Which STEM degrees do you consider not worth studying?

Which STEM degrees do you consider not worth studying?

Other urls found in this thread:

bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/aerospace-engineers.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Anything with "Bio" in it.

Exception: Biomedical Engineering

(Big money to be made by exploiting humans that can't repress their biological desire to live forever.)

If by "not worth studying" you mean "has poor market value" then probably this desu (and maybe CS from a bad school). If, however, you mean "utterly worthless as a pursuit" then I'd say just CS. There's nothing you can't learn on your own in that.

>Nothing you can't learn on your own
You can literally everything on your own.
Perhaps you won't be able to get lab experience, but not every non-CS degree has lab classes.

Also, gl getting a CS job without a degree. Self thought wont get you CS jobs, only software engineering jobs.

Self thought programmers overvalue themselves. They don't know how much they don't know.

-t self thought programmer now doing a CS degree

mathematics

>without a degree
I was assuming OP was asking the question with a view to picking a major.

The guy was saying CS was useless because you can learn it on your own.

Since you can learn pretty much anything on your own it's pointless to do it without the intention of getting a job.

So it's an important factor in deciding the "usefulness" of a degree.

Business/Finance.

It's easy and you can do anything with it.

>STEM

Honestly, Engineering isn't worth it if you just want a maths heavy education and high income. If you don't love engineering then there's far too much side work with labs/CAD Graphics/actually doing shit with your hands like a fucking caveman.

Just study financial maths/applied computational maths and sell your soul to a big finance company for a few years.

Live minimally, save hard, you'll get out before 30/35 with good savings, cash buy a house and then you can always day trade/invest/consult to supplement income.

Thank me later.

Nigga that plan only works if you have a degree from a top 10

>The guy was saying CS was useless because you can learn it on your own.

Yes I was because it's 100% true.

>Since you can learn pretty much anything on your own

Not true. There are a lot of topics where tuition comes in very useful. The same can not be said of CS.

Finance or business just seem like the most soul sucking thing ever, even if it gets paid we'll.

I'd rather work 60 hours on something I like for a shitty research scientist wage.

And I've been trying to tell you that just because you can learn it on your own doesn't mean it's useless. Because you can learn anything on your own, making university useless for knowledge aqusition. And only useful for resources (like labs) and the piece of paper that allows you to get jobs you otherwise could not get. Also makes getting visa s easier if you want to work abroad.

Um, it's STEAM now?

>doing shit with your hands like a fucking caveman
Are you a walking vagina or something?

Nope, I fucking love it (Mech Eng) but a lot of people who dropped out/switched to a BSc in Maths were women/nerdish types who couldn't hack spending hours upon end in the workshop.

They're probably gonna earn more once they hit that finance desk and it suits them better, hence if OP was looking for a less demanding course with high income then a BSc in Financial Maths/Applied Computational Maths.

no

Don't be the idiot that makes his own major. Don't major in anything unless the program's been around for 5+ years. The more requirements a major has, the harder it's going to be to schedule your classes with good professors. Also the more courses you take, the less opportunities you have to do research on the side.

If you're maintaining less than a 3.2+ GPA in your major, you picked a major that was too difficult for you. If you're complaining about how easy the workload is, spend more time on research.

I've got a ~2.6 in mine though I can definitely say its not for the difficulty of the material.

Some of us just never learned time/resource management when we were kids or even in highschool and didn't have a point where it mattered until college. It can take a while to learn, even just basic shit like "don't spend hours doing the homework in an unnecessarily tedious way" (like by trying to write literally everything in latex) or "actually keep a schedule written and on your person so you don't forget to show up to exams".

I've literally failed like four classes by switching around final/midterm exam times. At this point I just put literally everything into google calendar and have it give me a half-dozen notifications in the hour or two before anything.

I hear bio-statistics it's also quite lucrative.

Working with your hands is fun, I'm in pure maths but working with stuff and making/fixing stuff is fun. I'll never get people who hate it so much

This only applies if you go to a top school. Economics/Finance degrees are worthless

It is. I made that mistake. You can go into finance with a stem degree at any time. You cannot do the reverse.

This is how you end up trying to get a second degree part time while continuing in the soul sucking day-to-day of self-perpetuating bullshit that is finance. It sucks.

Want to sell your sould? Get a stem degree, watch some Kahn academy finance videos and send out resumes. You will probably beat out the state school finance grads and MBAs in the interview process.

Psychology.

>tfw forestry major
feels good to be in an excellent program in an expanding field full of people on the brink of retirement

enjoy fighting pajeets while I fuck ur dog, retards

What does someone with a forestry major even do? Scream about preventing forest fires to kids?

Biochemistry is cool

because of the license requirements to do engineering work professionally it is a very lucrative area of the economy.

what to build/fix anything in America you have to get a licensed engineer to approve it or else its illegal.

to obtain your license to proactive engineering professionally you must first obtain a 4 year degree from an accredited college.

if you are not obtaining a degree that will allow you to later obtain a license you are doing it wrong.

>tfw studied pharmacology
>tfw literally everyone with a decent degree in the field gets headhunted because demand is that high

feels good man

enjoy making 30k for the rest of your life.

I have a BME degree and I wish I had gotten a bioinformatics degree (or better yet CS but I hate CS)

Hey fellow forestry student. What school?
Doesn't it feel good knowing you didn't follow the flock in other popular degrees and now the demand is so high in our field we're basically 100% guarranted a job + the salaries are going up cause supply/demand

>30k
Average salary in Canada for a forest engineer is closer to 100K :^)

>pajeets do the programming because they'll do their practically blue collar occupation on a computer screen for far cheaper than entitled Westerners
>math majors do the research

CS DEGREE TOTALLY RELEVANT I SWEAR!

