What's Veeky Forums's opinion on the whole "gluten-free" thing?

What's Veeky Forums's opinion on the whole "gluten-free" thing?

Other urls found in this thread:

sciencealert.com/scientists-who-found-evidence-for-gluten-sensitivity-have-now-shown-it-doesn-t-exist
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coeliac_disease
onlysometimesclever.wordpress.com/2009/09/23/gluten-deteriorates-in-high-temps/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Just stop

Cool for people with celiac, useless fad for anyone else. There is zero scientific proof that "gluten intolerance" is a real thing, or even that it is healthier.

I wan't going to reply to you, but cmon man those are some sweet trips.

Gluten free bread is dry, flavorless and crumbly. Never eat it unless you genuinely have celiacs

Just another vehicle to glorify genetic dead ends and spend inordinate amounts of energy catering to their snowflake syndrome

Mirin those trips bro

I hate gluten free shit cause I make sure to do squats every day.

pretty cool considering i'm taking care of my grandma and she's got a moderate wheat allergy. with the huge gluten free fad she gets to enjoy some of the shit she's been missing out on for the last 40 years or whatever since she got diagnosed.

sciencealert.com/scientists-who-found-evidence-for-gluten-sensitivity-have-now-shown-it-doesn-t-exist

great for anyone who's allergic to it, completely pointless fad for anyone else

but hey because of this retarded trend more food have become glutenfree , increasing the versatility of glutenfree stuff

i still kek at food labeling themselves ad glutenfree even though they never had any gluten to begin with
pic related

This.

but is it low fat?

I love it. It confirms my opinion that we are growing more and more insane by the minute. The entire pseudo allergy game has become big business. I can't help but laugh at the fact we look like chickens scratching in a barnyard. The only hope is rejection of this shit and isolating yourself with perhaps a handful of citoyens as compatriots.

Science news is fake news
Or at least the claim of the article is not what you think it is.
The study doesn't analyse celiacs disease people, who still need gf food.
The result of the study is that subjects who had previously been diagnosed with Non Celiacs Gluten Sensitivity are not affected by gluten in their diet.
So Celiacs disease is a real thing, but otherwise eating gluten is just fine.

Not only that but pregnant women who refrain from eating gluten actually have a higher chance of giving birth to celiac children.

Imagine never being able to eat wheat because your mom bought into the gluten boogeyman.

People have intolerances outside of coeliac disease. Real or imagined it happens, I've seen a few people do FODMAP diets etc.. I agree it's a fad and personally think a lot of intolerances are perfectly and probably easily treatable but they exist.

On the other side of it some gluten free shit is pretty damn good and would maybe not exist otherwise. Brownies made with nut flours things like that.

>correlation = causation
What's it like being retarded?

I stopped eating gluten for 30 days one time. Afterwards, when I ate something with gluten in it, I got a migraine. I also realized that when it was a large part of my diet, I was more angry and irritable when hungry.

>correlation = causation
No one said that.

Just:
>pregnant women who refrain from eating gluten actually have a higher chance of giving birth to celiac children.

That's exactly what you're saying. You suggest that the reason some people won't be able to eat wheat is BECAUSE (caused by) a pregnant mother not eating gluten.

I'm celeac so I don't get a choice in the matter. Fucking hate the 'gluten is bad' folk, mainly because a lot of them half arse it and still eat small amounts, and it results in restraunts not fully taking the cross contamination thing seriously and leaves a bad name for the rest of us who have a genuine illness.

I saw a sign recently for a fish and chip shop who said gluten free batter was available, but the fish would be cooked in the same oil that the gluten containing stuff was cooked in. Simply catering to fad dieters whilst making it complicated for genuine celeacs.

One positive of it all though is that the fad dieters are creating more demand, resulting in more market interest and more gf products being created. There are a lot of decent breads, pastas and sweet stuff around now as a result so I cant complain too much.

There are people with actual gluten allergies and every day for them is hell.

I wonder what they think about their condition being a hipster diet like Atkins.

Gluten is fucking shit and even if you're not allergic or intolerant you should avoid it altogether.

cousin has celiacs. it kind of sucks. it turns out a lot of foods actually have gluten, like breakfast cereals.

I have a mild allergy to gluten, my stomach blows up after I eat any kind of bread or pasta, but I love it too much so I eat it anyway. I can't have it in the summer because of hayfever though

Retarded misguided fad, but I'm glad my pal with celiac's has slightly easier access to gluten-free shit, even if it's still really expensive..

The best thing to happpen to America. Gluten will make your dick fly off.

Some people genuinely need gluten-free food. A friend of mine developed a serious case of celiac while working in KFC.

