's the Folding Knife. Or if you like Abraham's economic aspect, try out Dorothy Dunnett's House of Niccolo series, which was a major inspiration for those parts in tDatC. It's historical fiction, but absolutely fantastic.

I thought the Long Price quarter was one of the finest stuff written recently (mainly because of the last two books), and while I like the Dagger and the Coin, it doesn't have nearly the same pull.

And as a further fucking addendum if you can't even fucking spell 'and' without giving yourself stroke, overuse ... like a five year old afraid of wetting their pants and seeming lacks the intellectual capacity to place spaces, pray tell me why you are on Veeky Forums and not a mental asylum in the first place?

>pants and seeming lacks
grammar nazism cuts both ways, friend

>One day, one day you will understand that people have a right to read whatever the fuck they damn please.
Why does this apply to others and not me? Don't be a fucking hypocrite, if yall can shit on other people's likes, I can shit on yours.

I could just make new memes user

>do my work for me guys

>a fake body for the assassins to stab and then just teleported away.
>heh nothing personnel kid
>teleports behind you
Sanderson IS anime

You can't read can you?
You just saw I expected golems and you jumped on that to shitpost.

What are you doing on the lit board if you can't even read and comprehend?

And anime IS shit.

Not the user, but another ye olde book reader. I need new memes to hate.

>he made some solid points
>let me call him animefag
>let me point out the typo because 'd' and 's' are so far apart
>let me attack his intelligence
>he likes to use '...' let me attack that
>let me ignore that Daniel Abraham is a troll, he had a picture up with a girl pointing at her vagina with the caption "you can stick it in for 10 bucks". Upon paying $10 and entering the room, their is a tesla coil with a hole for you to stick your finger in.
>muh false advertising

>being a grammar nazi
>making that many mistakes
Jfc stop posting.

Maybe teleport was the wrong term. She, like, shifted into the Sanderson equivalent of the Astral Plane. More Dungeons and Dragons than anime.

>lives in a glass house
>throws stones
These pseuds never learn.

Wolfhound Century.

I like the setting, the sentences and the mood, but it hasn't quite all come together for me yet.

Ite buried meme user
Lets see how it goes.

3/4 through Dust of Dreams. I only read Malazan on weekends to retain my sanity. During the week I'm currently burning through Asprin's Myth series. It's a reread, but I wanted to test an old kindle I picked up at thrift store.

Favorite Discworld book?

there's an short scene of how she survived on tor. as for her journey, sanderson wrote it out as a novella that he refuses to publish.

source: jasnah is my waifu i am contractually obligated to know and pass this knowledge on.

>finished WoT after 6 months

>sanity hanging by a thread after forcing myself through Crossroads Of Twilight

Looks like a good time to pick up Malazan.

>sanderson wrote it out as a novella that he refuses to publish.

You mean he wrote it just for himself to keep his universe's internal consistency? Is there even a more autistic author?

Why do you hate yourself user? I'm waiting a minimum of one year between finishing Malazan and starting WoT.

Thief of Time, Night Watch, Reaper Man.
I love I Shall Wear Midnight, Monstrous Regiment, Thud!, Lords and Ladies, and Hogfather, but those are objectively less good.

>The Worm Ouroboros
Fantastic. It's structured a lot like an epic: little focus on plot mechanics and more on larger than life events and supernaturally powerful/witty characters. Lots of great archaic insults. Unfortunately the world does not feel entirely 'lived in' and history seems confined to a few preceding decades. The prose is impossible to breeze through, so pace is slow.

>The Dragon Reborn
Just started. Was disappointed with the end of The Great Hunt – the stakes, and why I'm supposed to be intrigued by the protagonists, are unclear to me.

>The Power That Preserves
Also just started. I really love these books – Thomas Covenant is an odd character archetype.

>starting WoT.

