If there were no eternal consciousness in a man, if at the bottom of everything there were only a wild ferment...

>If there were no eternal consciousness in a man, if at the bottom of everything there were only a wild ferment, a power that twisting in dark passions produced everything great or inconsequential; if an unfathomable, insatiable emptiness lay hid beneath everything, what would life be but despair?

What did he mean by this?

memes

>I'm a pussy

>>What did he mean by this?
that he is a hedonist. Hedonists cannot bear the data that any experience is just not personal nor eternal nor controllable. THey think that understanding this leads to death or sadness.

It means he's against nihilism

d r a m a q u e e n

He's saying if there was only nothingness and nothing grand or above ourselves in the universe, that life would be nothing but despair and misery; you're supposed to draw the conclusion that because life is sometimes happy and wonderful, there must be something more

basically because man has the capacity to feel beyond nihilistic tendencies, it's self-evident that there is something (not nothing) that is fundamentally part of man.

->Kierkegaard a hedonist

Kek

pleb

>eternal consciousness
>bottom of everything
>passions
>great or inconsequential
>insatiable emptiness
>despair

too many spooks to make sense of it

It meant he was blowing out nihilist fucking shits

Was Stirner the perfect storm of simplistic garbage and edgyness to attract the Veeky Forums dipshit crowd?

nigga if u was face to face with me u wouldnt say that shit u know why cuz id beat the fuck out of u

>Kierkegaard
>hedonist
show me your math on that

your fuckin gay

Stirner literally provided the Veeky Forums dipshit crowd with an impenetrable meme shield. they don't even need to understand what they're saying, they just have to skim the wiki and boom, now you can jump head first into every philosophy thread blurting out "spooks" at everything that involves using your brain

Your quads can't save you from your newfaggotry aura.

Much like Nietzsche, that we're driven not by our deliberate, "will what you will" conscious choices, but competing, dark, passionate drives, and they're not only 'fake' because you don't control them but they're insatiable

>using your brain

ever notice how the most spooked dumbasses who think they're soooo smart and usually the palest frailest no pussy getting pussies to ever walk the face of the earth keep on thinkin pussy see where that gets u itll get u the same place it got kierkegaard DIE A VIRGIN

id beat the fuck out of both of u in real life where u guys from wanna meet somewhere and fight let me guess little babys too chicken bock bock

come on little babys ive got plenty of money to spare ill pay for the plane ticket we can meet anywhere u want hell come down here to mississippi and we can use my hog cage but im sure yall r way too ascared to fgiht me huh

ya thats what i thought smell u later losers i got some poetry to read

To see how good anything (let alone everything) can be, and to know there is a chance you will not have at it forever, is cause for sadness

I'm not either of them but I'll kick your ass any day

>argumentum ad consequentiam

Kierkegaard blows

THIS. This is why we do analytic phil - to show how empty the fancy sounding ramblings of e.g. Kierkegaard are.

what are 'spooks'?

t. newfag

some of the /r9k/ crowd seek self improvement and latched onto the lowest hanging fruit of armchair philosophies- Max Stirner. They don't actually, his philosophy is bit more involved than they think, they just browse his wiki page. But Stirner coined the term 'spooks' to everything in a person's life that affects them detrimentally, that they put above themselves, or that stands between them and being... whatever it is they're trying to be.
it sounds fine from a sedentary lifestyle standpoint. if you don't do anything it's easy to feel like you can do everything.
Stirnerfags here will blurt it out over literally anything and pretend they've contributed to the discussion.
They also think you're their property.

>if there was no eternal consciousness in man, I would be very sad
>I don't want to be sad
>therefore, man has eternal consciousness
>QED
what a fucking hack

Essentially if we die, and are no longer concious for the rest of eternity, then we must despair (according to him). But it doesn't matter really, because we can never really prove or disprove eternal conciousness, so who cares

God is real, take the leap of faith

The only thing i have faith in is myself. The rest is uncertainty

It's a matter of choice after all, isn't it.

Choose whatever is better for you. People that take on the task of finding "the" truth or whatever and go around telling everyone else is mistaken are so lost.

What I mean is. You have the freedom to choose your belief. And that is why Kierkegaard is an "existentialist" - because he regards faith as a personal choice, not as something passed on to you as a dogma.

Amirite guys?

>hedonist
stopped reading immediately

Nope.

It's about how neglecting the individual's impending death and the suffering of humankind, is needed for mankind and civilization to function without everyone going into crippling depression.
It's about thinking 'job well done' at the end of the day instead of seeing how relatively empty human life is.

existential crisis

>if there was no eternal consciousness in man, I would be very sad
>I am not very sad
>therefore, man has eternal consciousness
>QED

airtight

He meant he was a Xtian pussy afraid of death. I find the concept he proposes warms my heart.