>six years ago
>confused about life
>Veeky Forums tells me to read philosophy, gives me a list
>work through the Greeks, Hume, Bacon, Kant, Kierkegaard, Nietzsche, and Camus
>finally getting around to Heidegger
>feeling that I've accomplished absolutely nothing
>would have been better off getting a gym membership

Want to trade these brains for gains.

gains take like two years, three hours a week, plus hitting your macros, which takes no extra time, to acquire
you could've and should've done both

As said.

What makes you think you have to choose one or the other?

Should've done yoga and learned a martial art instead. Better for your mental health than reading pseudointelluctual posturing and more practical applications than useless muscles.

sh-shut up!

>not doing both while leading a degenerate lifestyle on the side

>he doesn't both read AND lift
Sure is pleb in here

Why not just start lifting now OP? It's not like you have anything to lose.

>he doesn't have an hour to spare three times a week

tool

It's not that simple though.

>paying for the opportunity to lift heavy things up and down
I cannot think of a more usurious/jewish practice

Well you can buy weights, a benchpress and lifting bars, and do it yourself.

bodyweight exercises too

>buying things with no other value than being heavy
you could you know.. use the ground and leverage and such. or maybe you think great armies of old won their battles only after they hit the 24hr fitness

I didn't say that at all, though

and I didn't say this either

work out at least three times a week with a good programme and learn a bit about your diet and how to fix it for a start

it's not that easy, but it's not something complicated either

>you could you know.. use the ground and leverage and such

Sure. You can do whatever you want as long as you elevate your heartrate to above rest, as far as I am concerned.

The point is that just because a gym might be a retarded concept doesn't mean working out is.

>NOT DOING BOTH
WHAT THE FUCKKKKK

neither of you know anything about fitness, you're spooked to fucking hell, and you're completely retarded

the fittest armies have all used gyms with dedicated equipment

Let's be honest here, OP.

You haven't read any of those philosophers.

You created this thread to start a debate (shitposting) about Veeky Forums over Veeky Forums.

>the fittest armies have all used gyms with dedicated equipment

Tbqh, in my country's army it isn't that common to be a gainsmonkey in a gym lifting weights.

It's much more common to train specifically for army-related tasks, by doing exercises such as calisthenics, running, swimming and walking long distances with a heavy sack.

based norwaybro

Damn, that's some sixth sense shit man.

that's because those activities are cheap and cheaply portable

special operations units, ie people who do the fighting, lift weights

look up mountain athlete or gym jones or whatever; military athletes train like athletes

>that's because those activities are cheap and cheaply portable

No, it's because if you train weights to the extent that you yourself weight 200 pounds, you're actually dragging a lot of weight around, which can be detrimental to a mission.

I mean, if you weigh 200 pounds yourself, and you're carrying a 80 pound rucksack, you're going to be a massive slowpoke.

>I mean, if you weigh 200 pounds yourself, and you're carrying a 80 pound rucksack, you're going to be a massive slowpoke

Confirmed for never having served. That is not how it works.

>you either dont lift, or you're a fucking monster
also, 200 pounds is fucking nothing, and it would not slow anyone down.

>Confirmed for never having served. That is not how it works.

Yes, it is, and I have served. My country has conscription you mongoloid.

you're an idiot
I sometimes forget is what skinny people tell themselves

>you either dont lift, or you're a fucking monster

That's not what I said though. What I said was that the point of the military is to be fit so you can complete a mission, not a retarded gorilla.

All but one or two of these guys weigh upwards of 200 and I guarantee you they not only lift regularly but would also out-perform skellymode recruits in pretty much any physical task conceivable be it endurance running or an assault course

And yet every NATO exercise "these guys" do in my country, they get destroyed.

hahahaha, do you think nato exercises are competitions?

man is conscripted into army along with every single one of his peers, derives his sense of masculinity from association with norweigian rangers/sof, despite having almost nothing to do with them, that is, no more connection to them than any of his adult neighbors

>Want to trade these brains for gains.

Why? Your body is just going to rot anyway.

"those guys" are SEALs but ok

>do you think nato exercises are competitions?

Well, they aren't on paper, but that's certainly the way it is for the boots on the ground.

every run of the mill recruit everywhere in the world believes his or her country's special forces units, and him or her by dubious association, is better than everyone else's

put aside your norwegian pride for a brief moment and think about what sorts of factors might make for a special operations force that's better than any other

the biggest special operations budget, per serviceman, in the world?
sounds like a good candidate

experience in many wars?

access to the world's best training facilities and weaponry?
yep, seems reasonable

being norwegian?
I doubt it, my man, I doubt it

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

It *might* be due to the climate here. The US soldiers are not used to the amount of snow we got, which is exactly why they come to us.

I do agree with you about lifting vs other forms of physical training, but it's more about striking a good balance. Lifting definitely has its merits.

kek
I picture Genghis khan getting pissed off because his swipe card didn't work the first time he tried to get into the 24hr gym and then he watched as Chad used the bench but didn't wipe it down afterwards.
Also, why are they forcing the great Genghis Khan to wear flipper floppers in the showers?!

I have literally nothing to do with the Navy SEALs, I derive no pride from my association with them, because I have none

the reason they were brought up, if you recall, was to refute your claim that the best soldiers don't lift weights

this defense is thus intended to reinforce the argument against your false claim by listing reasons to believe that navy seals are the best soldiers, which, when taken in combination with the fact that navy seals lift weights, refutes your claim that the best soldiers do not lift weights

we could go about it other ways, like perhaps by arguing that norwegian special forces do lift weights, or that your reasoning for your initial claim was faulty because your capacity to lift things increases at a rate of more than 1 unit of weight lifted per unit of weight of muscle tained

I recognize those bulges.

