HP Lovecraft

I've recently had the urge to start reading HP Lovecraft. What are good stories of his to start with? I read The Call of Cthulu some time ago but might need to reread it as my memory of it pretty foggy.

The Cats of Ulthar

I like The Rats in the Walls.

At the Mountains of Madness. Also what is the story with the German submarine?

The Call of Cthulhu, The Shadow Over Innsmouth, The Dunwich Horror, The Whisperer in Darkness, The Colour Out of Space, The Haunter of the Dark, The Shadow out of Time, The Horror at Red Hook, The Dreams in the Witch-House, At the Mountains of Madness, The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, The Music of Erich Zann, Herbert West–Reanimator, The Temple

Best of Lovecraft imo.

The Temple

These guys know whats up.

Also the White Ship, The Quest of Iranon and Facts Concerning the Late Arthur Jermyn and His Family

Also The Nameless City and Nyarlathotep

His complete works are somewhere

>The high house in the mist
>The call of Cthulhu
>The rats in the walls
>The shadow out of time
>At the mountains of madness
>Pickman's model
>The colour out of space

My favorite is The music of Erich Zann, check out these

Why does Lovecraft look autistic in every photograph?

He had a whole slew of mental disorders and never could into other people

Why it is said that it was racist, especially with the Latins. Maybe the scholars of the subject, have some reason.

Why is Lovecraft considered a bad writer?

After reading Joshi's biography I came to the conclusion that he did have High Functioning Autism. Btw I am also a sperg so I can tell.

That's the worst chart I have seen.

You can read all his stories completely for free on hplovecraft.com. Also did anyone else print out entire novels from this site to have it physical or is it just me? I just can't read this shit virtual.

Also you can get The Complete Fiction of H.P. Lovecraft for 20 bucks. It has every major story in a bit over 1100 pages. Plus the cover looks great.

Actually a pretty solid chart.

I like Lovecraft but his works are often a case of strong ideas, shitty execution.

At the Mountains of Madness starts strong but the latter half is just pure exposition which the main character apparently reads off some stone pictographs. The Shadow Over Innsmouth rather then gradually revealing the towns horrors (or even better hinting at it) instead has an exposition dump by some crazy homeless dude. The Shadow Out of Time is very similiar in that it spells out its twist rather then hinting at it.

My dissapointment probably stems from the fact what we call "Lovecraftian horror" is actually quite different to the way in which Lovecraft wrote. IMO the best Lovecraftian horror only hints at the horrors happening behind the scenes of regular human society - Lovecraft himself however had a lot of big ideas and meticulously lays them out to the reader.

For what it's worth my favourite Lovecraft work, The Thing on the Doorstep, isn't particularly popular nor fit with the standard Lovecraft story. It's basically Lovecraft going full autist because his buddy got a girlfriend and is acting different.

>The Rats in the Walls
>The Colour out of Space
>Quest of Iranon
>Cats of Ulthar

Is Houellebecq's essay on him any good?

depend on your interests

Old Ones/Outer Gods and other spooks:
Nyarlathotep
The Haunter of the Dark
The Call of Cthulhu (i don't like it much but i think it's a good introduction)
The Colour Out of Space
The Dunwich Horror
The case of Charles Dexter Ward
Herbert West - Reanimator
Pickman's model
At the Mountains of Madness (badly paced but if you want juicy canon lore read it)
Facts Concerning the Late Arthur Jermyn and His Family
Dreams at the Witch House
the Rats in the Walls
The Hound
Imprisoned with the Pharaoh

the Cthulhu Mythos was vastly expanded by Lin Carter, August Derleth, Robert M. Price and based Clark Asthon Smith, if you want more the "Cycle" series by Robert M. Price is pretty good. Start with the Nyarlathotep Cycle

based Dream Cycle:
Azathoth
Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath
The Quest of Iranon
Celephais
Polaris
The Doom that came to Sarnath
The White Ship
Ex Oblivione
The Silver Key
Through The Gates Of The Silver Key

If you like this style of narration and you're starting to become a Lovecraft weeb i suggest "the Book Of Eibon" by Robert M. Price, pretty comfy

Agree with these three anons.

I'd recommend reading "The Watchers out of time", pretty good altough I don't see it being named a lot, probably because it's only in collections rather than its own book.

>implying

>never could into other people
Yeah, that's why he had dozens of friends and acquaintances, some of which he would visit frequently.

Just read the Colour Out of Space and move on.

The H P Podcraft podcast is pretty good if you want a companion to reading yourself