Never before has one video summed up our times

youtube.com/watch?v=BfxlgHBaxEU

I saw this on /tv/.

He's crying over a vacuous medium; who gives a fuck? The medium's shit, and still it left him behind. How pathetic.
Hayao Miyazaki should either go back to making oscar bait dumb dumb style-over-substance kids movies, or commit suicide.

Stupid weebs. You'll never understand anything from the real world. Back to /a/ with you.

This is the literature board though.

>loses faith in humanity from a tech demo

The real life version of this scene from Westworld.

as someone who is an ai programmer, i have to say, he has a point. we are losing faith in ourselves.

That was the most interesting thing he said in that video. Humans build systems because they lack integrity and eventually become dependent on them. Because we no longer can handle certain responsibilities, we want them to be automated.

But of course, when we allow new systems to take care of things for us, it lets us focus on other things we couldn't focus on before, which is a good thing. As an old man it might be harder for him to see that, which is natural.

the real problem with society is highlighted exactly in this post (and I imagine replies to mine). What we lost, when we opted to let mathematics take a front seat in our societies, is not our humanity per se, but our ability to rationalize in a truly nuanced way, other people's arguments. To make our own arguments too.

Instead of really taking into account and approaching Miyazaki's argument and trying to understand its nuances and implications this poster starts off his reply with an oversimplification, a judgement and a reductionist perspective. These are all qualities that might be useful in tackling a mathematical equation but perhaps not with a "real life" (i put that in quotations deliberately) example.

For example in mathematics if we can prove that collary B of an argument or generalization A is incorrect then we can completely discredit generalization A, But this is not how things work when...for example having a convesation or argument about human lives.

For example if I prove that killing a person in one example is justified I cannot come to the conclusion that the statement "killing is wrong" is objectively incorrect. It's more nuanced than that. That's what we've lost and continue to lose. It's our ability to communicate.

pfft what a retard

them young chinese fellas need to watchtheir carb intake

>All those buttblasted comments

What's more is that in analyzing an argument, we often take it for granted that if a certain PART of an argument is invalid then the entire argument is invalid. But this is not true necessarily. Just because one part of an argument is untrue does not invalidate the implications and consequences proposed by entire argument like in mathematics.

Just because, for example, I disagree with Miyazaki for one part of his argument (lets say for example, that animators are causing people to lose faith or something i dunno) does not mean that I disagree with his entire argument. Or that I ought to.

His entire argument is based around a disable person having to walk weird being similar to a zombie crawling on the ground by contorting its body and using its head as an extra leg.

I dunno, man. That seems kind of retarded.

No, that's not his entire argument, moron. He's saying he finds it offensive and a mockery of life. He uses the anecdote as an example.

Maybe it's complete nonsense, but I really like the 'sagely old guy man dropping some serious oriental wisdon' aesthetic he has going on

It's not an argument. He's describing how he FEELS about the program.

>People spend countless hours creating new yet impractical technology to product art while Miyazaki breathes new life into his medium everytime he creates a new movie
I'll take a master of an old but proven technology over mathematician gooks developing new and pointless technology any day.

this

yeah i just don't see the point of art unless it was made by a human being.

i guess in the longrun this could be good for soulsucking creative jobs like birthday cards, commercials, graphic design etc, which would free up the artists stuck making those things as a backup plan to work on projects they actually actually care about.

Describing how you feel about something, using an example from your personal life, and then presenting same to a group, is an argument. Now, it may not be the most /rigorous/ argument from a logical point of view, but it can nevertheless be a very compelling argument when done properly. It helps if you're some old venerable anime fuck with all kinds of cultural cred, that nobody wants to get on the wrong side of, yet he chooses to dismiss you or fuck with your because he doesn't like your zombies. This is called rhetoric. It is a valid form of argumentation exactly because it succeeds to persuade others.

Rhetoric entails both components of reason and of emotion, which are the elements which persuade other human beings. For you to totally dismiss one or the other of these facets of rhetoric is for you demonstrate that you yourself do not understand how argumentation, debate and rhetoric, as they have always been practiced among human beings, actually works.

Now, to pivot onto something else.

For the record, I am not siding with Miyazaki. I instead think it very disingenuous and stupid on his part that his movies have included so many novel, strange, weird movements, /which are obviously intended to evoke the whole range of human emotions and reactions including the creepy side of things in order to produce a meaningful work of art, yet he looks at this test sample and excoriates it to the face of the creators, and then he gets to sit there like a smug shit because he's Miyazaki with the same glasses forever and the coiffed beard. Fuck you. You, Miyazaki, have had artistic occasion to call upon exactly these same types of creepiness. They ought to have pointed that out to him, and put him in his place, but no, he's Walt fucking Disney and you don't put Walt Disney in his place. They should have. If just one of them had had just a little alpha game, somewhere deep down inside, they might have managed it. I could see that they were understandably visibly upset, and /did/ want to tell this old fuck to fuck himself. But no one had the stones.

