Juvenile book list

Can I get some recommendations on juvenile literature for my 10 yo daughter? Or any links to reading lists? She's an advanced reader. What are must reads?

Other urls found in this thread:

mrbauld.com/bloomjr.html
youtube.com/watch?v=sppxKODAg2Y
youtube.com/watch?v=T1w77Qh7bsc)
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Horse books

the once and future king
lord of the rings
the long walk
vurt

What does she like reading, what is the most advanced book she has ever read and enjoyed?

Georges Bataille - The Story of the Eye
short, maybe a bit below her reading level, but good

She's read it. Liked it.

The Hobbit
The Phantom Tollbooth
The Graveyard Book
Alice in Wonderland
Enchanted Forest Chronicles
The Tripod Trilogy
His Dark Materials
Un Lun Dun
Neverwhere
A Series of Unfortunate Events
Harry Potter
The Little Prince
Jonathan Livingston Seagull
Flatland
Eisenhorn
A Wrinkle in Time
Treasure Island
Great Expectations
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Trilogy
Enders Game
A History of the World in 6 Glasses
The Story of Philosophy
Wind Sand and Stars

She LIKES reading babysitters club series and Harry potter series (she's read them all) but I make her read classics interspersed. She said Age of Fable is her hardest.

Off the top of my head she's read:
Hobbit
Alice
Series of unfortunate events
Little Prince
Treasure island

Im currently reading Lord of the Flies and probably would have love it as a young kid, try that. Also, The Supernaturalists.

The Bell Jar

Green Angel also.

I remember reading this in school. I think it's age appropriate. I know there's the murder but can't remember all the banter

E.B White (Charlotte's Web, that one about the swan and the trumpet, Stuart Little)
Redwall Series
A Series of Unfortunate Events

>Im currently reading

Spoilers man, spoilers!

Naw, but really, you would be surprised at what things kids can read and grasp. I wouldn't worry about it too much as long as your being a good parent and aren't ignoring your kid. A lot of the books I read when I was ten/twelve had some pretty harsh undertones, but all it did was give me an outlet for my own life frustrations.

The warriors series was another really good one now that Im on that subject.

I am very conscious of her outside influences. And she's read a few of the warriors. But there's like 100 of them

Read all except for redwall. Will have to get that.

I recall them sodomising a dead pig with a pointy stick.

Ya, the original series seemed like the best. It think there's also another called Flowers in the Attic, but that's probably better for when she's a teenager. If I got the name right, that one was pretty deep and intense too, but would have probably been hard to get for a young kid because they haven't gone through similar yet.

I have to look into it more cause it's been 20 yrs since I've read it. But who hasn't sodomized an animal either alive or dead when they're a child?

Well then get her the rest I thought you were here for recs not to brag on your daughter's behalf

>HomeArts: Why should children read? And why should children read good books?

>Bloom: To be coldly pragmatic about it, reading good books will make them more interesting both to themselves and to others. And it is by becoming more interesting--and this sounds callous, but it's true, I think--that by becoming more interesting both to oneself and to others, one develops a sense of one's separate and distinct self.
>So if children are to individuate themselves, they will not do it by watching television, or by playing video games, or by listening to rock, or by watching rock videos. They will individuate themselves by being alone with a book, by being alone with the poetry of William Blake or A. E. Housman, or being alone with Norse mythology or The Wind in the Willows.

mrbauld.com/bloomjr.html for full list

Lolita is good because it's starter and has a girl her age she can relate to.

I will get her to read the rest. I thought that was understood. Just trying to show the books and types she has read already.

Just purchased on Amazon for her. It says it's a classic. Thanks!

Bloom actually has an anthology of children's literature, Stories and Poems for Extremely Intelligent Children of All Ages.
(is the Extremely really necessary? Come on Bloom)

It's actually a pretty good collection that I would recommend to adults just getting into literature, but I agree it has a terrible title.

>kickstarting the development of a horse girl

On the beach
Redwall
Watership Down
Plague dogs
The hobbit
Wind in the willows
Indian in the cupboard
Hatchet
Island of the blue dolphins
Bridge to Terebithia
Where the red fern grows
The Cay
The red badge of courage
Shiloh
Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark
Ender's Game
D'Auliare's books on mythology
Alice in Wonderland
Great Illustrated Classics

This. Horse girls need to have their lights stomped out

Bridge to Terabithia

Great Illustrated Classics

The Secret Garden, which is basically Babysitters club with typhoid

Das Kapital

I think Bloom is wrong here. There is a lot to be for children to gain from TV and Video Games. Probably more so Video Games than TV.
If I had a kid who was reading something and trying to figure it out, and thinking about it and all that I would be proud.
If I had a kid who was playing a video game and Creating strategies, and solving problems I would also be proud.
This doesn't apply to low tier books or games.

>I think I'm funny the post
Original is the best. A similar and in some ways superior series is Guardians of Ga'hoole. Pretty fantastic.

