Why were the mario chapters the best chapters?

why were the mario chapters the best chapters?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Dornacker
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

As long as we agree Orin's chapters were the worst. But really, I found Don or Hal's to be the best, I just found the narrative in them pretty fun.

it's weird I really didn't like Don. I didn't mind Orin.

Yeah, Orin's weren't my favorite at all. They were good when the PGOAT were involved (like the flashback to the whole dinner in Kentucky), but they were kinda dull otherwise, which is a shame because it could have been good. I have a feeling some of the stuff about him and The Moms was cut.

Actually, his first chapter wasn't bad. Sun like a sneaky keyhole to hell, the cockroaches. I liked that. And the BU flashback.

Mario's were great. So we're PGOAT's, so we're don's and Poor Tony's

dunno, the only ones i love from the book are from don and the ennet house. maximum comfy, and that showdown is off the wall fantastic

>it's an underwater chapter

Mario is the Alyosha of the book. He's the most pure and, outward appearances notwithstanding, the most normal. He's the emotional and (with Gately) moral core of the book

kek fuck you

I agree with this

The Orin chapter about how he lied about killing to family dog was good.

>wahoo!
>DING DING
>Let's a-go!
>LEVEL UP
>woop woop woop
>BONUS STAGE
>Mario be cry

what did Dave mean by this?

>it's a Steeply and Marathe chapter

>It's a 30 page footnote chapter

Gave up half way through that, should I try carrying on?

Idk, it's up to you. You'll never be allowed to opine on the book though because you tapped out early like a pussy

p.s. the footnotes get longer.

I liked Marathe a lot though

>it's a wallace novel
Dont waste ya time. Read Oblivion instead.

That fucking gif holy shit

Unironicly my favorite chapters

>it's a history of ONAN chapter
super interesting t bh

requesting that DFW reaction image imgur

really enjoyed those 2bh

Schwarzkommando sections were my favorite to be honest senpai

gately was the best character. Hal was far too two-dimensional. yeaa i'm smart, yea i'm good at tennis. yeah there's nothing else interesting about you.

best chapters imo were when Lenz bags up the cats, when it goes through all of the things you learn in AA, obviously when Orin kills the Moms dog, eschaton (meme), hal phone call to orin when he says about "angle of incidence to the sun", Gately Abiding. Also when himself talks to gately it's very very good.

not to go all dear diary but i also really enjoyed the chapter, relatively short, where peemster tries to convince hal to take drugs again. kind of reminiscent to my, like, situation where my friends laugh in my face and call me a weirdo when I say no to going to social smoking sessions; Because when I do I get sucked into a vortex where I need to be intoxicated every second of the day or I'm miserable otherwise.

oh yeah and when it talks about Hal, the cool hip mask, anhedonia, masking the self incontinent of sentimentality and need.

reminds me a lot of myself also.

>Avril
What the fuck was her problem

I liked the ebonics

can't keep her legs closed lmao

>When you realize Veeky Forums has actually read Infinite Jest
>sniffs

I loved the Hal - Orin phone call, but the Hal - Mario conversations just made me feel for Mario. Truely the best kid in the book.
Also: the comfy wintermorning in the dorm of the ETA.. Accept for the one kid's forehead being ripped off.

I actually read the comfy morning chapter with almost exact same conditions outside. Sitting by the fireplace with a coffee for max comfy

>Accept for the one kid's forehead being ripped off.
I liked that part a lot, very spooky

it wasn't just his forehead it was his entire face.

disgusting

>Inner Infant
>Accomplice!
>those descriptions of depression and suicide

>inner infant
Oh fuck I completely repressed my memory of that chapter, what the fuck was that

>instead
sides, orbit, et but cetera

It turns out that 17 goes into 51 way more than 3 times (or whatever the exact ratio was, which I can't seem to find atm)

>tfw you are like Hal

I liked them. Some of the more straightforward chapters in terms of addressing themes

Did Orin get caught and interrogated by the AFR at the end?

Yeah but he lives. Says so in the first few pages. Nobody really knows why.

>"I do things like get in a taxi and say "AGAAABABGABGBWAAAGABAGAABHAHAABWA"

>he wasn't patrician enough to enjoy the schwarzgerät hallucinations

To be honest, I feel sorry for you senpai

*sniffs*

>the most normal

The opposite, it's Mario's anormality, that is signified through his appearance, that contrasts the normality of the people surrounding him, which are suffering under the american culture of cynisism, performance pressure and sarcasm.

>Hal was far too two-dimensional. yeaa i'm smart, yea i'm good at tennis. yeah there's nothing else interesting about you.
Shitty reading of Hal's character. A tip: Sometimes, after a longer passage or a chapter, or even after a sentence, stop reading and think about what you've just read. This way your judgement of characters me rise above what you've just written.

Didn't like these very much. All of the commentary on American life felt ve4t juvenile and forced compared to the rest of the book

any time the Peemster shows up makes it the best chapters

Pemulis is objectively the most based character.

double dubs confirm

btw, w2c yachting cap?

Mostly because of Browser's (sic?) character depth

The first chapter/corresponding end note for the ridge scenes confused the fuck out of me on my first passing. Quadruple agency was too much for my pseudy brain

The Inner Infant chapter is lowkey the key to the whole book
Consider: the Entertainment is actually just a baby's POV looking up at Joelle saying "I'm sorry" again and again

>Everybody has that one weird friend who was way too into M*A*S*H

...from which all communications abruptly cease

It was now, beyond any shadow of a doubt, snowing.

Kittenplan's face was a Toltec death mask.

Nobody like to think about the fact that Carol Spode had used the one exact same Wilson racket for her entire time at ETA.