The rest can go fuck themselves. Fuck faddy eaters; gluten is delicious.

Why is is seen in B&W? Either you have celiac or gluten is the food equivalent of Gandhi.

Because that's literally how it is.

Some people have Celiac disease and have honest, medically-verifiable health problems with eating gluten.

Those people who don't have the disease (i.e. 99% of the population) have zero problems with gluten.

...but like anything else you get a bunch of self-diagnosed whackjobs who think they have a problem with gutlen despite the complete lack of medical tests to back up their self-diagnosis. Sometimes these people will invent shit like "a gluten allergy" which is always good for a laugh because the symptoms they describe have nothing whatsoever to do with an actual allergic reaction. is a great example of this. If that person were honestly allergic to gluten then their mouth, lips, and tongue would start itching the moment they put a gluten-containing food in their mouth.

Wish there was more info on what it does to your body even if you don't have an allergy to it

If there is a clear trend between the two, that probably is the reason.
Or let me guess, just pure coincidence AMIRITE ANTI-GLUTEN SALESMAN? Nice try

Livestock-grade wheat vs food-grade wheat, the more the protein the higher the grade = fact. Now

either: global way to sell shit livestock-grade wheat products as a food-grade ones.

or: global way to have more grain sells thanks to gluten intolerant rice eaters who actually have children and future, as opposed of of us.

There's a very obvious alternative explanation - people who have a negative genetic reaction to gluten avoid it, and pass that genetic reaction to their offspring via genes rather than what they eat when pregnant. Until a study is performed where women are randomly assigned to gluten/no-gluten diets, we won't be able to know whether it's their eating habits that causes their children to be unable to process gluten.

What's the best flour to use for non-gluten baking?

It's easiest to just use flour that contains gluten and then pick it out after it's done baking.

kek

You do realize celiac disease is a real thing right?

And Free-Trade?

>.23ยข has been added to your account

Yep, it's all conjecture

Don't you need xanthan gum too or something?

>americans stop eating poisoned chemic wheat slurry
>feel better
>not angry
>not hypertense
>stomach issues cease

It's not a miracle guys, you just made sense of the poison the FDA was feeding you.

And free range ?

>snowflake syndrome
I am a sickly bastard because of it. It's deeply humiliating when I go out to eat. I start to sweat when I think they're going to mess my order up. I used to be healthy and strong. My favorite past time was boxing. Now I look like a skeleton with a bloated african belly.

I tried eating ramen noodles from a japanese restaurant without thinking a few weeks ago and that put pure gluten in my gut none of which I could digest.
I only recently found out. I was sick for 2 weeks just for that slip up.

Are...are you trying to use the description summary of a book as evidence?

If you're "gluten intolerant" you're a fucking moron. There's no such thing, all of humanity has relied of wheat for literally all of civilization.

If you're celiac, then you have an actual disease, and I don't know why the fuck people want to have it

Depends on what you're baking but no, not really

yes

>Cool for people with celiac
>There is zero scientific proof that "gluten intolerance" is a real thing

You literally just contradicted yourself

My mum has Coeliac Disease and it's a real thing.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coeliac_disease

Wait, I thought Coeliac disease developed when you were a kid

Our diets are just not the same as ancient humans to be fair.

You thought wrong.

Coeliacfag here.

Sure is fun to work in the restaurant business with this fucking handicap. Takes me 3 minutes to taste something not gluten-free, because I have to spit it out and wash my mouth afterwards.

Besides that, my only ass pain is with people treating me like I'm the same with the "hip" kids.

Whenever I'm eating out and ask about gluten-free shit, I get really bad looks from the other side of the pass.
So, thanks for the bad rep you fucking trendy 17 year old bloggers.

>Suddenly everyone and their mother is LARPing as celiac because it's le trendy thing to pretend to be disabled

Fuck all of you and kys. Celiac is less than 1% of the population, yet 90% of Veeky Forums "has it". I suspect you're just "gluten intolerance" faggots pretending to have celiacs so we don't judge you, worthless piles of nu-male trash.

get a load of this guy. I guess your a diatetic expert

>for people with celiac
>There is zero scientific proof that "gluten intolerance" is a real thing
Pick one

>You do realize celiac disease is a real thing right?

I'm sure he did. I think those are the people who he referred to as "genetic dead ends".

there's a diagnosable condition

isn't there another thing where you imagine yourself sick too

>there's a diagnosable condition
Yes, it's called celiac which is a gluten interpolate

Are you being retarded on purpose?

>isn't there another thing where you imagine yourself sick too
Hypocondria

>Yes, it's called celiac which is a gluten interpolate

Are you trying to say that celiac is the same thing as "gluten intolerance"?

Lol.