If no one's suggested them: His Dark Materials, Inkheart series, the Heritage Cycle by Paolini (think LoTR Lite), Ender's Game, anything C.S. Lewis, anything Charles Dickens, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Chrysanthemums (and other Steinbeck), and throw in some poetry for good measure. I recommend Emily Dickinson.
Happy reading to you and your kid.

people who post on Veeky Forums should not have children

Its too bad your parents didn't post on Veeky Forums then.

10,000 year old man doesn't understand the benefits of new media, shocking.
But yeah, makes me angry when people, especially parents, dismiss entire mediums or genres. It's all about quality, just talk to your kids about the benefits and salient features of whatever they're enjoying and steer them toward things that aren't a waste of time.

Some video games are alright. If the kid can figure out dwarf fortress, they must be doing something right. I've also found that DF-like stockpile management reduces irl clutter. It just... does. I don't have the math to explain it.

I credit old cli video games with teaching me how to spell and type quickly. But even guis remained good during the wall of text era.

>youtube.com/watch?v=sppxKODAg2Y

Your list needs:

Gulliver's Travels,
The Secret Garden,
The Odyssey (the kids will be attracted to the adventure)

> DF-like stockpile management reduces irl clutter
Can confirm, the efficiency with which i keep the house clean and uncluttered sometimes makes my housemates worried about me

For example: Leave a book in the living room. In the normal run of things, people will only move the book to get it out of their way, thus the location of the book is determined by a probabilistic diffusion model. It could very well end up on the floor, or under a couch.

tl;dr the old system is bad.

In the DF-style: A feeder stockpile (cardboard box) in the living room becomes the drop off point for all random objects within the area. Instead of migrating, the objects will now cluster. This is not their final destination, they will cycle to their specific bookcase eventually, but it doesn't immediately jump the gun, because you were probably still using it.

This is where that two by four mine track comes in to play.

The drop box is situated on a lever - pulley system, when its weight exceeds the drop weight, the lever falls and hits a toggle which locks the incline. The box will now slide down to the supply shaft, which contains another lever pulley. This time the added weight exceeds a counterweight and the package descends to feed the sorting stockpile. When the package slides off, the counterweight sends the platform back to the top level. Additive counterweights at different levels allow all stories to be serviced by a single shaft.

The sorting stockpile is located near to major stockpiles and requires some brain power to function. Due to the layover time most objects inappropriate for the basement should have been picked out of the feeder pile by then.

This is a children's thread after all.

Video games can certainly get you to think and strategize, but he's right about needing books to create a distinct self. Look at all those video game nerds who revolve their life around playing games and end up becoming cliches, like a parody of video game nerds. Problem solving skills could help you out in certain areas of life but they don't make you an interesting, introspective, empathetic person at all and for that you need good books.

>The Autobiography of a Horse
>Autobiography
>Horse
>Auto

Finnegans Wake, The Critique of Pure Reason, something by Julian Rios, those are good, light, readable stuff for your daughter, as well as very patrician so you know she'll never get tainted by bad books

Recreational reading correlates highly with academic success. In fact the best thing you can do for your kid is have books in the house and encourage reading, it's more important than socio-economic status or your own level of education.

The Artemis Fowl series is nothing short of amazing.
(except the first book which is pretty mediocre imo)

The Iliad
The Odyssey
Landmark Herodotus
Landmark Thucydides
Landmark Xenophon
Complete works of Sophocles, Euripides, and Aeschylus
Lysistrata, The Clouds, and The Frogs by Aristophanes
The Presocratics and the Sophists
Complete works of Plato
Complete works of Aristotle

Lots of autobiographies are ghostwritten

very ironic. Good job

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Lewis Carroll
Watership Down, Richard Adams
The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe, C.S. Lewis
The Redwall Series, Brian Jacques
Call of the Wild, Jack London
White Fang, Jack London
Harry Potter Series, J.K. Rowling
The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings, J.R.R. Tolkien
Charlotte's Web, E.B. White
Anne of Green Gables, Lucy Maud Montgomery (My sister and mother enjoyed it)
Just So Stories and the Jungle Book, Rudyard Kipling
Where the Sidewalk Ends and Falling Up, Shel Silverstein
Swann's Way, Marcel Proust
Aesop's Fables
The Tale of Peter Rabbit, Beatrix Potter
Through the Looking-Glass, Lewis Carroll
Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen
An Ideal Husband, Oscar Wilde
The Velveteen Rabbit, Margery Williams Bianco
Romeo and Juliet, William Shakespeare

I also recommend collections of mythology and folktales. When I was a child I went through phases with these.

>Native American
>Chinese
>Japanese
>Indian
>Celtic
>Norse
>Greek and Roman
>Egyptian
>Sumerian
>Russian
>African
>Inca and Mayan

I also recommend cherry picking manga and anime.

Hi no Tori, Osamu Tezuka (youtube.com/watch?v=T1w77Qh7bsc)