What's your favorite way of preparing chicken liver?

What's your favorite way of preparing chicken liver?

throwing it in the trash pail

Throwing it in the garbage where it belongs

cantcooks detected! why are you even on this board if you can't cook tasty chicken livers?

jew style pate

you can cook them anyway you want. they still fucking suck. I've had them cooked two ways and I won't be having them prepared a 3rd way.

Never been a fan of liver or organ meats in general. You expect liver to have the same succulent texture as regular meat but then its all gritty and bitter. It's gross.

>being an upstate NYer
I've heard no one else but them and people from around Erie PA say "trash pail."

Dirty rice. Run that shit through the mincer, mix with American-style breakfast "sausage" (if it ain't in a casing, it ain't sausage, Amerifriends) and saute with Cajun trinity.
Stir in par-cooked (NOT parboiled) rice, add just enough stock as necessary, cook the rice through and stir in lotsa fresh parsley and fresh cracked pepper. Best thing to do with chicken liver, IMO.

it's all a ruse I was being autistic on purpose I don't actually say trash pail

On a fish hook

>I've had them cooked two ways and I won't be having them prepared a 3rd way.

cantcook confirmed!

>why are you even on this board if you can't cook

I'm just here for the dank memes and flame b8ing

Sauteed with caramelized onions and wine.

I throw mine in the compost bin because the city will fine me for throwing food waste in the trash can.

>I'm just here for the dank memes and flame b8ing

Why? Both of those are silly wastes of time.

Dirty rice generally does NOT contain "sausage meat", but would contain hearts and gizzards as well.

I love eating the hearts, but I just can't get the liver to taste decent.

Well memed my friend

>Why? Both of those are silly wastes of time.

Oh my sweet summer child

See? There's that silly timewasting again.

The trick is not to overcook it. Either that, or use it in a dish where you cook the piss out of it. Overcooked liver is foul.

>See? There's that silly timewasting again.

You're the one engaging in a fruitless argument with a troll...

brown the livers in butter, with garlic and/or thyme if you want, until they're pink inside. Remove thyme, deglaze the pan with brandy or cognac depending on your wallet. Throw everything in the mixer until it's completely smooth. Fold in whipped cream. Refrigerate a few hours, eat with a baguette or whatever crusty bread you have.

While I can neither confirm nor deny your claim with any authority being that I'm not American and therefore have no lifelong exposure to the dish in question, I can say that my ex is an Amerigroid from South Carolina whose family ran a restaurant. Their dirty rice recipe contained chicken (or pork) liver and breakfast sausage meat. Looking it up, it seems that this is the lowcountry method of making it v the Cajun/Creole way. Since my ex's family are from the lowcountry, that's the one I'm familiar with.

I thought it was the standard way to make it, but turns out it's just a regional variation of the standard you described. Still very, very good and I highly recommend ya try it.

It's only good for pate

>Since my ex's family are from the lowcountry, that's the one I'm familiar with.

Thanks for mentioning that, I had no idea there was a lowcountry version at all. I thought the Cajun was really the only type.

Though, what you say makes perfect sense. There is a lot of crossover between lowcountry and cajun cooking. I've been cooking Perlou since I saw Sean Brock make it on Mind of a Chef last year...and then I got to thinking about how similar it is to Jambalaya...

First soaked in buttermilk for some time, then wrap strip of bacon on each and bake them, but careful not to over do it.

Wow, I'm surprised that works well. Bacon wrapped things in the oven take ages to cook compared to the cooking time for a chicken liver. I would think that even with very thin bacon the liver would be overcooked to fuck by the time the bacon was crisp.

...and I forgot to mention you have the similarity between "red beans and rice" and "hoppin john"....the seafood boils....it just goes on and on.