>Lifting definitely has its merits.

And I never said it didn't.

> if you train weights to the extent that you yourself weight 200 pounds, you're actually dragging a lot of weight around, which can be detrimental to a mission.

your thesis, to the extent that it applies to the argument presented in the post you were responding to, has been refuted

Yeah, but the point is that you're totally mistaking my argument that the military has goals that extend beyond mere gainsmonkeying in a gym. That was my only argument.

But instead you had to become butthurt about me being overly jingoistic about my own country's army, and start shitposting your Americanism everywhere.

Your materialistic piss-excuse for a nation can get nuked for all I care.

shoulda done ss + gomad

Caesar asking Brutus to spot him while benching heavy.

>it's a Veeky Forumslets discuss lifting episode
This board is about literature my friends

nothing I said suggested that lifting weights was all that mattered to being fit in the way that people in the military need to be fit; the original argument was levied at a post that suggested that you don't need to lift weights because ancient armies didn't lift weights

I don't know if this is a product of conscription, but shortly after I mentioned and questioned the grounds for your norwegian military pride, you suggested that the country I live in should be nuked, for all you care -- you lost an argument, got hurt feelings, and had what we call a temper tantrum

I'm not a huge fan of America, either, this wasn't a transnational pissing contest until you decided to piss all over the floor here and it's okay, take some deep breaths and have a nice day -- that's what my mom always told me when I was a little kid and I got so mad at her that I said she could die, for all I care

>I'm not a huge fan of America

Yeah, I'm sure.

shh shh shhhh

I sort of did both, although I havent read as much as you have

Getting fit honestly didnt do much, if your life can be fixed by picking up objects and performing rapid bipedal movements then it wasnt that bad to begin with, it didnt get me that far, other than now my chest looks like a weird rock formation rather than just being flat

There are no fit patricians.
All patricians are skinny, smoking, excessive coffedrinkers.
This is a fact, you can try to dispute me, but it won't make a difference.

Socrates was not only ripped, he was FUCKING ripped. Pretty much every Greek philosopher, poet, tragedian, and so on would have been, because they were all adult male citizens, and either had to fight in the army or (later) row in the fleet. Or both.

People underestimate the level of physical exertion these things required. These guys worked out EVERY day. They worked out so much that they actually liked working out. They lived to work out. Their entire leisure time was composed of working out and getting gay over how hot their bods were in the balmy Mediterranean sun. The first ten fucking pages in Plato's FIRST dialogue have Socrates lusting over a teenager's sweaty, manly pecs through his toga. Socrates likens himself to a lion that is about to gobble up its prey. He can barely control himself. That is how the Western philosophical tradition starts: homoerotic lust for ripped abs. When Alcibiades, the manliest man in history, bursts into the famous drinking party, at which the guests are discussing the urbane topic of Love, it is to ask Socrates why he never fucked him in the ass when they cuddled. You know how the dialogue ends? Socrates goes to the gym and works out.

Modern recreations and reconstructions have not even succeeded in duplicating the physical feats reported of the Athenian soldiery - that is, the Athenian citizenry. Often, modern historians doubt that these feats are even being accurately reported, for instance the straight dash of the Athenian army across the entire field at Marathon. This is because modern athletes and bodybuilders can't even do these things, even with relatively light gear compared to what the Athenians actually carried. It took a team of Olympic master rowers to even APPROXIMATE the sailing techniques of the Athenian fleet, outside of combat conditions, on a placid sea. The entire Athenian fleet was regularly capable of these maneuvers, season after season, year after year, campaign after campaign. The sole engine of these maneuvers was muscle. Raw, sweaty, heaving Athenian muscle. Athenian men were the envy of the Aegean.

It is understandable that modern historians, coming from a society of flabby, skinnyfat wimps, are unable to comprehend the sheer manliness of Athens. Socrates saved Alciabiades in a hoplite battle in the Peloponnesian War. Aeschylus, the tragic poet, fought at Marathon. And all of them worked out and fucked ass, at every moment they weren't literally inventing Western civilisation.

>skinny fat cucks try to prove how they don't need to be and look healthy because they are """""""intellectuals"""""""

stay lazy, my pseud friends, and keep romanticizing the degenerate lifestyle

foursquare in mind and body, charming, convincing, competent, confident

geniuses are often few of these things, but it's only okay because they're geniuses
why would you style yourself after a genius when you aren't one?

you have to work with what you have, and that means getting good to the extent that you can

>why would you style yourself after a genius when you aren't one?

SAVAGE
A
V
A
G
E

Fucking really, how much time a week do you really need to stay reasonably fit? An hour at most every other day?

>existentialism

There's your problem.

Kek

Why would you do that, just go on the internet and tell lies..

Pretty much. If you're not a complete skeleton or hamplanet you can basically just do ~30-45 minutes of dumbbells and run 3 miles a couple of times per week, won't take you much more than ~3 hours total. You won't be jacked but you'll look and feel better than 90% of the population (in America, at least).

shut up you ignorant fucking nazi

you sad little anti-Semite go back to /pol/ and infowars you fucking shithead you are ignorant idiot

kek

triggered. go the fuck back to plebbit you faggot

they all look like Village People road tour fan club or something

It does look like a gay party, yes.

>posting jon hamm reaction picture
i can just picture your dead emotionless autistic face giving the most pathetic smirk

>>finally getting around to Heidegger
but that means you've read husserl which would make it hard to feel like you accomplished nothing. wait until you get to wittgenstein for that

You found that picture by googling "gay sailors", didn't you?