TRUMP FDA revives consumer genetic tests

Huge Victory for Science after Obama's FDA banned predictive genetic testing

qz.com/953486/fda-23andme-decision-at-home-medical-genetic-testing/

Doctors are losing their role as the gatekeeper of our health information, for the better.

Last week, the US Food and Drug Administration made a surprise announcement giving genetic testing company 23andMe clearance to sell a service that gives customers a risk analysis for 10 genetically linked diseases. It reverses a 2013 decision

Other urls found in this thread:

freebeacon.com/issues/nih-87-5-research-may-wasteful/
nih.gov/research-training/allofus-research-program
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Really amazing to see stupid needless regulation getting BTFO. Great to see Republican gov being pro-science. This will create an entirely new industry as many companies move into the space. In addition the approval process has been made easier! Great FDA!

the FDA is establishing criteria, called special controls, which clarify the agency’s expectations in assuring the tests’ accuracy, reliability and clinical relevance. These special controls, when met along with general controls, provide reasonable assurance of safety and effectiveness for these and similar GHR tests.

In addition, the FDA intends to exempt additional 23andMe GHR tests from the FDA’s premarket review, and GHR tests from other makers may be exempt after submitting their first premarket notification. A proposed exemption of this kind would allow other, similar tests to enter the market as quickly as possible and in the least burdensome way, after a one-time FDA review.

This kind of stuff is the real solution to healthcare: free up the market to make cheap alternatives possible, don't fiddle with the way we pay for the current system.

Big steps: let pharmacists fill prescriptions from any source, and make surgery a job which lesser-trained technicians can do, requiring an MD for neither.

unregulated designer baby industry now

I didn't ask for this.

Best news I've heard all week. I've been upset for years I missed the window to use 23andme before they limited what information they could give out

>The disease risk that 23andMe offers isn’t a diagnosis; it just gives you your potential for elevated risk. For example, if a person inherited a copy of the ApoE4 gene variant from both of their parents, their lifetime risk of Alzheimer’s would raise to 87%, up from the 9% risk of the general population
Smells like information they can sell off to insurance companies. I don't have strong opinions on this though.

We genetic determinism now?

True, but our dystopian future is inevitable. I'm still excited for it

>cuts NIH funding
>allows genetic defects to pay money to find out they are genetic defects

"""""""pro science""""""

For some reason I'm not convinced you've ever conducted an experiment and published it's results.

NIH is shit, try again.

Ancap is the best environment for scientific advancement.

t. Depressed Fatty on Veeky Forums alive due to NIH funded research.

freebeacon.com/issues/nih-87-5-research-may-wasteful/

>freebeacon.com

But really, have you ever conducted any scientific research, or are you just excited to find out what disorders you are likely to get later in life at the same time Trump slashes the funding for treatments?

if you're butthurt about NIH funding cuts then chances are very good that you're doing pointless research, if any.

Ayy lmao. Not being directly marketable doesn't mean not applicable or useless, especially when it comes to health.

i.e. i was right

I hate how retards come into this thread and go nuts on trump

Do you honestly think Trump oversaw any of this decision making? I'd be surprised if FDA wasn't heavily picked by peter thiel

>Do you honestly think Trump oversaw any of this decision making?
No, but he chose asshats who oversaw this, and chose to note veto legislation (if any) that allowed this. Trump is quite responsible. You're a fucking fool to say otherwise.

Not really, who knows maybe even Hillary would have let google and co deregulate the FDA

Also NIH funding is a completely different topic

>giving google your genome

smart!

(((consumer genetic tests)))
Good, good, give companies your genetic makeup :D
"We found you have a craving for Coca-Cola and McDonalds so buy more of it :D:D:D"

#BASED TRUMP
Shillary cucks BTFO

yep

23andme has a policy to delete your information within 30 days at request. They are a reliable company.

>insurance prices go up when these companies sell off your data
>must be obamacare

>le research must be marketable meme
Found the brainlet

>They are a reliable company.
this is what liberals believe

fuck that and fuck paranoids

Everyone's genetic data should be available for studies and healthcare data analytics

>a risk analysis for 10 genetically linked diseases.

This was banned?

I'd sure like to know what I may be susceptible to and learn how to avoid doing/eating things that would trigger those diseases. I can't imagine not being allowed to do that.

