25~75% cheaper than warehouse clubs and traditional grocery stores

>25~75% cheaper than warehouse clubs and traditional grocery stores
>can now save money or eat like a king

How do they do it?

Other urls found in this thread:

wodkablog.de/wodka-test/putinoff-premium-vodka-lidl/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

By selling generic garbage. It is certainly not as cheap as Mexican supermarkets. At least with Mexican markets, you will still get the brand name items. Also, Kirkland is the superior store brand.

A time machine back to 17th Century Africa

honestly I don't know

only thing I can think is because they save a lot on overhead by not hiring more than 3 employees, no in store music fees, no advertising signs, etc.

1 employee manages the whole store
produce is all cheap garbage on the verge of spoiling
they only get seasonal stuff

>How do they do it?
poor interior lighting

>poor interior lighting
Kek, this seems to be true for every single store. I'd never really paid attention to the fact until you pointed it out. That and hiring a minimal amount of minimum wage local teenagers who have an aversion to manning the tills.

never been into one of these fuckin places, ama

Walmart tier re-branded for wypipo

Correct me if Im wrong- to make Aldis work, I have to shape my list to what they have, not the other way around, is that it?

People love this place, but I go in and dont see the things Im looking for and never recognize the brands.

It must be me, cuz a lot of people swear by them.

In Germany? Worse products.
Or at least weirdly-shaped vegetables.

>How do they do it?

We studied this in the marketing class I'm in, but I didn't pay attention.

>17th century Africa

Oh really? And just who was colonizing Africa in the 1600's?

Have you ever been to aldis?

>aldis
>s

All of their meat is previously frozen, they only start to let it defrost as stock goes down.

90% of all the produce at my Aldi are the same brands as what I can buy in the regular grocery stores. However if I don't use Aldi's stuff within a few days its completely rotten, so I suspect they get old stock from local places

Pretty much their only thing that needs to be fresh is their milk.

Bullshit, mexican supermarket name brand stuff is more expensive, however the offbrand stuff is cheaper.

What you can get there, that you can get at other supermarkets, are the things I try to buy.

I don't buy meat or frozen foods or produce. Only things like canned food, chicken broth, butter, whole grain mustard, snacks, juice, and other unperishables.

Dutch

cutting overhead
few employees
re-branding generics/govt surplus
aggressive expansion model
their profit margins are still probably comparable to a conventional grocery store but they win much harder in terms of units.

He's probably from the Midwest . Every store gets a 's on the end

The freshness of most of their stuff is questionable. Okay value I guess.

poor selection, poor quality, poor service, poor location

at least at the one i went to in new england

It's right before my main shop I'll go there first and buy whatever they have in my list , meat, veg etc (usually about half the list) then the more niche things I get from the next shop. I save a fuckton

I think they pay $11 starting

Shit, I figured this was the case. I remember when I was in college I was at a career fair and they were there. They were trying to get me sold on becoming management. I almost bought it and applied but ended up getting a job somewhere else. The whole pitch was
>become a management trainee
>after so many months you get to "manage your own store"
>starting pay they said was "almost $70k/yr"

Looking back on it I guess it would make sense. Hire one guy at 70k/yr and work the fuck out of him vs hiring a bunch of part timers.

Aldi. Please read.

Aldi rebrands quite a few more well known brands as well. If I remember correctly Red Baron and their pizzas come from the same factory, but Aldis will buy overruns or end of run units which is still profitable to the mfg but unneeded by grocery distributors and the stores they sell to. Because Aldi has rotating items they have a greater negotiating ability for vs traditional stores which don't drop/rotate products as often, and will buy just about anything. Aldi is also larger than most regional chains which helps with negotiating, similar to Walmart.

Nope Aldi's in my area is starting at $14. Not even shitting you. The food is cheap because the less than acceptable food is sent to Aldi for a cheaper price. Some food even molding along the way. This food in Walmart's eyes should be trashed or given to donation centers but that's where Aldi makes its' money. Sure they have a couple good blocks of cheese and whatnot but most produce is poor quality stuff.

In Germany the new Aldis look really nice, comparable to the new Lidls and Edekas. However they are much lower on personell, stock a different and usually smaller selection but provide weekly deals for not only groceries but miscellaneous stuff.
Many college students get most of their stuff from Aldi, only their booze from Edeka or Rewe.

>hey I forgot to bring a quarter
>do you have one?
>"no"
>ok let's just go inside and get change
>"I only have my credit card"
>fuck, me too
>"are there any quarters in the cupholder?
>"no"
>WELL I GUESS WE'RE GOING BACK HOME THEN

Why do shopping carts cost a quarter, aldi?
If someone steals your cart, they also have the quarter.
What the fuck guys?

The place that used to have quarter carts where I live (this was years ago) also had the parking lot be basically a bunny slope angled hill. Locking the carts of to some fat twat didn't just fling their cart and have it roll down hill into cars made sense but too many people complained about it so they got rid of the rent a cart part.

I've overheard a conversation between two employees at my local Aldi sometime ago.