In my experience, math majors are generally not the ones doing research in computer science. Every research scientist I've ever known (in computer science) (including myself), has completed at least one CS degree.

silicon valley prefers math majors who have a (5.6% post-graduation unemployment rate) for research positions in comparison to Computer Science (8.7% post-graduation unemployment) and IT (14.7% post graduation unemployment).

American Computer Scientists have roughly 50% working in their field with 30% citing a lack of job availability being the fact they don't work in computer science.

Top end research is done by math majors with the gaps filled in with computer scientists because there's too little math majors to meet R&D demand.

All your anecdotal experience tells us is that you've never set foot in any research or corporate R&D environment that has done any meaningful work.

This

t. math major with a 12" dick making $300k starting

Where are these statistics coming from? Please provide a citation.

>all your anecdotal evidence...

I see that you're threatened by the idea that people with degrees in computer science are often the ones doing research in computation. I also see that you're threatened further by the thought that people with a trio of mathematics degrees don't necessarily dominate computing research.

>never done meaningful work

If leading my own work at top-5 US research universities, the largest FFRDCs, and Google is "meaningless," so be it.

What meaningful research have you done that causes you to question my own? I'm honestly curious.

A little more scrutiny:

>math majors 5.6 post-graduation employment rate
>computer science 8.7 post-graduation unemployment
>IT 14.7 post-graduation employment

Nice unverified statistics, but none of these speak to the percentage of people working in computational R&D who do not have a
graduate or undergraduate degree in computer science. Further,
none of these support the claim that "silicon valley prefers math majors." (Pro-tip: they don't.)

>American Computer Scientists have roughly 50% working in their field with 30% citing a lack of job availability being the fact they don't work in computer science.

Both unverified and irrelevant. We're concerned with the pool of employed computer scientists.

The first three come from the 2013 Hard Times piece from the
Georgetown Center on Education and the Workforce

50% comes from National Center for Education Statistics (2013) it's actually 64%

30% citing lack of job availability comes from Education Statistics (2013) as well

But as we want to be petty about citations
Prove it! Prove it! Prove it! Citation!
Pro tip's unverified and uncited!

What does Veeky Forums think about getting a BS in Computer Engineering, then going to grad school for Biomedical Engineering?

no. do EE -> Biomed.

any other engineering besides mech/civil/EE and maybe Chem E is a fucking meme overspecialization thats an absolute waste of time at the undergrad level.

Threadly reminder that "STEM" is a marketing term invented by big business to flood the labor markets and drive down wages.

Every time you say it you're contributing to falling wages in the already underpaid technical fields.

>Genetics
>Population biology
>Bioinformatics
>Biotechnology

I personally know 3 math lovers who got a degree in engineering but hated it so became math teachers. Don't become an engineer if you love math, do something with math.

Any here study Population genetics? How much CS do I need?

Can you give me some examples on how to use these formulas I learn in my courses in something practical it seems all for nothing each and every day Im told ideal conditions we can assume such anf such what about anything in the real world?

>Just computer science

I say this because the degree by itself has a lot of bullshit credits; computer science has interesting points, but you need to slag through a lot of brainlet shit to get it in a strict CS degree program. You'll end up taking a bunch of software engineering and writing courses that are a massive waste of time and money. That being said, it's excellent as half of a joint major (math or statistics), or as a minor.

Maybe you're not getting hired, because you don't know how to spell words you idiot.

it is have a family member that works at Baxter makes good money.

Pretty much the biology. It fucking sucks.

Chemistry is almost there, but there are still surprisingly good gigs for BSc degree chemists (~60K starting). The vast majority however are soul crushing lab tech positions.

You need to PhD in chemistry if you want to get anywhere. And you need to choose a field that is niche, but has plentiful jobs. You'd be surprised how many people go to grad school without considering their career prospects afterwards.

Most STEM careers usually good job prospects. I can't think of any with poor job prospects. You might had well asked for your question which high-school sports is should I study. It all depends on the person.

But that is the same for biology.
If you go into genetics, populations biology or bioinformatics yo will definitely get a job. Most people who go into biology however don't want the first and likely haven't even heard of the other two until after they get their degree.
I made sure to study the fuck out of what I want to do and I am leaning towards population genetics.

>forest engineer
"johnson I'm going to need you do calculate the energy balance for that tree, maybe we could optimize the forest more"

wish I could tell this to every freshman considering aerospace engineering.

Obviously the cream of the crop of any graduating class will go on to have a lucrative career, but at least with mech/civil/chemE the substandard students can probably find a decent job at a humpty dumpty plant somewhere

always gives me a good laugh how every single aero engineer i meet has a nasa or spaceX sticker on their laptop

a surprising amount of biology majors I talk to say they "love animals"

its not the 1700s anymore lmao biology isnt just finding and drawing animals anymore

even the mid tier students have to compete really hard in aerospace. the funniest shit are the mechatronics guys.

I wish I can tell every freshmen not to consider aerospace engineering seeing how it has poor job prospects.

Number of Jobs, 2014 72,500
Job Outlook, 2014-24 -2% (Decline)
Employment Change, 2014-24 -1,600

bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/aerospace-engineers.htm

As someone that was a contractor for that aforementioned institution most of the hiring is done by references or through the really good interns that stay on after summer ends. I am a mech e, they really dont care too much what major unless you are applying for a civil servant position in which case you need to do a phd relating to some sortof aerospace system or mission but that comes after undergrad so it really doesn't matter at all.