I am happy for them that they made their creepy abomination. Good for them.

go to bed stefan

The same thing is happening with video games. People are praising VR like it's the second coming of Christ because they're desperate for innovation and "muh immersion", yet some of the most immersive games I've played are purely ASCII. Just more corporations selling consumers on things they don't need and calling it "necessary technical innovation".

it's like motion control a few years ago

Yea I'm starting to feel the same way as a person in the STEM field. I was having a conversation with a biology student and he said that love doesn't exist and it is just a series of neurons firing or something along those lines (I know little of biology). It bothered me.

Even that was better. It was cheap so it could appeal to non-gamers. Now Kike Fuckerburg want's every American to sit in virtual stadiums for streaming events, and charge people more for better virtual seats.

Miyazaki
is
S H I T
H
I
T

Miyazaki's there because they said this inhuman computer animation would be perfect for his upcoming movie about a caterpillar. I feel bad for the dudes getting ripped on by someone they probably idolise.

They are wise men. Miyazaki is very correct.

Even if his statement "we are reaching the end of times" is not correct literally (as in the world ending), it is correct because life as we know it is very rapidly approaching an end.

I have seen it for a while too, and it terrifies me. What I believe to be coming ever closer is both scary and disgusting to me. If people in the future know of these days and understand, they will long for them.

I am scared for humanity. I am scared that we are becoming less human.

I did feel bad about that as well. They seemed very upset by what he said, and I imagine they were disappointed. But he was still right.

Princess Kaguya was a tremendous achievement, but gimme that simple Miyazaki magical children's stuff any day.

Love exists and it is a connection of neurons. Ideas exist and they are connections of neurons. Beauty is not harmed through explanation.

May be so, but the way this person described it bothered me. As if it were some meaningless side effect the brain produces.

Holy shit those guys got roasted. Miyazaki is the master of IRL shitposting.

>Hayao Miyazaki should either go back to making oscar bait dumb dumb style-over-substance kids movies, or commit suicide.
you got shit on for this post (kind of?) but its 100% accurate

Miyazaki is fucking crap, his movies are all the same self-insert boring faggot with the same strong girl and some cheap conflict caused by greed and resolved in a stupid and juvenile way. He is even worse than the ones he criticise because he actually takes himself serious.

KYS/CS

he's truly just some passive-aggressive pacifist faggot. he's honestly probably a green anarchist and unironic social justice warrior. someone should have clocked him when he was a kid, he might not have turned out to be such an insufferable pussy.

Grave of the Fireflies was some of the most embarrassing and trite shit ive seen.

You lost this argument the moment you posted this wall of text.

Yeah it bothered me a some point to but their is beauty in it too. Everything is made of something. Love is real like rocks or weather and it all interacts with no self imposed distinction.

Oh god my spelling.

And that's called rhetoric.

there is beauty to be found in algorithms too. look at the procedurally generated caves in minecraft. they can be just another tool for the animator to use.

ladies and gentlemen, the death of intellectualism.

>all these edgelord tryhards itt

>ladies and gentlemen, the death of intellectualism.

tfw to intelligent to read some autistic rant

If you read the article in the video description, it has a better translation and he outright says "The people who make this are probably doing it without being considerate of things like pain. This is extremely unpleasant." He brings up his disabled friend because he's trying to make a point that his friend makes awkward, stilted movements, but he's still a person who experiences pain, both physical and emotional.

He's not bitching because it's creepy and they're aping his shtick, but because he feels it's cheap and disrespectful to living things. The man shits out vibrant settings, and his creepy characters are designed to be sympathetic and pained in addition to being creepy. A twitchy thing that drags itself across the ground and doesn't feel pain is an insult because of how thoughtless it is, it's just grotesque for the sake of grotesque, and he has no desire to be involved with such a thing.

Basically, Miyazaki's mad because their dumb CGI monster violates his character design ethos in a big way.

There was nothing intellectual about that post, just the uncontrolled whining of no one.

I enjoyed reading his argument, though I don't agree with it. I know this is Veeky Forums, but comments like yours are really what's shitting up this website. It's so easy to lay back and just tell people they are stupid without listing any reasons. Why did he lose the argument, pray tell?

Takahata directed that one, mein fuhrer.

Goose step back to pol already

Let me sing you a song

>On the day that you were born the angels got together.
>And decided to create a piece of shit.
>So, they sprinkled dog crap in your hair of brown,
>And cat crap in your eyes of poo.
>That is why all the girls in town leave when you're around.
>Just like me, they long to be apart from you...

