War and Peace Crossboard Reading Group

I was gonna re-read W&P over Christmas, and I’d been thinking about making a thread about it to sync up with anyone on the board who’s doing the same, when I had the idea that we could open up the reading group to Veeky Forums if anyone over there is interested in joining in, considering the central theme of the book is Veeky Forumstory.

Objectively 10/10 Reasons for joining this reading group:

>W&P is objectively the greatest novel ever written (inb4 Tolstoy said it wasn’t a novel; there’s cultural reasons for that)
>It’s the absolute 10/10 winter book for staying inside with a hot mug of something, by the frosted window-pane, with the snow falling.
>Veeky Forums’s official ideology (dubs-decided) is Tolstoian Christian Anarchism, so you gotta brush up on your Tolstoy guys, or you’re gonna get exiled
>It’s the greatest novel ever written
>It’s not a difficult meme-book, more than five people will make it to the end of the book without giving up.
>It’s the greatest novel ever written

Reasons for doing it cross-board w/ Veeky Forums:

>Why not?
>They probably know about Napoleon and dates and shit
>There are a huge number of cross-posters anyway, so it’d be pretty natural.
>It’s the greatest novel ever written and why not?

I guess we’d alternate it, a thread on Veeky Forums, then the next thread on Veeky Forums, and the discussion would be a variety of discussion about the book, and discussion about the context it engages. If you’re like me and you don’t know a whole lot about that context then that probably sounds pretty good (don’t lie user, you know you want to have Veeky Forums-autists tell you about the midget-man’s motivations invading Russia). Who’s up for it? If you don't think it could work we could just do a plain reading group for it, just on Veeky Forums.

Reply with “Yeah user, that sounds like a swell plan” or Pierre will tie your mother to the back of a bear and throw her into a river tonight

Other urls found in this thread:

gutenberg.org/ebooks/2600
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

selfish bump

I'd like to, but I'm barely 200 pages into The Idiot.
When do you plan in starting?

Yeah user, that sounds like a swell plan

I read anna karenina back in the day, why not
What translation?

I'm very easygoing, just some time over Christmas. Provisionally, I was going to suggest starting next weekend.

My translation is the Maude translation; that's the one I've seen most widely recommended, since they knew Tolstoy personally and he approved the translation. (I've got the Oxford World's Classics version if we're looking for a standardized text.)

>>W&P is objectively the greatest novel ever written (inb4 Tolstoy said it wasn’t a novel; there’s cultural reasons for that)

Anna Karenina is Tolstoy's greatest work you pleb.

The Maude translation is also available on Project Gutenberg.

gutenberg.org/ebooks/2600

lel

Anna Karenina
>811 pages

War and Peace
>like a billion pages

If it's so much better why's it got fewer pages hmm

low quality bait

It's not really bait

It's just a joke. A tongue-in-cheek lil jest

Are you okay user?

I'm on Veeky Forums do you think I'm okay?

I know exactly what you mean

Do people think fifty pages a day would be a reasonable expectation for reading W&P? We want to be moving fairly swiftly so folk don't lost interest

Fuck

Bump and prospective schedule I made. Pretty malleable at this point but I think the 25-day plan is pretty reasonable

Reply faggots

I've already read the book but don't expect it to work, people tried doing "book clubs" here and on Goodreads too but most of Veeky Forums users don't even read so they just leave after the initial enthusiasm, if they have any in the first place.

I'm up for it

To be fair, the kinds of books Veeky Forums tends to do book clubs for are dense arcane Pomo tomes so quite a lot of that dropout can be attributed to people realising they can't hack the difficulty of the texts. Whereas literally anyone can read war and peace.

Don't go by page numbers, but by chapters, since there are different versions. With Tolstoy, this will be a cinch due to his short-ass chapters basically being page numbers.

huh, I just finished it. Can't say it's the best novel ever, but it was nice. Good luck and have fun

Hello user, glad you still enjoy my Cortazar image from the RAYUELA thread I started earlier this week. How have you been?

Should I make a thread on Veeky Forums or just leave it?

There's no real science to the way I've divided it up, just roughly 50 pages a day in my edition, rounded up to the nearest chapter, with the occasional push to finish a section. Best thing to do would just be to divide your edition by 25 and use that as a guideline. I'll try and produce a version using chapters if this takes off though, since it would make things easier, it's just late where I am and I can't be fucked.

Yeah man, I'm doing good. I feel kind of bad using the ayy lmao man's picture since I've never read any of his stuff, but hey, it's Veeky Forums and who reads?

>Day 1
whens that?

also I agree with going by chapter instead of page number

I was thinking of starting next weekend, so I guess that'd be a thread on Saturday night for me in the UK, so you can check how that's gonna work based on your timezone.

I'm just done watching the 1966 film adaptation. It's really outstanding and surprisingly doesn't look date.

Next weekend sounds good!

I would be down for it but I'm already 800 pages in

Eh, well feel free to chip into the threads anyway so long as you use spoiler tags