You need to have insurance for that to matter, but it really doesn't matter in the first place. they already do that sort of thing for every stat they can get their hands on and a few they make up. They will not pay for a host of things up front and still won't pay for a host of things they say they will pay for when you do end up getting sick. They are a bunch of companies who literally gamble with human life, hoping you won't get sick and welching on the bets when you do get sick.

Your best bet is to never need health insurance.

Companies are never reliable.

>23andMe.com

Fug, look at all those tests that can be done now.

After you are dead, they may still have your genome. It may stay in databanks for centuries. Then for some reason someone or something decides to make clones based on those records. You live again. Well your genes live again. Only this time there's a better chance you won't end up on Veeky Forums wasting your life away without a GF, wife, or children.

I work for a genetic sequencing company and this shit is awful. Genetic predispositions are in no way a guarantee of anything, but anyone who can get their hands on them will use them as gospel.

Insurance companies will jack up prices if you or your potential offspring appear to be predisposed to condition x. Your potential employer can look at your genetic data and decide not to hire you because you may be predisposed to condition y. It's bullshit.

Genetic data needs to be kept completely private to the individual and a medical professional to help interpret the results realistically.

>This was banned?
>Companies are never reliable.
Answered your own question.

Worry was that insurance companies would start using the information to fug ya in the butt.

>Genetic predispositions are in no way a guarantee of anything, but anyone who can get their hands on them will use them as gospel.

It even states that you still have a chance of getting the disease in the report you get from the company.

> Your potential employer can look at your genetic data and decide not to hire you because you may be predisposed to condition y.

It is already illegal for people to do this for things like gender, race, etc. Do you really think it won't be illegal to do that for genetics?

>Worry was that insurance companies would start using the information to fug ya in the butt.

That's a moot point though. They do that as par for the course. They even lobbied to make sure everyone must have insurance just to get more money.

>Great to see Republican gov being pro-science
>"Pro science"
>Cutting funding
>Denying climate change
>Having vaccines reviewed by an anti-vaxer
>Wanted names of every scientist who supported climate change

God people on Veeky Forums are retarded.

>It is already illegal for people to do this for things like gender, race, etc. Do you really think it won't be illegal to do that for genetics?
You do realize they are already do this, and also are already effectively patenting people - and were before we decoded the genome.

...and all that was going on back in the days when unions meant something.

>Genetic data needs to be kept completely private to the individual and a medical professional to help interpret the results realistically.

What's wrong user? Surely you trust your corporate overlords with genetic information right?

>Do you really think it won't be illegal to do that for genetics?

It won't because it will be legitimized by the healthcare industry. So now companies can say "we believe this candidate is a liability due to these aspects of his genome, so instead we are going to hire this other candidate whose genome doesn't have those liabilities". If they de-privatize genetic information we're headed to the Gattaca universe.

There's already a bill doing something similar to this.

www.congress.gov/115/bills/hr1313/BILLS-115hr1313ih.pdf

Firstly it sets up the condition that you have to pay higher insurance rates by about 30% if you choose not to go under your employer's "wellness program". So unless you're rich, you're basically pushed into accepting that wellness program and everything associated with it.

Secondly it sets up the same insurance situation for employee family medical history.

Thirdly it sets up the same insurance situation for genetic testing information. So an employer can demand you take a genetic test, and demand the results of that test, and you have to comply unless you can deal with significantly higher insurance payments.

>implying shitposting isn't genetic

certain people hate the idea of genetic determinism

stop bringing up off topic things

>Doctors are losing their role as the gatekeeper of our health information, for the better.
The problem was never that doctors couldn't be gatekeepers anymore, it was that the companies were telling consumers they have a risk for a condition based on absolutely garbage evidence.

I took a genetics course and I was told a similar thing about 23andme.
A lot of their evidence for concluding who's exposed is shaky AND on top of that you really need to dig deep and actually have a clue to understand the results.

I doubt companies will not misuse the information.

It should be private information.

Some people pray to a god.

You most likely have a sick family member, most people have. Most people have a sick parent or sibling.

Everybody is predisposed to something. Doesn't mean it's going to happen. It just doesn't.

There's "simple" monogenic dominant disorders that don't always or even often manifest.

This is not important to science. This is important to /pol/.