No, I'm saying celiac is an intolerance of gluten because it is

2/10 made me reply twice

This.

Just fucking pussies who are so devoid of personality that they make shit up to get attention.

What kind of symptoms do you get? Like lactose intolerant just shit their brains out I think

>No, I'm saying celiac is an intolerance of gluten

Retard confirmed.

For most people it's a fad. For some people it's a legit concern. I'm an unlucky some people, diagnosed by a doctor. Sucks, but it is what it is.

If I have gluten I get headaches, severe bloating, and constipation (lasting several days) as well as intestinal pain. So while it won't kill me, it's still pretty shitty.

I know your pain my friend. Well, not entirely. I don't have celiac's and that's a hell I wouldn't wish on anyone, but i'm allergic to nuts and I get dirty stares and whispers about being a "picky" eater when I ask something so simple as what oil they use to cook their food.

There's more to it than that

>That feel when no gf

>stop by store for some hummus
>the decent brand has 3 types: 1 good (garlic) and 2 bad (onion, pepper)
>the garlic type is usually sold out
>store puts "gluten-free" stickers on the two others' shelf label but not the garlic one

fuck off

I love bread. Honestly, if there's one food that I would say "this is my thing" it would be bread. There are so many variations, from that crunch of quality French loaves to soft bap - fuck. It really is the staff of life. But I was fucking tired all the time, and shitty, too. So my doctor recommended I go on an elimination diet, just to see if it was an allergy to something I was eating. I can eat wheat anymore. Two weeks off it cleared my system, and if I eat a croissant or a sandwich that isn't "gluten friendly!" (They say it with a smile. They say it with an exclamation point. They say it with disappointment in their eyes, suggesting I eat a meme diet.) I will be doing the most horrific farts and painful, stomach-cramping shits for about three days. I love bread. Don't tell me gluten intolerance is bullshit, or I'll come to your house, eat a sandwich, and occupy your toilet for a week.

That reminds me of when I went to an Amish market recently, they had gluten free bacon on sale.
>mfw

I have some form of fucked wheat allergy where it triggers my seasonal allergies.

I stopped eating wheat to test if some digestive issues I had were a cause of it under recommendation from a dietician and it cleared my horrendous seasonal allergies rather than fixing my poops.

I don't fucking know why it does this to me. I can stand a little bit and just get the sniffles for a day but before I stopped eating wheat I was a mess every spring.

It's especially annoying because my family refers to it as a gluten allergy and I keep correcting them, since none of the symptoms are the same, and as far as I'm aware it's not tied to gluten but some other part of the wheat. I can eat oats without having to worry at all (some oat varieties contain gluten).

On another note, something fucked is that the US and EU have different standards for gluten free. EU sets it below a specific PPM while the US just counts wheat. Soy sauce passes under EU standards because the brewing process chemically destroys the wheat while it's not in the US because there is wheat in the production of it.

I use soy flour because it's cheap and high protein and then just throw in a shitload of eggs. Additional plus of that is it keeps the bread moist. Downside is it makes it very heavy. But I make tortillas if I want something light - masa harina is very nice.

you either have celiac's or you are full of shit. or a fuckin idiot who has IBS and has no idea what a fodmap is

It sucks dick, I fucking hate it, and I have no choice.

Someone out there eat some buttermilk biscuits for me. I miss it.

Maybe cealiacs. It was wheat that emptied my bowels, so it's wheat I avoid. None of the other traditional IBS triggers get me going, thank fuck. Imagine going without garlic and onions.

it's 100% awful and the worst thing that has ever happened to me in my entire life

Damn, I didn't know that about soy sauce

Is it even possible for a restaurant to be 100% gf? FUCK

Gluten intolerance is a hoax created by people with celiac disease to scare normies into wanting gluten-free products to entice companies into producing more gluten-free products so that the people who actually have celiac can enjoy them.

Except GF facsimile bread products are fucking horrible in 99% of cases. It's more enjoyable and easier to just eat tortillas and stuff made from potatoes, chickpeas and rice as GF carbs

lmayo

you are literally subhuman if you can't eat anything bread related
I'm not joking, you shouldn't be allowed to breed.

Hipster, gluten free treats tend to be pretty tasty. So long as they taste good, they're alright in my books.

Fad diets are all retarded. Unless you have a disease or something you should just stick to the 90's food pyramid.

Gluten Morgan!

They may keep their oil hot enough to destroy the protein matrix, user. I'd ask.

I think the threshold is 260 degrees C.

>Protein matrix
I'd like to learn more

onlysometimesclever.wordpress.com/2009/09/23/gluten-deteriorates-in-high-temps/

Frying doesn't destroy gluten proteins

I don't care because pure water is always gluten free.