Soups and Broths

I'm looking for some good recipes for soups and broths, want to try some stuff out.

Boil hot dogs
Keep the water
Wa la

Pho bro

Maybe.
That looks pretty nice

Idk, it's just what spices you're in the mood for. The procedure is always the same. Brown the meat, saute the vegetables, add the herbs and spices for a minute, deglaze with a stock that matches the meat and simmer for 2-3 hours. I guess I'm even becoming cynical about cooking a stew.

>tfw you unironically hate your own fucking country.

homemade chicken stock is the easiest thing in the world to make. keep veggie scraps (onion ends and skins, carrot and celery tips, garlic skins, fennel fronds, parsley stems, etc) in a bag in the freezer and add to the bag as you use the veggies. after you roast a chicken (or get a rotisserie chicken), save the carcass. If you're roasting the chicken yourself, chop off the wingtips before roasting and save the neck from the giblets bag (toss 'em in the freezer.)

When you have a good bag of veggies and a carcass, toss the carcass (and wingtips/neck, if you have it) into a big pot and cover with cold water. Bring it to a rapid boil, then turn down the heat to a simmer and cook for 5-10 minutes, skimming any foam from the top. Then dump in your veggie scraps and bring up the heat to BARELY simmering. You wanna see a bubble every minute or two. Toss in a bay leaf or two and some peppercorns, and cook for as many hours as you've got (2-3 is okay, but I usually do this on a weekend or a day off when I can cook it for 6-8 hours.)

That's it. Strain everything and you've got a fucking amazing stock.

I have a leftover lamb bone from easter but I can't crack it open to get the marrow. Is there any good way to do this?

a saw retard

What did he mean by this ?

Pressure cooker for an hour or so until the bone becomes soft

Speaking of bones, where the fuck do you get pork bones? Well, Asian supermarkets have it but I'm not sure about the quality of the meats there desu.

Find a poor store in your neighborhood they will have pork neckbones and trotters (pigs feet). they make awesome pork stocks.

That's what a cleaver is for, user.

Pic related.

That would destroy the marrow rendering the whole exercise pointless.

From the butcher. Also, many supermarkets sell cheap cuts that are heavy on the bone. Mine often have "pork riblets" on sale terribly cheap. Pig's feet and hocks are also fantastic for making stock.

When I make a stock I know I'm going to use for Pho, I use Bok Choy instead of celery and throw in a little 5 spice.

That's all I got.

Had to go to the poor persons market today. This is what you're looking for.

Thanks. Nice of you to take a picture for me.

I've tried making a tonkotsu broth a couple times lately but I just can't get it right. It's like it's not rich enough or something.

3 lbs pork feet, chicken carcass, leek, white scallions, ginger, ton of garlic, some mushrooms and pork fatback. I get the creamy color, but taste has much to be desired. After it's done, for a single serving I add green onions, garlic, soy sauce, salt, what am I missing? What am I doing wrong here?

I would love to try some type of tsukemen but I don't know if I'm confident in my skills enough to get it right

Have you tried leaving it overnight, then reheating it the next day?

Yep. I strain and then reduce down to 3 quarts. It's really thicc but it's just not quite everything. I don't live in a large town and there is a lack of Asian stores. Have to make do with what I have.

Made some chicken stock for the first time, the stock took me a total of 10 hours to make. It would have been delicious if my dog didn't knock it over.

Guess a McChicken is fine too.

Needs more msg

Try throwing in some ham hocks as well as the feet? It might not be traditional but it'll add a nice flavor. Use this recipe if you can get your hands on pork belly: www.justonecookbook.com/homemade-chashu

Use the leftover reduced sauce from the belly to flavor the broth as well.

just search "mexican meat market" in yelp/gmaps

I like to make straight stock without veggies, as I tend to use my stocks with a lot of other spicy stuff and don't want the addition of spices or veggies for the recipes.

I buy a whole chicken. Cut off and save the legs/thighs/breasts in the fridge/freezer. Then I cut off the winglets and separate the back bone from the breast bone and toss it all in a stock pot. Cover with water and bring to a boil, then turn the heat down to the lowest possible setting and let it simmer overnight while I sleep.

In the morning I strain and cool the stock, then freeze what I'm not going to use immediately. I salvage the meat and consume it for breakfast. I usually get about 4 quarts of chicken stock this way.

This week I'm going to use it to make a gumbo and some collard greens with smoked ham hocks, onion, and bell pepper.

Why don't you just buy chicken frames from the Asian market for like 70c each?

You know you can use your oven to make stock. Any temperature over 180F will extract bone goodness. A bit safer than using the stovetop flame.

Because I'm not a cucked urbanite living in, or near, an area that's been invaded and colonized by Asians.

Electric oven, user. No flames.

basic black bean soup

chop some onions and garlic
saute onions in oil in a kettle or other dish you can make soup in.
once translucent, add garlic and chipotle peppers from adobo
once the garlic translucent, pour in some pre-boiled black beans
once they've mixed well and good with the veggies, add a bit of chicken stock to thin it
add some feta or other cheese for extra fat and protein
blitz into a smooth soup
serve

you can add spices to it when sauteing the onions, such as ground cumin etc. if you feel like it.

Sucks to be you then, you're paying top dollar for everything then. I'm in one of the most isolated capital cities on this planet and even we have Asian grocers.

>being an unlucky flyover

sucks2bu

here's a good soup

Bo bun hue

nice

>cut the kernels off 4-5 ears of corn (don't use canned or frozen) and set aside
>chop 3 leeks (wash well) and 1/2 an onion, get them in a big stock pot
>sweat in butter on medium heat until softened but not browned
>add 3 cloves of minced garlic and cook for a couple of minutes or until fragrant
>peel and chop 3 potatoes, then add them + corn + a bay leaf + 2-3 cups vegetable stock to the pot
>bring to simmer and cook until the potatoes are completely soft
>if you want the soup chunky, mash the potatoes lightly with a fork; if you want it more smooth take out 2 cups and puree in a blender before adding it back in
>take off the heat and add 1/2 cup of heavy cream
>serve with chives or crumbled bacon on top

Tom Kha Gai

Avgolemono