ITT: Antiquated words which writers should stop using to not sound pretentious

I'll start:
"Thus"

Other urls found in this thread:

Veeky
reddit.com/r/books
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I disagree. People should not refrain from using certain words.They should use whatever they like as long as it makes practical sense

The only words I have a problem with are "thus" and "whilst", only because redditors misuse them constantly. That's not enough reason for everyone to stop using them.

Antiquated

Fucking Burgers. There's nothing wrong with whilst.

Hello reddiopean

"whilst" is actually common in british vernacular

what would you replace "thus" with? "therefore"? that's even more pretentious. "consequentially"? fuck off using 15 letters instead of 4

"So"

Usually thus is completely superfluous. Example:

An argument is made in the space of this text. I argue that two plus two equals four.

Thus mathematics is true.

well, for starters, while they're using their web browser, and typing in the necessary stuff in order to connect to the renowed website called Veeky Forums, in their address bars they should replace every instance of the phrase "Veeky Forums" with the phrase "reddit". Furthermore, if they haven't already, they should upgrade to the new "/r/" system of board naming. You do this by inserting "/r/" (without the paraphrases) into the address bar, just after the domain name (i.e. ".org", or ".com" if you want the SSL protection), and just before the board name (i.e. "books" if you want to connect to Veeky Forums). Hiro has implemented the /r/ system for a couple of months now and I have no clue why so little people have started using it. There is also an improved selection of boards that were made accessible only through this new /r/ system of board naming (I guess because hiro realized he was slowly running out of letters).

e.g.
HOW TO ACCESS Veeky Forums
old system: Veeky Forums.org/lit
new, improved system: reddit.com/r/books

"God"

the most pretentious thing of all is prescribing diction, you fucking nonce.

>Shaming people for using language
>Not shaming them for using it out of proper context or too frequently

I see the average age of a Veeky Forums poster is still 17?

*throws up in mouth*

That's fucking awful because it's TOO colloquial and modern.

I thought you were dead, Seamus Heaney.

>Thus
>pretentious
what the fuck Veeky Forums

And but so then

whilst

Cuckold is the first one that springs to mind

Thou

Is that Mary from Genki???

>he thinks two words used commonly around the world should be removed from the dictionary because people who browse an internet forum that opposes his use said words too much

"penultimate"
I want to shoot anybody who says it. Nothing can make you sound like a bigger social autist than that word.

meme

kek

Why? It's a useful word and it sounds nice.

Retards.

feminism

pontine

Kek

Nebulous.

It just screams fan fiction/lovecraft loving reddit user

Non Euclidean

>browses a literature board
>can't be bothered to read all of a 28 word post, or else lacks the most basic reading comprehension skills

Read this literally the other day and get the joke. I now feel Veeky Forums as fuck. Thank you bros (is it okay I call you "bros"?). Ergo, nice one ol' chap!

"thus" as a conjunction does something very specefic: it introduces a conclusion that follows from some premises
"so" doesn't do this very well, and "therefore" sounds awful

"thus," and worse, "thusly," as an adverb sounds antiquated and stilted: "she walked from the room thus"

>thus too pretentious
>not ergo

If you think basic conjunctions are too antiquated then you're probably too retarded to be reading books.

pretension is the biggest spook

"the penultimate song was the best"

"the second last song was the best"

I don't do anything in fear I might come off as pretentious.

I've noticed people use the word "piecemeal" wrong a lot. They think it means petty or ineffectual.

"Irregardless" is pretty bad.

OP is probably baiting, but while "thus" is obviously an okay word to use, "thusly" is another fake work like "irregardless" that grinds my gears.

Penultimate is okay if it's used correctly. "Second-to-last" sounds a little too casual for all contexts, imho.

I mean, was signaling your conclusion superfluous?