Apparently the booze goes really fucking well. Which I find weird because I think their booze is terrible.

Is that not a thing in the US?

Here in the UK pretty much every supermarket trolley requires £1 (lots of people use plastic replacement things instead) to unchain it from the others, and then you get it back when you chain it back up again. I think it is a great system, before hand people just dumped the things in the car park and fucked off so it wasn't uncommon for the wind to catch one and send it flying into a car.

Hardly an inconvenience when you get used to it, and baskets are still there if you are only going in for a couple of things.

Thanks for sharing

The ones round my way always have a different selection of local stuff each time you go in and it is very cheap. Lots of interesting beers etc. Their own brand Glen Marnoch whisky has bottlings from Highland, Speyside, and Islay distilleries which presumably is stuff that doesn't meet their requirements or is quite young. Either way, it is very cheap and tastes good, especially the Islay one

Oh I didn't know what the actual purpose was, but keeping carts out of the parking lot makes sense. Saves them one employee.
Thanks for explaining, it was unclear.

Germanfag here
I'm an employe at my local Aldi and Ich can Tell you why they are successfull.
Renee those concentration Camps wenn Used to have during WW2?
Guess What, they still exist, nur now they called Aldi!

>German 'humour'
Stick to engineering Hans

No worries. There are always areas in the car park where you put them, then an employee will take them all to the front of the shop every now and then so you don't have to go all the way back to the shop to get your coin back.

It is annoying when you forget a coin though.

I find Aldi to be no cheaper than just buying homebrand at woolworths, and at woolworths I don't have to pay for bags

What the fuck Woolworths. Are you a time traveler from the 1920s?

dumb phoneposter

by placing just that tiny bit of personal value to the customer in each cart, they save the trouble of needing a guy to corral the bulk of them.

I'll hook you m8

low cost staffing model, like walmart

Regional manager for Aldi in Germany here.
The biggest cost for any grocery store are the wages of the employees. Aldi pays more than it's competition but cuts down on people working in the store.
There will be always less people working at an ALDI than at a LIDL that's making the same revenue.
That's why the turnover rate at ALDI is so high. The pay for unskilled personal is quite good but it's pretty tough to work at a store for years.
44 people that have been working for me for years have quit the last quarter alone while only about 70 new people have gotten jobs in my district. At least 3/4 of the new people will quit before their 5th paycheck.
I have 5 stores and each of them has increased revenue by 11%-24% when compared to the last year but my superiors still demand that I'll cut the hours of my employees working in a store at a given time.
Seriously, don't work at ALDI unless you desperately need money.

Back to the topic, most of the stuff we sell has a very low markup for our profit. While other stores will make 5c of profit for a sold joghurt we'll only make 1c but sell 5 times as many.
Cutting costs and increasing quantity is how we can sell stuff this cheap.
Our food quality isn't even that bad when compared to supermarkets (just stay away from our bread and meat, the fish is fine)

Walmart doesn't make you buy bags, or make you bag your own purchases. Aldi is meh tier.

750g of cream cheese 3€ when 1kg in other stores are 5-6 €...

What's so tough about the work exactly?

you have to be fast as fuck. First thing you do in the morning is to pack about 4-5 Europallets that are stacked 1.5m to 1.8m high with rather heavy boxes of vegetables and fruits. You'll have like 90minutes for that.
Than the average store gets like 30 Europallets of food 3 times a week and between 6-15 Europallets of non-food twice a week. My stores also usually get 1-3 Europallets of frozen goods 3 times a week. All the while there are only 3-4 people working at the store (1-2, sometimes 3 have to sit at the cash desk).
The work wouldn't be so hard if you could slack off for a second but you have to be fast all the time because every second is precious.

forgot pic related.
It's definitely a job for men but the majority of applications are from women.

Yeah sounds tough for a woman. What's a shift 8 hours?

Yes on average 8 hours. 6 and 10 Hour shifts aren't unusual. Trainers wäre getting shafted with 9 hour shifts.

Aldi Nord or Süd?
Here in Denmark, Aldi is doing horrendous, despite having 225 stores, their marketshare is only ~2%.

Aldi Nord (lower saxony)

My condolences.

Isn't that because nearly every danish ALDI employee is either a clueless teenager, a senile 70 year ords or someone with brain-damage on a 2 hour flex-job?

>Kirkland is the superior store brand

I don't trust anyone who makes granola bars and toothpaste under the same name.

you cant get everything at aldis, but it's still a fucking amazing store. best part is, no coupons, no housewives with a bunch of kids. everyone there is just normal working people looking to save a little money. checking out takes about 6 seconds.

Nah, it's because their concept doesn't really work for the danish market. Lidl isn't doing too well either.
Aldis main issue is that there's little to no danish products, the stores are cold and uninviting and Aldi has been subject for criticism in the media.

>the stores are cold and uninviting
Yeah, the design looks like a retirement home for groceries, and it's always so fucking cluttered.

Rema 1000 is just way better for the market.

Certainly helps that the products in Rema 1000 are way better.

