Hey /sic/ Veeky Forums here. Is there a scientific field that's as competitive as say business or investment?

Hey /sic/ Veeky Forums here. Is there a scientific field that's as competitive as say business or investment?

What is the wall street of science?

Metallurgy

>business
>investment
>fields

>Something I never said
user you must be at least 18+ years old to post here. Come back once you complete basic reading comprehension.

Really? Would never have guessed. Why is that?

EE

Everything else is a joke

Define 'business'
Define 'investment'
Then tell me why they're competitive

For some reason in US all the old metallurgy and ceramics departments merged into "materials science and engineering"

Maybe a dozen or so schools in the US left with actual metallurgy departments - but the demand in industry is there for metallurgists. Everybody that comes out of undergraduate at my uni gets a job and probably makes 70K+ starting out. Those with MS/PHD never have trouble finding a job in industry and start 100K+

The one downside is while there are plenty of jobs, it is niche so you have to go where the jobs are, you can't just move to a random city and find a metallurgist job.

That's competitive for the employer.
What I meant was competitive for the employee.
As in you have tons of people with the degree willing to slit each others throat to get the job.

Still interesting though.

>Define 'business'
>Define 'investment'
>Then tell me why they're competitive
No. If you need all that you are not qualified to answer the question.

If you can't clearly explain yourself you shouldn't become a scientist

Ah, misunderstood. Professors especially in any pure science field seem to be obsessed with their impact factor and being a professor at the best university etc. if you count that.

Also it's really hard to get a job as professor, know some physics PhDs that wanted to be a professor but couldn't find a job for it so went to work for wall street doing some sort of mathematical modeling.

OP is a retard

/thread

>If you can't clearly explain yourself you shouldn't become a scientist
>Hey /sic/ Veeky Forums here.
Reading comprehension.

Interesting. I guess "those who can't do, teach" stops holding true at the PHD level.

what the fuck do you even mean? this is a retarded question. jewing and letting a program invest for you isn't competitive at all

>this is a retarded question.
>immedately says something retarded.
>jewing and letting a program invest for you isn't competitive at all

Let me just make this perfectly clear since I now realize i'm talking to a bunch of people living outside the norm of society.

The majority of people working for investment company's like Goldman Sachs would slit you're throat and leave you dead on the sidewalk if it would make them a single penny. Over dramatic, yes but it gets the point across.

This is what competitive means. Willing to fuck over friends, co-workers, family, anybody, for the tiniest of advantages.

>call his question retarded
>answers with a literal NO YOU
NO YOU

>sorry I didn't mean competitive I mean people in business and investment are greedy criminals

oooohhh
yeah academia has that a bit but not as much as business

No user. I meant competitive.
Greedy criminals are out gangbanging and robbing you're local 7/11.

Competitive investment bankers are just highly comparative professionals.

Pharma

I've deciphered OP's attempts at communication. I think the answer he is looking for is artificial intelligence/machine learning and more specifically, self driving cars.

Wall Street, Detroit and Silicon Valley are all throwing heaps of money at the problem, hiring the best academics.

All of them.
Academia is cutthroat hell

It's the same way in academia. It's incredibly cutthroat. It's actually more competitive than finance because you're competing with literal geniuses and not wannabe Gordon Geckos who think they're hardcore because they read 'The 48 Laws of Power' and convinced themselves they're Patrick Bateman-tier narcissistic sociopaths.

While murder isn't really a thing, sabotage and theft are everyday occurrences.