Veeky Forums - random

my b, but nausicaa wasnt any better, and neither were any of his other films.

my neighbor totoro is probably his best because it doesn't overreach so badly.

literally anime was a mistake

>CyVR89RUUAAW4Se.jpg

I thought Miyazaki was being way to harsh but the fact that they were proposing it to him makes the entire scene make more sense.

Yeah, but his argument boils down to "you don't know what it's like". I don't disagree with that but that doesn't make him less of a dick for shitting on those guys. They were just doing a presentation for a game or animation, and they got results. You can't live off on empathy alone, at some point you have to break some eggs.

I mean, it's just an old man sad because some animation reminded him of a crippled friend and moaning because things are not what they used to be yadda yadda, should we pretend he's a deep, wise man making a point because he drew some good hentai or something back in the day or should we laugh at him for taking CGI way too seriously like the senile gook he is? I say kill yourselves.

Examining his argument critically, I'm not sure what his point is.

Yes, it must be terrible for his friend to have such limited movement. Zombies are not alive, however. Given the entire concept of a zombie, and the resulting deterioration in the brain/limbs/etc, then it makes sense that they might develop novel - albeit grotesque - means by which to get around and infect/eat others.

Also, if you wanted one video from this guy to sum up our times, you'd have been better off posting the one where he trashes otaku.

Yeah, right? Like, it's his fault for being friends with a cripple.

Miyazaki is bitter as fuck, a real old pacifist misanthrope. If you manage to piss him off you're probably doing something good.

Hey man, this post well well written and it helped me understand the video.
Thanks.

>What we lost
Breh "we" never had what you're descriving to begin with. Math doesn't have anything to do with people being broadsweeping idiots.

i'm sure there are people that would say the same thing about anime

>Old cunt making no sense
>Hey man, this post well well written and it helped me understand the video. Thanks.
Just fuck off, weeb

in your example of mathematics, you seem to think people judge the "validity" of an instance to disprove the argument itself. in basic sentential logic, there is a huge and significant gap between validity and soundness.

as you must know, if i say:
>if P, then Q
the observable truth of either P or Q only affects the argument's validity in one negative way. neither P nor Q has to be true in order for my assumption to be valid. the only way it can be invalid is if P is true while Q is false.

of course, this evolves into the first-order logic of predicates and quantifiers—upon which almost all of the mathematics you invoke is based. you deride the original poster for oversimplification, but miss the human element of logical reasoning.

and as for proving that killing a person can ever be justified, olde kant would like to have a word.

The lenghts "people" go to defend their anime idols

I have reaction images from various sources. They just didn't' seem to fit.
Incidentally I hate most anime and manga, but poputepipikku I will enthusiastically defend.

Just don't kill in-group members without a good reason. Everyone else is fair game.

Humans are an incredibly violent race but every ethnic/tribal/cultural group obeys this principle.

i agree, and i think freud's critique of "universal love" is part of why he's so shittalked in academia today. it's a simplified version of the concept, but he basically said that you only have enough psychic energy (which of course didn't mean new age hokum) to go around, and it's impossible to love everyone. if you do, then it's likely that your object of love is not a human being, but love itself.

that psuedo-christian conception of "universal love" is a legitimate neurosis according to freud. in reality, people benefit from carefully cultivating relationships and prioritizing important ones over bullshit connections with strangers. it's really not what christ was talking about, but of course the message was distorted and subverted over time.

doing as kant says implies that you think everyone else has a basic ability to reason, and so if you don't kill anyone, neither will anyone else. this is obviously fucking stupid—some people have a limited capacity to reason, while others simply don't and will never engage it.

>p.s. verne troyer has a big dick for a midget

>humanism
He is right in the sense that it's a mockery of life and pain. It's a denial of biology; it's the mechanical mind coldly manipulating flesh and tissue according to its own programmed purposes rather than our own. But I don't see anything egregious about that. Yes it's disturbing, but why is it disturbing? It's disturbing because we have assumptions about the way animals and organisms should move and act, we have assumptions about the value of pain and human consciousness, and to see a representation of ourselves ignore those values, to ignore efficiency and self-preservation and empathy and physiology is both unusual and a bit frightening. AI will not respect humanity. This animation isn't thoughtless at all, I see lots of potential for thought. Yes it can be abused but so can Hitchcock's dolly zoom, like any other artistic technique.

one of the reasons i thought miyazaki was being a little bitch is that the team was designing the animation for a FUCKING horror game. since miyazaki was unsettled, he then claims that it is wrong against humanity. the whole point of the animation was to unnerve the player because those movements couldn't be imagined by a typical human.

i happen to agree with his overall conclusion that humanity is on a bunk track to a futureless future, but they did their jobs well. why the fuck was he even in the room? what authority did he have to judge these ugly fuckers for meeting their goals? why did he invoke pathos with his gay crippled friend, which is the weakest form of reasoning?