I have finished it and my honest advice is don't even start. There are admittedly good ideas, good moments, even good characters in the whole thing, but it's so DILUTED it's like...if I took a bottle of vintage wine, emptied it in a pool and then forced you to drink the whole pool.

>You guys ought to try KJP's the Folding Knife
Great suggestion. That's what I was going to suggest as a much more appropriate one than Abraham.

I already bought the books...
Though I appreciate your advice, I'm not reading them due to any anticipation of enjoyment or whatever. Enough of my time is spent reading that I can treat this stuff like mountain climbing. "Yeah, WoT really sucked, but I read the entire thing", that kind of feeling. I have several other multi-tome monstrosities waiting to scratch this particular itch, so I might not get around to WoT for some time.

I've noticed your complaints about Abraham in these threads. I happen to disagree with you (I find tDatC lacking, but tLP to be excellent), but there's not much ground for discussion there.

Now I'm curious, though. In that post you say you were promised and advertized magical beings/sentient golems, and the exploration thereof, and that you were disappointed by the relative lack of said material.

But, may I ask, where were you promised these things? And if you were, why does it seem like you hold Abraham personally responsible for what his publisher does? Or did Abraham falsely advertise his own series in an interview or something?

Pic related is what I'm going for. It's the back cover, front flap and back flap of the hardcover edition of "A Shadow in Summer" (the first and possibly the slowest book in the quartet). In the ARC of the book, the Martin quotation is basically the only thing used to advertise it. I don't know about you, but to me it seems like a very personal tale. The setting seems epic, but the tale does not. Granted, I didn't expect the book to be that slow either, but then, I didn't feel like I was being rused.

I also felt the andat were satisfactorily explored.

(I know the books were re-issued in omnibus editions with a Lawrence/Weeks type of "badass" figure in the cover, which was exceedingly weird, but that can't be what you're referring to?)

Awesome reading list, user.

pls read Dunnett too. pls.

Gardens of the Moon can be a little difficult to get into when you first start because there is very little exposition.

I finished the first book of Michael Moorcock's The History Of The Runestaff series, the Dorian Hawkmoon books. All four books are collected in an omnibus in the Fantasy Masterworks series and elsewhere.

This is the first thing I've read by Moorcock and I enjoyed it. It's a brisk read, written in short chapters that move the action along quickly. Its unadorned and action-led style feels refreshing in this age of long and overly descriptive and meditative modern fantasy books, and I am looking forward to reading the rest of the series.

I read it years ago, I can't remember where I got my starting info from(I read digitally) and my autism isn't that great that I will go and find it.

I liked the series it was okay, but it wasn't fantastical. Abraham just threw in the golems to explore humanity (fuck humanity, I want the inhumanity /alienation explored) humans are trash, why would I want to read about "how good" they can be? If I wanted that shit I would read philosophy, not fantasy.

Through 2000+ pages we only get to see a golem made once(twice if you count the half formed one), and it's near the end of everything.
I didn't read to see the fall of everything, I didn't read to see that we can't use tools in place of human interaction, I didn't read to see that no matter how low you fall there is still more ledges below.
I read to see the andat do amazing things, and how they would utilize their abilities to fix situations. But none of that was explored. It was just mentioned they could do 'x' and 'y'.

Daniel Abraham isn't a fantasy writer, he is a philosophical writer who uses very miniscule elements of the fantastical, as a van to sneak his contraband across borders.

Please I need new memes to peddle.

Give me some other authors to shill so I can bet people to hate on it.

That's a big cat.

for meow.

I think we disagree on what is fantasy and what not. Abraham may explore different things than normal with his use of the fantastic, but he most definitely still writes within the borders of the fantasy genre.

As to the other points, fair enough. The Saraykeht Empire was in decline, and most of the andat concepts were already mined in its heyday. I thought the rarity, therefore, drove the point of the decline home. There was no resurgence, and the decline was real. The fact that any new andats were created was a miracle.

