Coil Gun Rifling

Would Rifling a coil gun affect accuracy or power in anyway?

It could probably improve accuracy since spinning the projectile makes it more likely to stay straight in flight

However some tanks have these projectiles that have fins to direct their movement for which I think spinning doesn't really help them because it's a missile at that point

Rifling improves the accuracy with longish bullets but not with spherical ones. It only depends on the shape of the projectile, not on what its accelerated by.

It's impractical without a reliable power source.

Why not just use FSDS?

assuming the bullet is copper it should work.
Just make sure you use the city power supply when you fire the gun.

Never heard of FSDS and cant find it on google

Most modern tank barrels are unrifled because modern tank rounds rely entirely on kinetic energy, rather than explosives. Having the round spin robs it of linear momentum.

Seeing as how railgun rounds would work similarly, it seems as though they're more likely to be fin-stabilized.

Thanks for the idea

Feels strangely

Why would you assume the bullet is made out of copper? In a regular coilgun the bullet needs to be made of a ferromagnetic or paramagnetic material, induction guns are a different story but much more complex and probably not what OP has in mind. The bullet doesn't have to be from a soft material itself though, it can be equipped with a driving band.

APFSDS = Armor piercing fin stabilized discarding sabot
I took out AP because the round doesn't necessarily have to pierce armor in this case

This is a coil gun, not a rail gun.

A rail gun is simpler but somewhat more difficult to achieve due to the fact that the rails need to be very closely aligned and the massive flow of electricity tends to erode the rails quickly due to arcing.

I think new approach is necessary,any repetitive usage is bound to cause irreparable damage because of the speed/material of the projectile.

The rifling is caused due to the explosive initial force on the bullet. It's impractical to rifle a projectile that doesn't start with force, but is accelerated. It's too risky it'll be caught and ruin the gun. Better to just create a pre rifled projectile or one with fins of some sort.

The projectiles are too hard and traveling too fast down the barrel for rifling to be practical, the rifling would get stripped off after only a few shots

OP says coil gun
wrong
>too fast
only because the maximal velocity that could theoretically be achieved is higher than with a regular gun, that doesnt mean the bullet HAS to be that fast
>too hard
what are driving bands

I have a coil gun question. What would be better?
Assuming both projectiles are the same mass, would the smallest possible projectile be better or a larger one? The projectiles are bullet shaped. X = diameter and length = X*4 aprox.

spinning also reduces the effectiveness of shaped charges

see the rail gun uses a machined projectile with fins

Smallest, drag is inversly proportional to crossectional area. There's a reason bullets are typically made from the densest materials.

I'LL TRY SPINNING, THAT'S A GOOD TRICK
Lightsabers too

But that's wrong retard

[math]\color{red} {\textbf{YEAH OR HOW ABOUT YOU FUCK OFF BACK TO} \underline{\textbf >>>/MLPOL/}}[/math]

[math]\color{red} {\textbf{YEAH OR HOW ABOUT YOU FUCK OFF BACK TO} \underline\textbf{>>>/MLPOL/} } [/math]

[math] \color{red} {\textbf{YEAH OR HOW ABOUT YOU FUCK OFF BACK TO} \underline{\textbf >>>/MLPOL/} } [/math]

[math] \color{red} {\textbf{YEAH OR HOW ABOUT YOU FUCK OFF BACK TO} \underline{\textbf{>>>/MLPOL/}} } [/math]

[math] \color{red} {\textbf{YEAH OR HOW ABOUT YOU FUCK OFF BACK TO } \underline{\textbf{>>>/MLPOL/}} } [/math]