It's still a bad idea to kill people willy nilly. They might be part of a group and the encounter might give you PTSD. And direct confrontation cn be dangerous.

To treat people equally is to treat them for what they aren't. It's really unfair in a way. You should give and demand a modicum of decency but never assume.

>Love exists and it is a connection of neurons. Ideas exist and they are connections of neurons. Beauty is not harmed through explanation.

The experience itself cannot be reduced to material. Learn philosophy moron.

This.
He is a cranky old man.
They were showing him something a computer had done and he got mad at them for it.
>old miserable fuck kills mailman for delivering bills

as a neuroscientist, i believe that study of the ancients should be mandatory before a diploma. otherwise, you have a directionless circlejerk over minutiae that really isn't advancing our fields.

>the material conditional is the only one
>muh art vs. science, emotion vs. logic

can non-logicians please stop appropriating our work

>implying that i confuse the material conditional with the indicative conditional
>implying that i didn't argue for a non-binary view of mathematical logic
>implying that all 777 pages in my copy of GEB are not sticky from years of my collected semen

Miyazaki is wrong here, getting all opinionated about a fucking AI generated animation.

Miyazaki is just a commie SJW that thinks so highly of himself and so low of the medium that he works in.

appreciate the developed post user- thanks

>implying GEB isn't a pop-science book

>implying i don't pop off a juicy load to it anyways

They seemed like pretty well thought out posts user - regardless of whether I agree with their content. Reproaching like that isn't aiding the discussion

the sentiment is correct but it'snot mathematics you idiot it's capitalism

No, it's the "STEM is everything and nothing else matters" attitude.

>what authority did he have to judge these ugly fuckers for meeting their goals?
Who tf are you... Demonizing a man for showing compassion in his field of work. Get real.

lmao is that guy cumming?

this

Why are Japanese so fucking beta? kek

Why no one has the balls to say: What the fuck are you talking about your halfman friend?

No wonder why japaneses are C U CKED by Americans.

He probably just quoted Rick and Morty, and you shouldn't listen to him because he is just a fukkin memer

Love is a series of neurons firing, releasing chemicals (oxytocin in particular) to facilitate stronger bonds between partners in times of child rearing. Oxytocin increases the chances that both parents will remain invested in their genetic offspring and thus carry on the genetic lineage that they their whole lives fought to protect and reproduce. Chemicals protecting chemicals protecting chemicals.

Although this is a cynical way to view love, I find that though there may be some scientific explanation behind it, the way humans react to and treat love is what makes it so profound.

someone stop this trans*phobe

i agree with this.

maybe he's also just insecure.

the thing with great, successful people is that they tend to feel like they're excused to be arrogant, which they're not.

I think he was trying to say that by creating this machine entity that doesn't feel pain as a lark they've turned their back on humanity and the real struggle of pain. The story about his friend was just to show them the real life world they've left behind. Read more about Miyazaki and this is a big deal to him, that people are retreating into fantasy and intellectual world's instead of exploring real life. He was disgusted when he found out that not one of the animators that worked for him knew what it looked like when a snake falls out of a tree, or knew what it looks like to force a dog to eat medicine. He had to take them all on a field trip to a farm just so they could see what real animals actually look like.

He has a point, but these beliefs need to stay in Japan. It's the only place in the world where I personally believe that you can get away with that traditionalist shit. These guys who are presenting this to Miyazaki are complete idiots for wasting their own time, and Studio Ghibli's. He's too much of an over-zealous, ancient fuck to deviate from what he's already doing, and with good reason.

I have never seen a Miyazaki film.

This

But what Miyazaki was most disgusted by was their total lack of introspection or philosophy to their work. He asked them why they were doing what they were doing and they looked like deer in the fucking headlights. One guy mustered up 'make a machine that can draw as well as a human' and you can tell it's probably the first time he's uttered out loud what is the closest thing they have to a fucking principle, mainly because it's retarded. Why? What's the benefit? If he'd thought about it all before that moment he would have had something to say that didn't so transparently need further qualification.
They're just like those engineers making spy tech for the government, so jazzed with their fucking tech and paychecks that they never question the reason that they're doing any of it

>40% of young Japanese men (under 34) are virgins

>For example in mathematics if we can prove that collary B of an argument or generalization A is incorrect then we can completely discredit generalization A

but that's false, you fucking idiot

Hahaha too perfect