"Waive something shiny in his face."

Ok I get this whole picture except the "Too Late" red line
Was the thing the attaché watched the original cartridge?

>I'm sorry you are sad, Hal. You seem sad.

Hal, Gately & co. were too late to find the entertainment because Orin already had it.

>Raquel!

Steeply/marate chapters shouldve been cut

Describe hal's personality

t. pleb

He doesnt mean mario is the most average, he means mario is the most sane. Hes right about that and about mario being the book's alyosha.

Pleb? lol. They were the chapters that spoonfed you the book's themes. They're also written in an annoying "Frenchy English" style because marathe is in the scene. Not to mention michael pietsch, the guy who edited the book, agrees with me. He wanted them cut, saying they were the scenes he was least looking forward to rereading. In the end, he caved to wallaces stubborness.

Pleased to see an IJ thread with people actually fucking discussing the book for once

I feel like I need to reread the Maranthe/Steeply convos, but yeah, at first go, they are the least interesting (aside from some of the minor Ennet house denizen's episodes)

I wish I hadn't rushed through the last two hundred pages

they're the best of the book, by far.

>the wraith appeared

no z-axis

>Wardine was cry

>tfw you'll never read the Johnny Gentle chapters again.

so much fun

>it's a kate gompert chapter

b-but muh waifu

Urine trouble?
Urine luck!

The color monitor lands on its back with its screen blinking ERROR at the white sky.

Randy Lenz did nothing wrong

It's not a lob.

why didn't Ingersoll just say he was attacking Senegal or where ever they were on the map when he directly attacked Kittenplan?

he wasn't the swiftest ship in Her Majesty's fleet in terms of like, upstairs

...a butt like two bulldogs in a bag

Sierra Leone. Lord explains this - the TRIGSIT listed no targets in Sierra Leone. The SSTRACs were the players and their launchers.

Man, i loved this book.
Thanks for reminding me user.

why was one's life referred to as a "map" and why was conversing called "interfacing"?

Inner infant was fucking hilarious, I was laughin so hard

Hence the requirement of actual physical targeting skill that separates Eschaton from rotisserie league holocaust games

God and Satan play poker with Tarot cards for the soul of an alcoholic sandwich-bag salesman obsessed with Bernini's "The Ecstasy of Saint Therese."

I can feel one side of my face start to cook.

the "map" business always read like a reference to Baudrillard's Desert of the Real.

interfacing i assume to make conversation and interaction seem more mechanical

I am a bricklayer by trade. On the day of the accident, March 27, I was working alone on the roof of a new six story building. When I completed my work, I discovered that I had about 900 kg. of brick left over. Rather than laboriously carry the bricks down by hand, I decided to lower them in a barrel by using a pulley which fortunately was attached to the side of the building at the sixth floor. Securing the rope at ground level, I went up to the roof, swung the barrel out and loaded the brick into it. Then I went back to the ground and untied the rope, holding it tightly to insure a slow descent of the 900 kg of bricks. You will note in block #11 of the accident reporting form that I weigh 75 kg.

Due to my surprise at being jerked off the ground so suddenly, I lost my presence of mind and forgot to let go of the rope. Needless to say, I proceeded at a rapid rate up the side of the building. In the vicinity of the third floor I met the barrel coming down. This explains the fractured skull and the broken collar bone.

Slowed only slightly, I continued my rapid ascent not stopping until the fingers of my right hand were two knuckles deep into the pulleys. Fortunately, by this time, I had regained my presence of mind, and was able to hold tightly to the rope in spite of considerable pain. At approximately the same time, however, the barrel of bricks hit the ground and the bottom fell out of the barrel from the force of hitting the ground.

Devoid of the weight of the bricks, the barrel now weighed approximately 30 kg. I refer you again to my weight of 75 kg in block #11. As you could imagine, still holding the rope, I began a rather rapid descent from the pulley down the side of the building. In the vicinity of the third floor, I met the barrel coming up. This accounts for the two fractured ankles and the laceration of my legs and lower body.

The encounter with the barrel slowed me enough to lessen my impact with the brick-strewn ground below. I am sorry to report, however, that as I lay there on the bricks in considerable pain, unable to stand or move and watching the empty barrel six stories above me, I again lost my presence of mind and unfortunately let go of the rope, causing the barrel to begin a

because dfw was astoundingly autistic

The Moms' letter to Orin is modeled on "Letters From Mamma" or "Things Are Fine In Mt. Idy" collected as a book, written by "Charley Weaver"'s Mamma, Weaver a fictional character created and played by Clifford Arquette.

There was in fact a lethal traffic report helicopter crash which did kill a female reporter, which happened in the years prior to IJ's initial publication.

...Gately supine with his side on fire while newcomer Joelle v.D. raises her veil slightly to lick the sweat off his lids and temples, whispering to the veil flutters around and fans him, promising him a P.M. of near-terminal pleasures, undressing at the foot of the old tall bed , slowly, her loose light clothes moist with sweat and falling easily to the bare floor, and an incredible female body, an inhuman body, the sort of body Gately's only ever seen with a staple in the navel, a body like something you'd win in a raffle; and a fifth post forms on the four-poster, so to speak, which erect post's long dormant height obscures the nude newcomer's figure; and then when she moves around out of the pulsing shadow to lean in close and press her inhuman body's face right up intimately close to his, she removes the veil, and on top of this body to die for is the unveiled historical likeness of fucking Winston Churchill, complete with cigar and jowls and bulldog scowl...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Dornacker

Orin's chapters were my favorite. Fight me.

if it's one of conversations between Hal and Orin you absolutely ought to read it. They're hilarious and pretty important to the story, if I recall correctly.

I thought map meant face