This
The tests are bullshit, they can't do what they claim to be able to. Anyone thinking reversing the ban is about >muh freedom is a fool. This is about insurance companies finding easy, evidence free ways to deny coverage to as many people as possible.

But hey, if they've found a new market for their shit technology among neckbearded mouthbreathing Trumplets, good on them.

Not good on them. People making health decisions based on shoddy information clogs up the health care system and wastes resources. It has the potential to impact broad public health.

Insurance companies can't use it. You are just lying and being a retard.

This happens regardless of "muh gene test". Retards are retarded.

>Last week, the US Food and Drug Administration made a surprise announcement giving genetic testing company 23andMe clearance to sell a service that gives customers a risk analysis for 10 genetically linked diseases. It reverses a 2013 decision
hmmm

>something bad is happening
>let's make it worse

am thinking hard, as you say

You made no point. You fucking shithead, why the fuck are you on Veeky Forums?

You literally just posted low IQ shitbrain garbage. You backed up zero of statements.

Here is the equivalent but opposite argument.

It's good.
This is good.

>free up the market
L0Lno fgt pls

...and much more important to the trillion-dollar insurance denial corporations.

>implying companies wouldn't access that data and not hire people with genetic health risks, insurance companies not ensure people who are at risk of requiring expensive healthcare etc

Research would be like 10% of use at most

SpaceX::Nasa

How useful are most things in society? The point is it allows companies like 23andme to increase revenue and also helps the public marginally increase their understanding of determinism.

I personally think it's great. Also 23andme has been used in studies and does help research.

I'm not sure I would agree that everything must be public funded and that free market is somehow bad. I understand communism is gaining a lot of popularity lately but I'm pretty sure that free market value is good for science. The competition for comprehensive services will help push and fund such research.

There's a difference between allowing for tests like that and making everyone's genetical data publicly available.

If anything the second option is closer to what a commie would do

For reasons of data analytics and research it makes total sense to make it available. Especially if it is anonymized.

That's the whole point of precision medicine. It's extremely important information to determine genetic causes of things and to improve all sorts of treatments.

"Muh Privacy" is retarded when it comes to this. It's only holding back extremely beneficial improvements over tin foil shit.

As part of the federal Precision Medicine Initiative, the NIH is leading the effort to build a national, large-scale research enterprise with one million or more volunteers to extend precision medicine to all diseases.

>For reasons of data analytics and research it makes total sense to make it available. Especially if it is anonymized.

Oh it would definitely be useful to have, no question about it

>That's the whole point of precision medicine. It's extremely important information to determine genetic causes of things and to improve all sorts of treatments.

Sure. But do you really need everyones info, when you can realistically get hundreds of thousands, if not millions of volunteers?

>"Muh Privacy" is retarded when it comes to this. It's only holding back extremely beneficial improvements over tin foil shit.

>privacy
>tin foil

Also, it's not even just about privacy. A lot of people would be permanently unemployed or could not find insurance as well as may have other problems. This is something that would definitely be abused for political and financial purposes, and the additional data won't matter nealry enough to outweigh that

As part of the federal Precision Medicine Initiative, the NIH is leading the effort to build a national, large-scale research enterprise with one million or more volunteers to extend precision medicine to all diseases.

people are way too obsessed with privacy

We all have weird perversions and shitty genetics. Get over it.

>Everyone's genetic data should be available for studies and healthcare data analytics
There's a gigantic database of over 10 million samples available, all anonymous.

...And I wouldn't have a problem with a double-blind system that allowed you to get genetic testing done, anonymously.

The trick is finding a way to make sure it stays anonymous while still allowing you to get information back. I wouldn't trust the private industry with that, and the government kinda sucks at keeping secrets.

Kinda of the opposite, really. I don't think the current generation even understands the concept of privacy - to the degree where it regularly gets individuals killed, and eventually, is going to do the same for whole swaths of them.

>pro sci
>not pro biz

>I wouldn't trust the private industry with that, and the government kinda sucks at keeping secrets.
Well, that's why you make it illegal for someone else to use or demand the information - then it doesn't so much if it leaks, provided you can prove the information was used against you.

But yeah, I wouldn't allow that to be done non-anonymously until those laws were in place, and the current medical records laws are rather full of holes.

Gattacaville is probably inevitable, but it would be nice to have some things in place to slow it down.