What was dinner in your home like growing up? Was it a family affair? Were your parents good cooks...

What was dinner in your home like growing up? Was it a family affair? Were your parents good cooks? Did they teach you anything?

On weekdays my mom would microwave a large mac and cheese and put out some ham slices if she wasn't too drunk. Otherwise we made PBJs for ourselves. Usually watched wrastlin or ate in the yard if nothing was on.

On the weekends my dad would order a pizza and we all sat in front of the tv and watched reruns of flipper.

My mom was a great cook and we ate family dinners regularly until my two older sisters left home. Then she bought a George Forman grill and I had to cook for myself.

It's not until I just typed that story out that I noticed it might be sad.

>mom was good cook
>she could cater to my family's needs
>family was pretty fat(overweight growing up)
>mom would cook healthy meals to cater as such
>always food and dinner every night
>always multiple entrees
>always healthy
>sometimes would complain about how boring our food was
>mom said something to me that stuck to me now I am older
>"One day you'll miss my food"
>am obese and eating junk food like crazy
>look unhealthy
>miss moms food...
>miss the greens

My mom is a blunt woman that used to cook Great Depression reminiscent dishes like
>rice, cheese, and canned tuna casserole
>pita full of bacon, and spinach dip
>box scalloped potatoes and unseasoned ham
>Kraft dinner with ketchup and hot dogs
>one can of cream of mushroom soup and one can of tomato
>frozen lasagna
We would eat at the table as a family though. Even though we were really poor and all of us lacked culinary talent or the capacity/luxury to train or improve.
However, my mother is the only one I know that can flawlessly trap, gut, and cook a wild turkey during the holidays
She can also build a shelter and start a fire with her bare hands in -30 C weather, so I think I'd take her over the rest of you practiced chef cucks after the Trumpocalypse starts

Who let you out of containment

I came to the realization that close to ALL cooks, chefs, whatever, had parents which were also familiar with cooking (good to excellent cooks).

It seems there's no middle grounds and it also seems that this trait pass to the children.

>meat with vegetables/salad most nights
>parents were average cooks
>dad forbid tv during dinner
nothing exciting, looking back my parents weren't amazing cooks but they were good enough to feed 3 kids, now that my brother and I have moved out they've started experimenting more with cooking

this is sad

There is a middle ground. My parents are good cooks but I honestly never bothered to learn much from them. I got interested in cooking for myself once I got interested in keeping my body in peak health. Ended up thinking cooking is pretty lit, and so I enjoy cooking now. I've learned a lot of cooking skills thanks to youtube and just searching it up, with some trial runs to see how I like my food. It's sad I'm a better cook than most the people my age and my specialties are still breakfast, lol! But anyone can learn to cook with the desire.
morbidly sad bro, I shed a tear reading that.

as for responding to OP... my family ate together every night before my parents divorced when I was young. Still ate with my mother and sister for some years after, across the country and dirt poor (but tasty) food. Dinners in the apartment on an old white table.....
sometime it became us eating in front of the TV... when she remarried we only occasionally had meals together, we ran off to our own spots to eat. Eventually it became never at all, to hardly seeing eachother and now me never seeing my family due to work, to the point it's been 2 years since I shared a meal with any family.... even on holiday...
;-(

Single mother who couldn't cook. Meal times were never a family affair. Usually fast food or shit like egg noodles + cream of mushroom soup + can of tuna or frozen dinners. But other people in my family can cook, and though they never taught me I have a knack for it. Now that I'm an adult I make sure to buy fresh meats, veggies, etc. and cook real food for my roommates and make a big deal about all of us eating together. Gonna make some chicken + broccoli + spinach pasta tonight; got them breasts marinating rn. Also going to make some dank banana bread when I wake up. Nothing fills the void of an empty childhood like working til 2 am, coming home to slave in the kitchen for an hour, and sitting down with the people you love to eat and talk.

if we had enough money for a family dinner, it was usually meat and some mac and cheese or w/e

if not, i would just eat ketchup sandwiches or cereal out of a box

>user, unload the dishwasher.
>user, set the table.
>user, clear the table.
>user, unload the dishwasher.