Nope, I think the soaking prevents them from getting overcooked too quickly, it's always been one of my favorite kind of "snack" comfort foods.

saute in various different ways with various different things

I agree with you. I'd be concerned about the liver overcooking before the bacon was done. I just like to coat them in olive oil, salt and pepper, spread on a cookie sheet and bake them, checking constantly to make sure they don't over cook. There are very few things worse than overcooked liver.

this was my fav food as a kid (besides sweets and stuff)
my granny always breaded them

wrap in cheesecloth and put on a 3/0 straight shank, carolina rigged and wait.

make that a weedless straight shank

Deep fry it like Cracker Barrel does

soak in milk overnight

fried with lots of hot sauce

>uses a hook and line to get big catfish
>doesn't noodle by sticking his gloved hands into mud bank catfish breeding holes and pull out 30 lb catfish by the lip

Get better, senpai. Nothing like nailing those fuckers on a post, skinning and cutting off some fine steaks. Sitting in a john boat hoping to get a bite, from at best, a 5lb channel doesn't match up.

Crisp em up real good in the skillet, then add em to my bolognese.

Pate, sells at the place I work.

Chicken gizzard, proventriculus, liver, and heart adobo

What do you call upstate, because I live north of Syracuse and we call it a trash can.

You best not be calling Binghamton "upstate", friendo.

I like it simple, just cook them in garlic, add a bit of salt and lemon. Chicken liver is fine on its own.

Chicken's gizzard taste better. I'm serious here.

With mushrooms and gnocchi usually, sauteed with shallot, garlic, pan deglazed with cognac, seasoned with salt/pepper, whole sage leaves, knot of butter and hit of cream at the end. Not a "spring dish" more of an Autumn or Winter meal, also works with duck livers.

Sounds good.

I used to flat with a head chef. Frenchman. He was obsessed with cooking up chicken liver this, chicken liver that. It all tastes like dried up blood to me.

>mfw I buy a whole chicken at the grocery store to cut up and fry and there is no giblet bag in the chicken
>mfw when no fried chicken liver or heart

Gonna make moi some dirty rice

Oh, not in Syracuse, no. It's an Albany expression.

Slam dunking it into a dumpster.

Chicken liver is foul.

>Use it as poor people filler and try as hard as you can to cover up the chicken liver flavor

Sounds about right.

Also acceptable. Turn that shitty, gritty, bitter, metallic garbage into delicious fish or crab.

Chicken liver mousse / pate is really really fantastic. I just googled a couple of recipes and mixed them together with what I thought would be nice.
(fresh thyme and orange peel are very good, as well as a little bit of brandy. I have added some mustard and green apples too, that is okay. Mushrooms and onions are both fantastic, improve the pate a lot).

You just clean the chickie livers, sautee the veggies you want to add until they are soft, cook the chicken livers until lightly browned on both sides (in butter) and blend everything up with some cream or evaporated milk and brandy and it's TASTY AS FUCK

I sometimes thinly mince it and add it to a bolognese ragu if I have some laying around. Don't buy them too often.
Else you can just pan fry and deglaze with liquor.

Foul or Fowl?

Chicken Liver Pates are godly.

>put on hook
>cast in water
>catch catfish
>cook catfish instead.

I haven't had chicken livers that I've enjoyed yet. Any good place to have them or recipes? Maybe I just don't like them, but I don't feel like I've tried them enough times yet.

I did go to a german place that had baby beef liver though, and I thought that was very good.

Breaded and fried. Fucking great. I'm from the deep south and have a special place in my heart and palate for soul food and this is one of the greats.

on a fish hook bc i dont eat bait that my dinner eats

how do you guys get your chicken livers? do you get them in a tub soaked in some red shit or do you get them fresh from a counter or something. Only cooked with veal liver and it was like the latter, very good

Deep fried with gizzards nigga

salt and dust with oregano, dredge and fry with onion, garlic, chili pepper (chiltepin are my favorites for it) , and nopales
finish off the fry with a little vinegar, whiskey or tequila about a minute out for a tart or boozy glaze
eat with tortillas or cornbread, honey, and butter