What are your personal opinions on these books recommended by NdT? Are they any good?

What are your personal opinions on these books recommended by NdT? Are they any good?

brainpickings.org/2014/12/29/neil-degrasse-tyson-reading-list/

Other urls found in this thread:

brainpickings.org/2014/12/29/neil-degrasse-tyson-reading-list/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

This never stops being funny

Huh?

Newfag detected

Yeah, so tell me something I don't know on the topic.

No.

Then shut the fuck up.

Hella.

F*ckin'.

Epic.

*nods respectfully at you*

>The Wealth of Nations (public library; free ebook) by Adam Smith, to learn that capitalism is an economy of greed, a force of nature unto itself

Like most people who recommend Wealth of Nations he probably never read it because it is almost the opposite of what he says.

It's a list without any theme other than "lituh-rally Rebbit". The books are good but I wouldn't recommend them to everyone. His interpretations are pretty much wrong but he is an astronomy and science teacher so I don't care.

What does Wealth of Nations say?

Smith is mostly describing a process that is already occurring but people take it as something that he is encouraging, he has some doubts about industrialization but he tries to be more impartial. Marx is actually similar in this regard (at least in Capital) but "capitalists" hate his guts because he points out their ability to exploit the labor of others.

Smith spends a lot of time explaining why aristocratic landowners are total shits that make money off of rents when they contribute nothing productive to the economy. The whole greed is good nonsense is largely absent from the book yet that is what most "capitalists" will argue that is what Smith wanted.

There are also sections where he illustrates the need for labor unions because workers are no match for owners individually, and the owners will often form cartels to exploit labor which he despised.

Georgism is something I'm reading about now which is in my opinion more aligned with what Smith wrote. The idea is that you don't tax income, sales, or capital gains (although I disagree somewhat on this last part) and instead tax only unimproved land value. This rewards industry and punishes rentiers.

The books are good but his reasons for reading them are shit.

How is that the opposite of
>capitalism is an economy of greed, a force of nature unto itself
?

Is Gulliver's Travels any good? Also, Prince, Wealth of Nations and Age of Reason patrician tire stuff?

>brainpickings.org/2014/12/29/neil-degrasse-tyson-reading-list/
I can't tell what's worse: this list or the dipshit whining about the lack of diversity in it.

By "the list" I mean the reasons he gives for listing those books.

Seem neat, and mostly accurate. Although, his complete misunderstanding of the purpose of religion is part of what has caused the degradation of society. He is, ironically, a prophet to a new religion of disbelief and ultimately, disinterest.

Gulliver's Travels is a very fun read, I would recommend it.

>The Bible
>to learn that it’s easier to be told by others what to think and believe than it is to think for yourself

look out everyone, we got ourselves a real deckle edgemeister here

Nothing wrong with most of those choices but it's clear that he's read none of them.

are you guys seriously taking the time to post about how neil degrasse tyson is an oblivious edgelord?

on Veeky Forums? in 2016?

such low hanging fruit

lol in all of his pics they capture him mid sniffing his own farts
i wish we could resurrect wittgenstein from the dead and have him go on the charlie rose show with neil degrasse tyson
10 minutes in he'd grab the camera from the camera man and bust open ndt's head and storm off the show

This board is full of different flavors of edgelords. It is only through the shaming of others that they can temporarily relieve the guilt from their own sins.