Again, personally speaking only, I liked the use of the andat. They were beings of immense power; practically WMDs. Seedless could have starved the world, and Stone-Made-Soft could have turned the world into mush. At that point they acted as deterrents and threats, and since they weren't actively engaged in war, they were used for... industry. I forgot what Seedless did (something to do with trade), but Stone-Made-Soft was used for mining. I thought these points were cool.

I'm not trying to argue with these last two, by the way, just trying to convey my thoughts on these issues.

P. S. The series isn't exactly 2000+ pages. It's barely 1400 in my hardback editions, and it isn't like they use small print either. This - and Kearney's Monarchies of God - are two series I often recommend if someone is looking for a good, short series.

Enders Game/Enders Shadow/The Supernaturalists

Mmmm, the elusive Sabercornasaur.

Recently finished Sword of Destiny

I really liked most of the stories, the last one was probably my favorite. I almost lost my shit when Geralt met his mother

>The Supernaturalists
The YA about teens hunting afterlife ghost things? Man I haven't read that in years.

>Main Character's name is Shepard

So I have read Emperor's Soul, Way Of Kings, Words Of Radiance and Edgedancer.

This Cosmere shit intrigues me. Where do I go next?

Nowhere, unless you want to be disappointed.

Mistborn

To see the rest of the extended universe watch Iron Man 1 and 2, Thor, Captain America, and then Avengers.

Are all his other works not as good?

Shit, that looks like a LOT of books.

It's not that bad.

Stormlight is by FAR his best, just wait for book 3. There's lots of other authors out there, check them out.

What should I start with in the fantasy charts?
There's too many choices

Easy. You cannot make a choice on your own therefore you are weak willed therefore a cuck therefore read Bakker.

Sit down. Close your eyes. Meditate. Who am I? What is it that I want? After contemplating your life for several minutes go pick a fucking book that looks interesting and read it you cuck.

Read ten pages of the Cybernetic Samurai by victor Milan last night and DROPPED. Don't know why I even picked it up, guys a fuckin hack

>Cybernetic Samurai
Kek
I tried reading Dinosaur Lords by him. His prose is as shit as his ideas are crazy. And I have no doubt he starts his stories by thinking "What's the craziest premise I could come up with?"

Close eyes.
Stab finger.
Curated selection is overrated. You can't properly appreciate the good stuff unless you also read the trash.

Finished warrior prophet today.
Battle of carrascand at the end was awesome. My dick was hard entire time reading it.
If proyas and cnaiur don't have passionate gay sex in 3rd book i'll be disappointed

More charts

>a whore after all

What do you guys think about Gene Wolfe?
I don't see him mentioned often here, but it seems that he is almost revered on Reddit and other places.
Just a meme, or is he actually good?

>I don't see him mentioned often here, but it seems that he is almost revered on Reddit and other places.

I started Shadow of the Torturer a week ago, and now I'm up to Sword of the Lictor. I love his prose style and how he blurs the line between sci-fi and fantasy. I can see why people would find him difficult to get into, but I find that old style of writing incredibly comfy, and I really like Severian as a character.

What if I told you.. this wasn't a bait post?

Fuck off, we only discuss real fantasy literature here, like that by Pat "Skilled lover of women" Rothfuss.

Absolute meme, avoid everything with his name on it like the plague.

Are fantasy readers way too used to old sexist tropes? Consider what KKC fans think about Denna.

spigana.spektore.lv/2015/04/22/so-i-went-to-berlin-to-see-patrick-rothfuss/

>So along comes Kvothe, and he’s adventurous and proud, and he loves this woman and she does not immediately fall at his feet, she does not go out of her way to adore him. She doesn’t bend over backwards to make herself available to him. I think people resent that, because some part of them has come to believe this thing they’ve heard in stories again and again and again. They think a woman should make herself available to a man just because the man wants her.

>implying Reddit isn't too busy wanking over Sanderson and Rothfuss to even know who Wolfe is

Come on man.

Use a random number generator. Re-roll until you get something that might interest you.