Any good quantum physics book ?

Do you have any good quantum physics book from which I can learn quantum physics to a graduate degree ?

Other urls found in this thread:

Veeky
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Shankar.

Griffiths is used a lot in undergrad

After Griffiths what is the next step ?

Ok same question what will be the next step after reading shankar and what is the difference between it and Griffiths book ? I heard Sakurai was a good book also.

>after reading shankar
Peskin and Schroeder.

>the difference between it and Griffiths book
Theres a couple of things:
>Path integral formulation
>Discussion of symmetries
>Greater use of formalism
>Introduction to different pictures
>Fewer, yet hard, and more interesting problems

>I heard Sakurai
I've not used it, so I can't really say. I do know he died while writing it.

I used Atkins in my undergrad, gave me a good foundation for grad studies.

Wow you seems to be very knowledgeable on quantum physics. Another question do we needed quantum physics to make most technological advanced things (like space shuttle, etc...) beside quantum computer or classical physic is enough.

My school uses Shankar after Griffiths, don't know about other schools though

Principles of Quantum Mechanics by Dirac

It's a little dated but not obsolete at all, he invented a lot of the notation and I think there's benefit to learning it from him too.

Okey I will probably try that for self studies. What about the last part of feynman book ?

I'm not sure about "most" but yes there's some places where it could be, and is, applied. You're probably going to see it used more in industry as time goes on. But I'm a theorist, so I'm probably not the best person to talk to about that.

Ok as a theorist what are the greatest questions that need to be solved in quantum physics to this day ?

In just Quantum theory? I've no idea, I work in particle theory. If I was to take a bit of a guess I'd say something to do with wavefunction collapse.

What's the relation between quantum physics and particle physics. Particle physics is on level above quantum physics ?

Quantum physics is more of a framework, sort of telling you how to deal with things once the scales become small enough. Particle theory requires more than that, it also needs special relativity. As it turns out creating a unified theory is harder than it sounds, we end up with something called Quantum Field Theory (and I recommended a P&S earlier if you're interested).

oK I hope one day I will be able to understand the books you gave me and to access this knowledge. I have three last question : how many time it take to reach that level in physics and do we need to be a genius ? Does it change something in our life like the way we see the world, the futur ?

>Time
Well I'm in grad school now, so that's 4 years at undergrad and then 1 doing my masters so call it 5 (even though you could learn it all in less time).

>Genius?
No

>Change anything
Also no.

Thanks for the answers mate.

>Another question do we needed quantum physics to make most technological advanced things (like space shuttle, etc...) beside quantum computer or classical physic is enough.
Well, all modern computers are based on semiconductors which work based on quantum principles. Most technology that "uses" quantum physics at the moment doesn't so much use it as rely on the effects that arise naturally from the quantum nature of matter. There's a new generation of quantum technology emerging that actively exploit concepts like superposition and entanglement, that's where things like quantum computation and communication come in.

Why doesn't anybody recommend "Quantum Mechanics by Eugen Merzbacher" or "Quantum Mechanics by Landau and Lifshitz".

I don't recommend books I haven't used myself.

Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Physics_Textbook_Recommendations