After about a year of this with my brothers and sisters not helping at all my parents realized how unfair it was.

my parents were both pretty bad-mediocre cooks but their food was edible (most of the time)
we ate together until i was like 11 and they got separated, then they both just stopped cooking entirely and i had to fend for myself
became a pretty good cook out of the whole ordeal i guess so it wasn't all bad

You should visit your family if they live close by

>but i still smear my misery all over the internet seeking for sympathy instead of fixing my problem

>trumpocalypse
The beginning of the end is built of distrust and paranoia user. Live well

Both of my parents were career people. Workaholics.They'd lazily toss shit in the oven at 6pm, we'd eat at 7:30 or so, also bland boring food and just wait for the weekend. We'd go out to eat every Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings. Parents on 2 way pagers, phones and responding to beeps throughout. Always a good time.

What asians are these? Are they masterrace Japanese asians or are they copycat Korean ones? Or heartless robot chinese ones? I've always wondered about this picture.

>What was dinner in your home like growing up?
15 minutes of silens then all return to their rooms

>Was it a family affair?
Only if potatoes needed peeling, my mother'd be totally stressed out when cooking but she'd get even worse if anyone helped.

>Were your parents good cooks?
My mother was the master of limp salad, tomato soup "spaghetti" and tin-foil chicken.
My father, was a drunk who'd come home with ingredients and then sleep untill midnight.

>Did they teach you anything?
Cooking for myself I guess.

Who's your favourite wrestler though?

I wonder if they regret the fact that they didn't know their children now that you're (presumably) grown.

I'd like to think they're Japanese.

Mom quit working until all the kids were in high school, so she cooked everyday. We were lower middle class. We ate dinner as a family unit at the table. Always meat (chicken, pork or beef), a starch (potatoes, rice or pasta), a salad and one or two vegetables. Fruit for dessert. No one in my family to this day is overweight. My only complaint with her cooking was the vegetables were generally canned and she cooked the shit out of them because of "muh botulism." I still use a couple of her recipes for the main dish, though. Us kids fought like cats and dogs, but all in all a pretty traditional happy childhood.

Everyday was the same thing:

2 cans of microwaved vegetables, no seasoning
Boiled chicken breast or boiled

No seasoning, not even salt or pepper. I was 20 before I found out that a Spice Rack wasn't just a "fancy" decoration in "rich" people houses

My mom could cook well and we did family dinners until I was 13 in her house, and then I started eating alone due to depression shit. She taught me to cook somewhat.

My father was a drunk who when he bothered to cook, taught me a ton, but I started cooking my own dinners and eating alone at 7 in his house.

I learned to love cooking at a young age and would experiment as much as I possibly could.

>all these drunkard parents

They're Wall Street types. They're both 61yo and still working 80hr weeks. I'm 33. I had a great childhood, just bad food most of the time, or take-away cuisine. Their faces went ghost white when I told them I chose to attend Culinary School instead of their Alma Mater (Princeton) as a young adult. Wound up with a useless BPS degree and went back to school at Tufts. Worked out.

Mom was a great cook. My favorites are her spaghetti sauce and meatballs as well as her roasts. I used to sit on the counter and watch her in the kitchen. That's where my interest in cooking came from.

My mom would get us kids to 'help' in the kitchen since toddling age. I learned a lot of cooking skills from her. We would have a family dinner every night. I feel very lucky.

Also celebrated holiday food traditions like making Christmas cookies/elaborate gingerbread houses, or decorated hardboiled eggs for easter. Thanksgiving is a big affair too.

Mick Foley aka Mankind aka Cactus Jack

overcooked casseroles on weekdays
pizza on Fridays
Dad cooked on Saturday and made awesome stuff
Sunday was a wild card