>that snooty Scandi going Aldi/Lidl isn't good enough for my (parents) fine tastes

every single time

ALDI is so Ill regarded not even the alcoholics will shop there.

Well, desu, I frequently shop at Lidl. Their selection of cold cuts is pretty good and their bake-off is superb.

It depends on the particular market. I know that some charge higher for grocery items, while making other aspects of the store cheaper (tortilleria, bakery, meat, hot foods).

Sometimes they are willing to break even on some products if they know it will make the customer more likely to buy more expensive grocery.

Don't know about America but in Germany their business model was grabbing suppliers by the balls.

They generated a huge demand with their low-income customers and made suppliers their bitch.

good strategy

thats stupid, aldi has the same standards as every other supermarketchain, arguably better vegetable/fruit than the ones with less turnover.

It is well known that the cheap "brands" come mostly from the same factoriesm the butter,milk etc is most often just identical quality no matter if you pay 1.50$ or .60$.
one of aldi's advantages is that they are branded as being cheap, people who shop there mostly dont give a shit about poor lighting,no employees,no brands - they want the best price.
And Aldi, because they are huge, can push prices solely because of their marketpower, in germany they dictate price of basic groceries i.e., and they also save money in all the other departments.
I rarely shop at aldi, im not big on processed food and got locally owned arab supermarkets which i really like, but aldi is basically the same as every other chain when it comes to quality, just cheaper, with housebrands and a little less of a choice.

they dont make it you mong they just contract with other manufacturers to sell it under their label

do you really think the same company would make cheese, golf balls, vodka, bed sheets, AND bacon?

2/10

This, my city's Aldi usually takes about 30 minutes to check out because only one register is ever open. They also save money on credit card fees by only taking cash.

My Aldi's takes card. U wot.

>made suppliers their bitch

That's pretty typical of large scale food retailers. Suppliers are so desperate to tap that huge market they'll accept a pittance for their products. It must pay off for them, otherwise I don't see why they would do it.

It's one reason that organic produce gets a bad name. These mega organic growers supplying enormous retailers are obviously using pyrethrin broad spectrum insecticides. But small and medium growers that you'll find at farmers markets or smaller groceries do not use them. They are concientious and diligent in their efforts to improve agriculture.

Fucking drives me crazy

Dad
>I'm going to Walmarts, want anything?

You're suppose to take the coin back out after you're done with the cart you massive cockhead.

>Steal your cart
Is this an american thing? Grand Theft Cart?

Anyone named Emma who goes to aldi is gay #btfo

portugal you silly bugger

Aldi is fucking weird. Or rather, my roommate and his dad are fucking weird. They have this Aldi obsession basically. Almost all of my roommate's electronics come from Aldi. It's some brand called Medion that they have inside locked glass displays in the stores. And my roommate has had several phones from there, his monitor is Medion, his desktop is Medion, and his old laptop was Medion. Probably more stuff. Most of it his dad bought for him, but he's bought Medion shit since too.
And it's all fucking shit too. And not even that cheap as far as I understand.
Who the fuck buys electronics in a fucking supermarket.

Makes it harder for kids to fuck with the carts. That tiny hurdle of having to have a quarter on you is often enough to make them go and do something else.

It also resonates with your inner jew, that you shouldn't throw money away so most people return them to get their coin back.

you can buy helicopter flights at aldi

Ein held bitte

>verge of spoiling

I fucking doubt it, whenever I buy my avocados, bananas I have to wait day or two for them to be ripe enough to eat.

>Is this an american thing?

Or like a Mexican thing. When Mexican "immigrants" move into your neighborhood, soon thereafter, it will be littered with shopping carts.

Midwest cuck here, Only my half retarded aunt says this. Everyone else says words normallys.

>Is this an american thing? Grand Theft Cart?
Yes. Every time I go to aldi there is at least one guy who stole a cart from Wal-Mart for his shopping trip at aldi. The guy will roll his cart into the train with him on the way home.

Nice roll retard.

true dat. Netto is just nasty m8

Yea there's my regular grocery list and my aldi's grocery list. you have to familiarize yourself with the brands

Why can't Aldi into alcohol? It's literately the only thing that lets me still enter a REWE.

Many of their store brand items are actually name brand items. I've heard that their Kirkwood Chicken is actually Tyson chicken, just under a different package. The Kirkwood Gluten Free Chicken nuggets are the same exact ones that I buy under the Wegmans brand. The Wegmans brand is $2.00 more per bag.

go to lidl

Netto often offers the surplus of Edeka, just as Penny offers the surplus of Rewe because they belong to them. Sometimes you can get sweet deals there.

Holy fucking shit $4.44 Canadian for a fifth?
How are you still alive? That's astronomically cheap.

it's €

It's regularly 4,99€, sometimes goes down to 3,99€
And apparently it isn't even that bad
wodkablog.de/wodka-test/putinoff-premium-vodka-lidl/

You have frog language on your ads too?
That's still $4.70 USD. Astounding.

How dumb are you?

I might be going to Aldi today, wish me luck bros

Great deals and cute cashiers may come to you