What's Veeky Forums's opinion on botany?

I'm just curious as you rarely see botany or even biology discussed here.

Sounds interesting and comfy.

Sitting in your lab doing cultures of some bitch-ass awesome fungi, yi boi!

that's not botany imo

What do you consider to be botany?

study and classification of plants

You mean like picture and comment above?

Botany sounds pretty nice, you get to grow an bunch of comfy plant-friends and study them

entomology is also fun, you get to spend time outside and catch some bug friends. im doing ENT classes rn to have a change of pace from all my physics-type classes. Pic is a fun roach friend i made

It's gay

>an bunch of comfy plant-friends
>some bug friends
>a fun roach friend i made
I love this board

I really like botany, I spent most of my life studying animals and ignoring plants, until I got to into ecology then plants became relevant and interesting
Biologists aren't on Veeky Forums because biologist are too busy outside to argue with brainlet engineers about the merits of Iq tests.
Also the word "math" seems to scare empirical biologists

I wanted to be an entomologist when I was 4 and didn't really know about marine life,
Bugs r kewl yo, lit lit lit lit lit
I want to buy a stereoscope eventually and apply my local biodiversty to agroecology

To be fair, both biology and chemistry get very few threads relative to math and physics, so it's nothing inherent to biology. It's just that most undergrads here are engineers and mathematicians, so threads about math problems are very common. Also because math problems are convenient to use as threads, while problems in biology or chemistry might involve experimental setups and lots of advanced knowledge that is simply impossible to cover in a few short posts.

I remember there was a large poll on Veeky Forums a couple months ago, biology and chemistry students put together number slightly lower than just the physics undergrads on this board. And a lot less than mathematicians and especially engineers.

> be retarded normie
> haven't committed to EE since they were 10
> "hurrr I like plants I'll study botany"

Let me guess? You are curious because you just saw that Mars movie? Or perhaps you heard that ayahuasca hippie scientist is a botanist?

im in cegep (its an between highschool and uni in quebec) and going for entomology at uni, wanted to be one since i'm 3 or 4
anything i should be aware of?

>You are curious because you just saw that Mars movie?
I haven't been to the cinema in years and mostly eschew recent Hollywood cinematographic additions.
>Or perhaps you heard that ayahuasca hippie scientist is a botanist?
Whilst there is nothing inherently wrong with the manufacture or consumption of narcotics, it certainly isn't within my chosen proclivities.
>Let me guess?
You were wrong on all counts. My interest is in the culture of fungi, though a passing interest as I am a double honours student in physics and mathematics.

Useful if you plan to eat or breath anytime soon.

>herbology and busy-work

>too busy outside
More STEM field work needs to be implored in college.
>Asto105 Prof "encouraged" finding high, dark areas for star charting.

>anything i should be aware of?
Job prospects are not the best

I thought about going into entomology, however I took up entomophagy and didn't want to associate my main source of protein with work, or study.

That's a cute Gromphadorhina portentosa.

No you.

This is a good board desu.

This is an underrated post.

I wanted to be either an archaeologist or historian, soldier; physicist or chemist.
>archaeologist or historian
Best kept as hobbies.
>soldier
It hasn't been what I thought it was since arguably the foundation of trading companies, like British East India Company, Dutch East India Company, et alia.
That is, is hasn't been for courty, kinsmen; clan or tribe since truly the mid-modern era and pensively since the end of the '40s to early '50s as the tragedy of WW2 was exploited and utilised toward corporate ends.
As such, you are no longer fighting for the existential right of your kin, but for the pecuniary mass accumulation of the already ostentatiously wealthy.
Though, I still have a deep respect for those willing to risk their lives, as my direct paternal and maternal lines have served in various armies since time immemorial.
>physicist or chemist
Physics and mathematics is my current field of study, whilst chemistry is again, more of a hobby.

True, I was speaking in a generalised way.

Both are important.

Good luck, user.

Very true, user.

I personally think botany is a very comfy science.

t. lived in a small farming village when I was a kid.

> Both are important.

That's beside the point

if someone is a botany major it's because they are a small minded normie who thought "I have to pick a major and I've never thought about my career ever in my entire life, might as well choose botany because it seems like I won't have to do too much math or anything"

>good luck user
what did he mean by this? is it hard?
already knew, don't really care i never wanted to do anything else

Well, whomsoever commits such a heinous moral and intellectual infraction is not only wasting their time, but is clogging the field up for others, who are more dedicated and forthright in their inclination toward botany and I was not offering support for them.
I was merely stating, to paraphrase, that you need the botanist to grow your crop and the electrical engineer to design the robotics used in collecting those crop.

Transferring to finish up my Forestry Bachelors in august, what should I know about it going in?

Things I consider botany: the study of the gross anatomy of plants with an emphasis on the comparison of those features across plant species. Botanists have a whole host of knowledge other fields don't. A botanist will ID a plant at the drop of a hat amd rattle off the scientific and common names for that plant and its close relatives and its preferred growth conditions.

OP image looks to me like plant molecular biology, not botany. I see callus growing in some of those vessels; botanists don't do that. Reason is, I'm a plant molecular biologist, and that looks just like something you'd see in my lab, and I don't consider myself a botanist in the slightest.

It a nice science if you are into observing plant structures.

i mean not really. its pretty straightforward. Just go and learn about bugs, i guess

Is biology the niggers of science?

well thank you user

>botany
>fungi

>He doesn't know the definition of botany.

It's more like the women of science. Computer "scientists" are the niggers of science.

no U

Don't you like forestry too maybe?
I'm a forestry major here in Québec and we have entomology classes too. But if entomology is what you love and you don't care about being guaranteed a job then go for it. I just went for forestry cause it has more value on the job market than a pure science degree and I still get to study some of the things I like (entomology, plant physiology...)

>Also the word "math" seems to scare empirical biologists
distressing

>the niggers of
stop

too bad you can't downvote him, right?

Fuck off reddit

No you niggerfaggot.

i do like forestry but not enough to make a living out of it.

fungi is included in the nomenclature of higher plants. all the different groups of algae, slime molds, photosynthetic eugeloids etc. are also in the code including cyanobacteria despite them being bacteria

This user knows what it's about.

I thought that was mycology?

Honestly it would be my second choice if I wasn't so interested in genetics. In undergrad I used to take care of the greenhouse at my college and it was probably my favorite part of the day.

You do know schools can have subschools (or branches) right?